Player Discussion Sami Niku and 7D or not?

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Let's wait a bit. He had a terrible first preseason game and just last year Gustafsson had flash of being great. It'll all depend on if he can be consistent. Good first game though. And it shows how much we have no offensive Dman.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Let's wait a bit. He had a terrible first preseason game and just last year Gustafsson had flash of being great. It'll all depend on if he can be consistent. Good first game though. And it shows how much we have no offensive Dman.
Did we try to re-sign Gustaffson?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No I don't think so. I just mean offensive D can look great for short period, but it's how much they can defend that makes the difference in them being alright players.
My idea was that Gustaffson was reasonably reliable in the playoffs, and I wouyld have tried to re-sign him over a Wideman who is even older than Gus. Niku is a very risky player but at least he is a younger guy who might improve.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No I don't think so. I just mean offensive D can look great for short period, but it's how much they can defend that makes the difference in them being alright players.
There needs to be less focus on his defensive play…he’s never going to be Lisdstrom defensively, but he brings attributes no one outside of Petry can bring consistently.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
I respect your opinion but I disagree. I don't think Wideman was extremely bad as you try to portray it.

Romanov was worse than him, to be honest.

No doubt in my mind that we can agree that all 6 of them were horrible.

Reactions: Redux91

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
? They were good. Particularly Perrault. When healthy he had stretches where he was among their most effective players. Niku was AHLs top dman in Wpg and never got a shot with the big club as Maurice didn't like him.
Why didn't he like him you don't waive a guy if he is that talented has to be more to the story.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
WIDEMAN
HURRICANES 5-0
RANGERS 4-2
SABRES 4-1
SHARKS 4-1
MAPLE LEAFS 2-4

NIKU
RED WINGS 3-2
KRACKEN 1-4

Jury still out on Niku. however they will kill the Kracken tonight so it looks as if Wideman will keep sitting. Wideman has played well against the tougher teams, The real issue is Petry and Romanov. Wideman didn't deserve to come out of the lineup when some of the other players have been really slow out of the gate. Also, keep in mind Wideman fed so many great shots to players who were unable to convert so the only remaining issue is Wideman is a right handed shot and Niku is left. Not sure how that will affect anything I imagine this season will have a fair amount of line juggling, Petry has attempted 28 shots only 8 of them on goal so that's where the attention should be.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
There needs to be less focus on his defensive play…he’s never going to be Lisdstrom defensively, but he brings attributes no one outside of Petry can bring consistently.
That's true, but in order to benefit from those attributes you have to play him, and in order to play him he has to display some reliability defensively.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I find Wideman over complicates things sometimes when he gets the puck. He's got to move it to the forwards quicker.

Hopefully Niku can surpass both Kulak and Wideman on the depth chart. But he will have to show consistentcy.
Not sure if you recall the PP in one game he got it to the forwards quickly namely Armina and Caufield and they couldn't get it off their stick. Can't blame any QB on the power play for that.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Why didn't he like him you don't waive a guy if he is that talented has to be more to the story.
I think it was part defensive awareness and part attitude. There was a hockey element to it, but you have to think some of that can be coached and improved. The Jets franchise has always been a gong show in terms of D coaching with Huddy there.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's true, but in order to benefit from those attributes you have to play him, and in order to play him he has to display some reliability defensively.
To a certain degree, yes...although I think the reports about him being "bad" defensively are exaggerated.

Nevertheless, the same way we can ignore limitations with defensive players...why can't we do the same with players who lean more towards offense?

It's almost like every time he steps onto the ice, we're just waiting with baited breath for the slighted defensive mistake to say "A ha! told you he sucks defensively"...how can we fairly evaluate someone when we're just using confirmation bias as the foundation of that evaluation?

Reactions: bopeep

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I think it was part defensive awareness and part attitude. There was a hockey element to it, but you have to think some of that can be coached and improved. The Jets franchise has always been a gong show in terms of D coaching with Huddy there.
Explain the attitude part?

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I wonder if Niku can be our 7th D option to replace Kulak for next year. I hope so. The guy has only played 55 NHL games in his career. He's only 25, which is young for D. I want to see a lot of him this year.

Reactions: Bacchus1

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Nevertheless, the same way we can ignore limitations with defensive players...why can't we do the same with players who lean more towards offense?

It's always about cost/benefit analysis, whether a player is an offensive one, or otherwise. Erik Gustafsson has carved himself a career in the NHL despite being poor defensively, because he's a talented and creative puck mover. Niku's previous organisation has determined that he does not bring enough offensively to outweight his lack of reliability. Whether they were correct remains to be seen.

It's almost like every time he steps onto the ice, we're just waiting with baited breath for the slighted defensive mistake to say "A ha! told you he sucks defensively"...how can we fairly evaluate someone when we're just using confirmation bias as the foundation of that evaluation?

As someone who's been among the handful of Gustafsson's defenders here, I'm going to assume this remark isn't directed at me. Other than that, I agree. Players should be judged based upon the entirety of their contribution, not just one aspect of it.

Niku just turned 25. If he proves to be a serviceable NHL defenceman, I will be very happy.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's always about cost/benefit analysis, whether a player is an offensive one, or otherwise. Erik Gustafsson has carved himself a career in the NHL despite being poor defensively, because he's a talented and creative puck mover. Niku's previous organisation has determined that he does not bring enough offensively to outweight his lack of reliability. Whether they were correct remains to be seen.
The thing is...it's hard to give a guy like Niku, limited minutes/opportunities and then just focus on his defensive mistakes.

Offensive players, by nature, need to play.

As someone who's been among the handful of Gustafsson's defenders here, I'm going to assume this remark isn't directed at me. Other than that, I agree. Players should be judged based upon the entirety of their contribution, not just one aspect of it.

Niku just turned 25. If he proves to be a serviceable NHL defenceman, I will be very happy.
Not at all...just a general comment because I tend that's what everyone focuses on.

Take Niku's only preseason game.

He generated one scoring chance by beating his man at the blueline and fed one of his forwards a nice scoring chance...but then no one covered for him, the Sens went back and scored.

Everyone focused on the fact he pinched and got beat back...but that wasn't the issue, the issue was no forward covered for him, so expecting the deepest man, yes even if he's a Dman, to be the first man back is unrealistic.

Instead, the focus should have been about the nice move he made and chance he created.

But when you're told that he sucks defensively...guess what your only focus is going to be??

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Cause he's a good young hockey player who needs icetime?
The unfortunate thing is, with so many young and unproven players the Habs count on them to be key contributors. There's no one else. Romanov has to be a top 4. Suzuki has to be a number 1. Caulfield has to be a big scorer. Niku or Wideman have to be pp quarterbacks.
It's easier to always compete for the cup if you already have great players and you can throw your young guys into the mix. And when you've drafted well and have talent in the ahl.
However, when you don't rebuild/reset and try to compete every year, and you've drafted poorly, and any of your good talent is already up and forced to play key positions without any stars, well.....
Just wait until injuries start seeping in. There's no one coming up who can help.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure if you recall the PP in one game he got it to the forwards quickly namely Armina and Caufield and they couldn't get it off their stick. Can't blame any QB on the power play for that.

i was talking about 5 on 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad