Post-Game Talk (GBU): Same as it ever was.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
G: Letting the days go by
Let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by
Water flowing underground
Into the blue again
Into the silent water
Under the rocks and stones
There is water underground

Letting the days go by
Letting the days go by
Into the blue again
After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Loved loved loved the 55-51 pairing. They seemed very comfortable together.

Girgs, Mack, Des, and maybe Flynn seem like the only forwards that give a damn.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
All I can say is this, the players that are to be the future of this team are full aware of what is going on. And they are on board, you kid yourself if you believe otherwise.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
The fourth line seems to know that they need to play hard if they want to be on the team a few years down the road. Depending on their contract situation the other lines appear to be waiting to be traded or for the arrival of McEichel. Stafford is the exception to the rule, playing hard (well at least scoring) on his way out of town.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I will continue to watch. Not sure I can be optimistic anymore though. Also hate that we could be this bad and still miss out on the top two priZes

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Also hate that we could be this bad and still miss out on the top two priZes

The only team right now with even a semi-realistic shot at overtaking us is Edmonton, as they've only played one more game and are "only" 3 points up.

But do keep in mind that we're a -34 GD in 16 games. That's well over 2 gpg. Now, being THAT bad won't keep up over the course of the season, but we're not a good team. In any way shape or form.

I honestly think right now that we're quite safe being 30th.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
The only team right now with even a semi-realistic shot at overtaking us is Edmonton, as they've only played one more game and are "only" 3 points up.

But do keep in mind that we're a -34 GD in 16 games. That's well over 2 gpg. Now, being THAT bad won't keep up over the course of the season, but we're not a good team. In any way shape or form.

I think I'm just self-handicapping for safety purposes.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Having lived in Pittsburgh for four years Steigerwald is one of the worst announcers in all of professional sports. I feel bad for pens fans who have to hear him nightly.

He's atrocious, and he was especially bad tonight. I feel for any Sabres fan who had to listen to that crap. Errey would try to say something nice about the Sabres young players and he'd just shut it down with another jab.

I don't think the Sabres are X-Generation Pens bad though, there are players on the team with a future, not just the Dan Fochts and Lasse Pirjetas of the world.

Bps21*

The best part of this game was watching ristolainen just say **** it and start flying around the ice in the third period. He's going to be a good one.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND

Yeah, and I don't really see any way Stafford and Stewart will be here after the trade deadline. I can't imagine they'd want to come back here, so Murray will need to get assets back for them. That will make this team somehow even worse.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
He's atrocious, and he was especially bad tonight. I feel for any Sabres fan who had to listen to that crap. Errey would try to say something nice about the Sabres young players and he'd just shut it down with another jab.

I don't think the Sabres are X-Generation Pens bad though, there are players on the team with a future, not just the Dan Fochts and Lasse Pirjetas of the world.
I accidentally switched to the Pens stream at one point and one of the commentators was making fun of Gionta's shoe size. He said something along the lines of "I couldn't believe how small his skates were" for about 2 or 3 times.

:dunno:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I accidentally switched to the Pens stream at one point and one of the commentators was making fun of Gionta's shoe size. He said something along the lines of "I couldn't believe how small his skates were" for about 2 or 3 times.

:dunno:

"4 and a half! 4 and a half!"

That was Errey, he wasn't making fun, he just gets weirdly fixated on seemingly unimportant details. Case in point:

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca

They have actually played 2 less than us (2 games in hand over us). They also have a ROW of 5 while we are sitting at a whopping 1.

The 5 teams closest to us all have games in hand ranging from 2-4.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Relax. Murray can't do anything to improve the team for 66 more games. Once the Sabres have pick #1or 2, Murray can start to deal. The Sabres have a nearly consensus #1 prospect pool to go with three firsts and two seconds this year. He's got plenty of assets to construct a team around McEichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Ristolainen, and Myers.
And you assume McEichel and Reinhart are ready to jump in playing top line minutes for 82 games against experienced men will make that much of a difference? You and other posters have this delusion that our young kids are ready to step in and take these huge roles next year when in truth some might not even be ready next year and could use another season in the AHL or a season in the AHL.

Sabre the Win....

After 2015 draft, this team will rebound quicker than you think. It's not going to take more than a year or two to start seeing better play, better players and better results. I'm not saying or implying the Sabres will be fighting for a playoff spot in 2016. But I bet they won't be bottom 10. And THAT is technically better than last year and this year. Hell, not being bottom 5 will be better :biglaugh:
Unless I start seeing improvement on defense at the least I can't see the Sabres even drafting anywhere in the 10 to 14th range next year. I mean look at Seguin and now look at Dallas hovering at the bottom and tell me how in one year with their in ability to score, the Sabres will be that much better in one year? We're assuming McEichel is going to be putting up Seguin numbers his first year? Sure that's fine but what about the rest of the team? One man won't make that much of a difference unless we start seeing defense because one guy can't win a shootout with every team every night.

This record of "we're not going to be that bad this year" is broken.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
In some ways. The '04 Pens set the NHL record for consecutive losses, and had the specter of relocation over their heads. But I'm not trying to split hairs.
They may have set the record for consecutive losses, but even without the benefit of shootouts to boost their record, that team as a whole was still six points (13 using identical standings systems) better than last year's Sabres, and this year's Sabres are likely worse.

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
And you assume McEichel and Reinhart are ready to jump in playing top line minutes for 82 games against experienced men will make that much of a difference? You and other posters have this delusion that our young kids are ready to step in and take these huge roles next year when in truth some might not even be ready next year and could use another season in the AHL or a season in the AHL.

Unless I start seeing improvement on defense at the least I can't see the Sabres even drafting anywhere in the 10 to 14th range next year. I mean look at Seguin and now look at Dallas hovering at the bottom and tell me how in one year with their in ability to score, the Sabres will be that much better in one year? We're assuming McEichel is going to be putting up Seguin numbers his first year? Sure that's fine but what about the rest of the team? One man won't make that much of a difference unless we start seeing defense because one guy can't win a shootout with every team every night.

Oh no you didn't!!!!! How dare you instill some logical thinking into the tank. Interesting how no one has commented on your post..... Maybe people don't want to envision a a reality where things do go the way everyone thinks

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo

I think that with a couple goal scoring (as opposed to "leadership") vet additions, most of our first rounders (apart from maybe Armia) will be ready for at least sheltered minutes with the big club. I also think that having some actual talent brought in (via trade/FA/call-up) will go a long way to reviving Moulson/Ennis/Hodgson. I'm not necessarily calling for the kids to have the "huge" minute eating roles but enough playing time that they are learning and improving. That's all I want to see next season. It doesn't have to bring us out of the 10-14 pick (or even get us that high) - all I want to see is a respectable improvement over this season's tire fire. (Dropping a few of the 'tank-commander' UFAs will go a long way in this regard)

I think our blue-line next year will really determine whether we wallow at the bottom or work our way (slowly) up. I'm sure most people would agree that the difference between Mezaros/Benoit/Strachan and Pysyk/McCabe/Ruhwedel is night and day - not to mention signing a decent UFA d-man to help the kids transition. The kids will have bad nights (everyone does) and a couple, like Zadorov/McCabe, might need a little more time in the AHL, but overall they're still a substantial improvement from the current defensive roster.

I agree with the points you made - goal scoring will still be an issue next year and our defense needs to be seriously reworked over the summer. I might have a slightly more optimistic view/hope for the future than you but I think that's mainly because I trust Tim Murray to make smart decisions that effect real change this summer, and not just sit on his hands.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I don't think it's that crazy to expect a somewhat improved defense. Ristolainen could really break out at any point in time, and Pysyk should be up next year. McCabe/Zadorov could be on the team next year too. And I have a feeling Murray will look to take Meszaros' 4m and spend it on a better veteran. I'm not expecting a cup next year or anything, but a lot of our best prospects should be transitioning from jrs/AHL to the NHL next season, which will probably result in a lot of youthful mistakes, but also a much higher level of overall talent. Plus, once we get our prize prospect from this draft, I think Murray should be ready to stop stockpiling assets and start really putting together a team. I doubt we'll be in playoff contention next season, but I find it hard to believe they'll be this bad again.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Oh no you didn't!!!!! How dare you instill some logical thinking into the tank. Interesting how no one has commented on your post..... Maybe people don't want to envision a a reality where things do go the way everyone thinks

How many times do we have to comment on it? He has made this post or one similar in multiple threads. Its a strawman argument. No one is suggesting or arguing drafting McDavid or Eichel will in and of itself turn things around.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
How many times do we have to comment on it? He has made this post or one similar in multiple threads. Its a strawman argument. No one is suggesting or arguing drafting McDavid or Eichel will in and of itself turn things around.

Maybe for as many times as someone shrugs off (or even applauds) the present state of affairs with a reference to "tanking" just to grab McDavid or Eichel? Because the natural question, after drafting one or the other, is "then what?"

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Maybe for as many times as someone shrugs off (or even applauds) the present state of affairs with a reference to "tanking" just to grab McDavid or Eichel? Because the natural question, after drafting one or the other, is "then what?"

a question that has been discussed numerous times as joshgull said.

David Byrne

Jul 7, 2014
G: Letting the days go by
Letting the days go by
Into the blue again
Into the silent water
Under the rocks and stones
There is water underground

Letting the days go by
Letting the days go by
Into the blue again
After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime

HudrpLk.gif

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

And that has been answered multiple times. Thats the problem with those that keep going on about these things. They keep ignoring multiple answers to both questions. So instead of moving on to the next part of the discussion. They keep asking the same asked and answered questions over and over and over.

EDIT: at this point it should be understood that the team will improve as Murray replaces the bad possession players with good possession players. With that understanding we should be moving on to questions like…….. How long will that take? What players are options via UFA, trade or from within?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad