Post-Game Talk (GBU): Same as it ever was.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Good:

Face-offs, team combining for 58%, lead by Girgensons (77%!!!), Hodgson (71%) and McCormick (64%)
Girgensons' goal to break the shut-out.
All things Girgensons.
Ennis didn't get "hit" the ref post-game.

Bad:

Face-offs don't necessarily equate to real puck possession.
Gorges -3. Ouch.
Stewart's 19:42 TOI to lead all forwards resulting in 0 shots and 1 hit.
The lines. Truly. Hate 'em.

Sad:

Face-offs didn't equate to real puck possession.

Weird:

Weber somehow not being a -4.

Adorable:

Zad's expression after running Fleury ("omg, oops, sorry but I never get into the o-zone this far, I didn't know there was a goalie here!")

Insanity:

The probability of Benoit & Mesz returning for Tuesday's game.
Nolan truly imagining he can coach hockey when he apparently cannot even be a motivational coach.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
This team is terrible. I ended up watching the Rochester game. Nothing exciting to see except Girgensons, Zadarov and Ristolainen but I cant imagine how inspired they will be to play in Buffalo after this season. I bet everyone wants to jump off this burnign train wreck and I don't blame them. I can't see any positives coming out of this season and it makes me wonder even with McEichel how bad we will still be. One person can't fight this fire alone. Somewhere we are going to have to start seeing defense at least because allowing 40 shots a night is just bad.. really bad.

We won't turn around anything next year. It's going to take multiple years. I expect top 3 draft next year as well and thats just depressing.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sabre the Win....

After 2015 draft, this team will rebound quicker than you think. It's not going to take more than a year or two to start seeing better play, better players and better results. I'm not saying or implying the Sabres will be fighting for a playoff spot in 2016. But I bet they won't be bottom 10. And THAT is technically better than last year and this year. Hell, not being bottom 5 will be better :biglaugh:

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
This is depressing. It was nice to see flashes of greatness from Girgensons, Zadorov, and Ristolainen, but it's amazing how so many of the veterans have disappeared.

Carolina going to OT and St. Louis winning have been about the only pro-tank developments tonight, unfortunately. Arizona and Columbus both lost in regulation and NYI won. I wish we had more to root for than this, but alas.

WNY to NoVA

May 16, 2011
Good:

Face-offs, team combining for 58%, lead by Girgensons (77%!!!), Hodgson (71%) and McCormick (64%)
Girgensons' goal to break the shut-out.
All things Girgensons.
Ennis didn't get "hit" the ref post-game.

Bad:

Face-offs don't necessarily equate to real puck possession.
Gorges -3. Ouch.
Stewart's 19:42 TOI to lead all forwards resulting in 0 shots and 1 hit.
The lines. Truly. Hate 'em.

Sad:

Face-offs didn't equate to real puck possession.

Weird:

Weber somehow not being a -4.

Adorable:

Zad's expression after running Fleury ("omg, oops, sorry but I never get into the o-zone this far, I didn't know there was a goalie here!")

Insanity:

The probability of Benoit & Mesz returning for Tuesday's game.
Nolan truly imagining he can coach hockey when he apparently cannot even be a motivational coach.

the idiot pens tv guy said the same, figure you and him haven't seen him play much

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
the idiot pens tv guy said the same, figure you and him haven't seen him play much

Please take everything that moron says with a grain of salt. He is a embarrassment to the Pens and our fan base. Sorry you had to hear anything that comes out of his mouth.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

Calm down, lol. In your leap to call me an idiot by default, you missed it that the comment was intended as gentle humor, not a bashing.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Steigerwald, the Pens' play-by-play guy, doesn't seem to respect that we were very much in Buffalo's situation, or worse.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Regarding Zadorov running in to Fleury

G:
Rob Ray: "That's a smart move... Run 'em, and then plead innocence."

B:
Rob Ray: "Good job driving to the net"

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
In some ways. The '04 Pens set the NHL record for consecutive losses, and had the specter of relocation over their heads. But I'm not trying to split hairs.

Oh well, then, you really don't belong here - where hair splitting in lieu of easy hockey chatter is the norm ;)

(ps: I still pref Ovechkin, lol)

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
In some ways. The '04 Pens set the NHL record for consecutive losses, and had the specter of relocation over their heads. But I'm not trying to split hairs.

That 2004 team was the one with Dick Tarnstrom as its leading scorer, right? Those were ugly times for the Pens...

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
That 2004 team was the one with Dick Tarnstrom as its leading scorer, right? Those were ugly times for the Pens...

Even more impressive was Rico Fata's -46.

The Sabres already have a decent/arguably better prospect core than those Pens. Just remind yourself it's not forever.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
U: Everything up until the first commercial break. That's when I stopped watching. Clearly not worth losing sleep over.

G: Had a pretty good nights sleep.

B: Didn't sleep until draft day.

I actually uttered the portmanteau 'Zadorable' when that happened on TV.

Let his name be Zadorable when ever he does something great, from here on.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
U:

Double standard for Crosby:
- cross checks Myers in arm
- spears Deslauriers in the stomach

No penalties (other than to Myers who got caught with a retaliatory slash).

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
U: Everything up until the first commercial break. That's when I stopped watching. Clearly not worth losing sleep over.

G: Had a pretty good nights sleep.

B: Didn't sleep until draft day.

Let his name be Zadorable when ever he does something great, from here on.

Can we say "Zadorbs" for short??? :naughty:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Having lived in Pittsburgh for four years Steigerwald is one of the worst announcers in all of professional sports. I feel bad for pens fans who have to hear him nightly.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
That sounds like some sort of medicine. But if it's the right medicine, sure. :)
I think it's Zaditorov........

but read the side effects:

"Burning/stinging/irritation of the eye, headache, stuffy/runny nose, bad taste in your mouth, and increased sensitivity to light may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly."

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This team is terrible. I ended up watching the Rochester game. Nothing exciting to see except Girgensons, Zadarov and Ristolainen but I cant imagine how inspired they will be to play in Buffalo after this season. I bet everyone wants to jump off this burnign train wreck and I don't blame them. I can't see any positives coming out of this season and it makes me wonder even with McEichel how bad we will still be. One person can't fight this fire alone. Somewhere we are going to have to start seeing defense at least because allowing 40 shots a night is just bad.. really bad.

We won't turn around anything next year. It's going to take multiple years. I expect top 3 draft next year as well and thats just depressing.

Relax. Murray can't do anything to improve the team for 66 more games. Once the Sabres have pick #1or 2, Murray can start to deal. The Sabres have a nearly consensus #1 prospect pool to go with three firsts and two seconds this year. He's got plenty of assets to construct a team around McEichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Ristolainen, and Myers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad