Value of: Sami Vatanen to Toronto

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
With Toronto looking to add a top 4 RD, what would Leafs fans give up for Vatanen. He is signed for another year. I assume NJ would have to take some salary back.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If the Leafs are giving up the assets for a top 4 defenseman i'd imagine they would want a better defender with some grit.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'd certainly give up something for him but I doubt the Leafs would be the highest bidder. We really need a top pairing RD and we probably have the pieces to make that deal without sacrificing a lot from the roster assuming a team that's looking to rebuild/retool is looking to part with one closer to the deadline. Vatanen's PP prowess is virtually valueless to the Leafs because we roll two 4-forward units and have Rielly/Gardiner on the back end with Dermott and Zaitsev also capable enough, and while I do think he's a good 2nd pairing guy in the right situation I don't think that's what we need. Zaitsev and Ozhiganov have been ok, and it might actually be time to flip their order in the lineup, but they need someone eating the tough minutes infront of them

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I like Vatanen, even if he's not the best fit. But you won't like the answer to your question.

The most I'd give up is a quantity deal, and no, it would not include Kapanen..

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Vatanen is nice but not exactly the type of D the leafs should be targeting.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Vatanen is nice but not exactly the type of D the leafs should be targeting.

That's how I view it as well. There's exactly one hole on this roster IMO and I see no reason to go after a player that doesn't fill that hole. It's a big hole so it's not going to be easy to fill, but they have plenty of assets so hopefully they get something done before the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad