Player Discussion Sami Niku and 7D or not?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why didn't he like him you don't waive a guy if he is that talented has to be more to the story.
Maurice told him to stop joining the rush or playing to his strengths, and when he did that he played poorly so he got benched.

He was not going to be a stay-at-home defenseman, to Maurice's dismay.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I thought he looked spectacular versus Detroit. I guess that proves (to me anyways) that you can’t get too excited about a young player after a blowout win.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Two games in and it’s Gustafson 2.0. Looks great offensively with a couple points one game and then garbage the next

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I thought he looked spectacular versus Detroit. I guess that proves (to me anyways) that you can’t get too excited about a young player after a blowout win.
Almost every career AHLer can look spectacular vs Detroit.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Again...his mistakes get highlighted, yet he barely plays.

Jeff Petry continues to get away with looking like absolute dog shit, even worse than Niku.

Not a single word.

How about when every other Dman on this team starts playing up to their usual standards, we can focus on every single mistake Niku does.

Until then, he's just like every other Dman on this sad team right now.

Reactions: Dutronc

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
Keep Niku!
He’s doesn’t have nothing to prove in the AHL. Niku has 16 points in 66 NHL games, while only averaging 14:38 minutes per games and 17 seconds of PP time.
I think there is room for improvement and he just turned 25 years old.
I wish him to turn into a light version Dan Boyle.

Last edited:

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Been playing better in my opinion. I feel there is a spot for him if he continues to play this way. You need a guy who can make a pass and QB a PP.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He's a solid enough player. For being shit on as terrible defensively (and yes, it's not the be all-end all stat).. being a +5 on a team that is -50 goal differential this season... is pretty insane.

While he screws up - he's cheap. He has a good first pass. He's got good vision in the offensive zone. Personally... I think he's completely fine as a bottom pairing. I also think you would barely notice him if we actually had... defense above him.

He's still fairly young too... he could definitely continue to improve. I'm a fan.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Is he gonna finish the year in Laval? It seems to be like he was not having a bad year. Maybe he'd be better under MSL? Ducharme didnt gave him much of a chance.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I was more impressed with Niku than Clague. Both aren't good defensively and make plenty of mistakes, but I found Niku to be at least more effective offensively.

Regardless, neither will be here long-term and Schuneman has outplayed both of them by a significant margin.

Reactions: MilesNewton

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I was more impressed with Niku than Clague. Both aren't good defensively and make plenty of mistakes, but I found Niku to be at least more effective offensively.

Regardless, neither will be here long-term and Schuneman has outplayed both of them by a significant margin.
Agree Clague was definitely in over his head

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad