Sami Niku v. Travis Dermott

Which player would you want on your team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
what exactly would be the argument for Niku? He's a drag on possession quite dramatically both in terms of quality and quantity (one of the worst defensive players in the league in his NHL sample). Dermott is a very good play driver.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Niku was messed up by a car accident the day before training camp, then injured his groin and has been in the doghouse for a long time. The ingredients are all there, he'll get his shot.

Reactions: wetcoast

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Niku's never really been given much real playing time as he's still developing. Dermott is a more solid guy right now but Niku probably has a higher ceiling.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Niku's never really been given much real playing time as he's still developing. Dermott is a more solid guy right now but Niku probably has a higher ceiling.

I don't think people understand how bad Niku's results have been over three seasons. He's been one of the worst D in the whole league over the past three seasons. He gets caved in every time he's on the ice.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Neither guy has been great but I feel that at least Dermott is an everyday D who could still improve.
Last year he looked like he could become a top 4 guy but this year he looks to have taken a step back.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Neither guy has been great but I feel that at least Dermott is an everyday D who could still improve.
Last year he looked like he could become a top 4 guy but this year he looks to have taken a step back.

In what world has Dermott not been great. Even if you think he's a bottom pair D, he's crushed bottom pair D. Niku hasn't even been NHL calibre against bottom apir D.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In what world has Dermott not been great. Even if you think he's a bottom pair D, he's crushed bottom pair D. Niku hasn't even been NHL calibre against bottom apir D.
That’s what I said. He’s the easy choice.
We just have a different definition of ‘great’ I guess. I don’t consider bottom pairing guys ‘great’. Definitely better than Niku though.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't think people understand how bad Niku's results have been over three seasons. He's been one of the worst D in the whole league over the past three seasons. He gets caved in every time he's on the ice.

Have you actually watched Jets games? I wouldn't read into any advanced stats for Niku due to a combination of small sample size and the fact he's basically just been a depth call-up so far without really being played hard. He's also a lot more creative than our normal scrubs so can potentially develop well. I don't watch the AHL much but apparently he won top defenceman a couple years ago so I'd like to see some proper NHL time to assess.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Have you actually watched Jets games? I wouldn't read into any advanced stats for Niku due to a combination of small sample size and the fact he's basically just been a depth call-up so far without really being played hard. He's also a lot more creative than our normal scrubs so can potentially develop well. I don't watch the AHL much but apparently he won top defenceman a couple years ago so I'd like to see some proper NHL time to assess.

We have a significant sample. That's why we should read in to it. So even if you admit he's been a depth call up, Dermott has been a significant member of the Leafs. How exactly is this close?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Dermott contributes on one of the worst defense groups in all of the NHL. The 6th worst. Good for him for playing I guess but it's a pretty low bar. He sucks the life out of the bottom 6 forward group and his main partner Holl would probably want to see anyone else beside him on the ice.

Of that 6th worst defense in the league he was 6th in TOI. To the end of December he was only getting just over 14 minutes/game when the D group was mostly healthy. After December when he got almost 20 minutes his corsi dropped to the 9th worst in that D group strange stat when Leafs fans keep saying he really stepped up and played well.

Some Leaf fans need to take off 20% on this guy. That's not to say he can't get better but currently he's a bottom pair guy on a bottom 6 group of defensemen.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Dermott contributes on one of the worst defense groups in all of the NHL. The 6th worst. Good for him for playing I guess but it's a pretty low bar. He sucks the life out of the bottom 6 forward group and his main partner Holl would probably want to see anyone else beside him on the ice.

Of that 6th worst defense in the league he was 6th in TOI. To the end of December he was only getting just over 14 minutes/game when the D group was mostly healthy. After December when he got almost 20 minutes his corsi dropped to the 9th worst in that D group strange stat when Leafs fans keep saying he really stepped up and played well.

Some Leaf fans need to take off 20% on this guy. That's not to say he can't get better but currently he's a bottom pair guy on a bottom 6 group of defensemen.

How did you come to the conclusion that the Leafs are the 6th worse Dcore in the NHL?

I know it's not just GA, is it?

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think either is great, but Dermott has at least proven that he's an NHL regular. Niku hasn't. Niku is probably more talented, but until he proves it, I'm going with Dermott. I don't think its unrealistic to expect Niku to be more proven now than he is.

Reactions: Dache
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad