NHL Entry Draft: Sam Steel's Final 2020 Mock Draft

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
1. New York Rangers Alexis Lafreniere BPA here, nuff' said
2. Los Angeles KingsTim Stützle I know some people that work w LA, don't want to give too much away, but expect Stutzle going #2
3. Ottawa Senators Quentin Byfield BPA here, Ottawa now has a great piece to build around. Ceiling is Malkin - lite
4. Detroit Red WingsCole Perfetti Makes a lot of sense, and where there is smoke, there is fire. They are close and Perfetti is a good piece to help rebuild the Wings.
5. Ottawa Senators Jake Sanderson Ottawa has ND connects and love D man. Has been some rumors Sanderson goes here and seems like a sens pick. Askarov and Raymond are also attractive here.
6. Anaheim DucksLucas Raymond Ducks get gifted Raymond at 6 like Zegras at 9 last year. Future is bright with Zegras + Raymond in Anaheim
7. New Jersey DevilsJamie Drysdale Devils need RHD, and Drysdale is not only a RHD, but a polarizing one, to say the least. Rossi, Holtz, and Quinn are also good options, but I see NJ taking Drysdale.
8. Buffalo SabresAlexander Holtz Buffalo needs some scoring wingers and Holtz could be filthy with Eichel. Also he trains with Ristolinen in the offseason.
9. Minnesota Wild Anton Lundell Just seems like such a Wild pick, especially with Rossi on the board. (Just look at what they did in the first round of 2018 with Veleno on the board)
10. Winnipeg JetsSeth Jarvis Jets take hometown kid and draft riser Seth Jarvis. I could see a reach for a D like Grans, Guhle, or Schneider, but ultimately Jarvis makes too much sense. Plus I just have a gut feeling
11. Nashville PredatorsMarco Rossi I feel this is bound to happen, Rossi falling to 11. I could be very wrong, (and probably am) but every year some one falls and I have a feeling it's Rossi. If teams see his size as not an issue and that he can be a C, he will go top 9, if not, I see him being gifted to Nashville at 11
12. Florida PanthersJack Quinn BPA here. Great player to add to such a dry prospect pool.
13. Carolina HurricanesYaraslov AskarovBPA here. Could see a trade around here to select Askarov if Canes feel they could get better value here
14. Edmonton OilersKaiden Guhle Oilers have been rumored to like him and Holloway here, but with Klefbom potentially retiring, they need insurance on the LHS, even with Broberg
15. Toronto Maple LeafsBraden Schneider Seems like a Leafs pick. Take one of the top 4 D of the draft and walk away with a two way, hard nosed RHD who can advance the puck
16. Montreal CanadiensDylan Holloway Took Badger Caufield last year, and take Badger Holloway this year. I believe they were linemates last year although I could be wrong
17. Chicago BlackhawksDawson Mercer Seems like a Chicago Pick
18. New Jersey DevilsLukas ReichelNJD and Reichel seem like a good fit and Reichel could help bring offense to their centers.
19. Calgary FlamesMavrik Borque Took Pelletier last year, so they are familiar with the Q, They will also need C prospects after trading Monahan as well.
20. New Jersey DevilsBrendan Brisson Brisson and Hughes family are great friends and very close. Pat Brisson will get his kid to be drafted by Jack's team. Brendan also seems like a NJD type player.
21. Columbus Blue Jackets Ryan O'RourkeO'Rourke has everything a NHL GM likes. He will go high and a team like Columbus who is hungry for D will take a bite
22. New York Rangers Justin Barron Took his brother a few years ago, even with Injury concerns I see the NYR taking him. They have had so many picks they can afford it here.
23. Philadelphia FylersRidly Greig Seems like a Fylers type player and his Dad is also a scout for Philly.
24. Washington CapitalsWilliam WallinderSeems like a good fit and WSH needs young D that can advance the puck and be mobile. Wallinder is a competetor who WSH will adore
25. Colorado AvalancheRodion Amirov Colorado could take a risk here, if they even keep the pick. Gunler, Grans , or Lapierriere could be the pick here as well
26. St. Louis BluesJake Perreault Seems like a blues pick and could use some goal scorers in the system. I could see Connor Zary here or at 30 to Dallas, but i feel he falls out of the first round bc of skating concerns.
27. Anaheim DucksHelge GransI feel he could go mid to early teens, but I like him at Anaheim. Swedish 6'3 RHD, everything the Ducks scouting staff drools over.
28. Ottawa SenatorsJan MysakMysak could go way earlier, but I feel Sens take a swing, although I see ottawa moving the pick.
29. Vegas Golden KnightsOzzy Wiesblatt Vegas likes Russians and Dub kids. Weisblatt is smart, fast, chippy, and skilled. VGK will love this player. He also plays in the Dub
30. Dallas Stars Tyson Forester Dallas likes drafting from the O, and after missing w Gurianov anf Tufte, they go for another goal scorer in Forester. Gunler also makes sense here
31. San Jose SharksThomas Bordeleau After seeing the Josh Norris pick in 2017, I feel this pick makes alot of sense and Bordeleau seems like a SJS pick.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Thanks for the read, feedback is appreciated !

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Previous Mocks :

1. New York Rangers Alexis Lafreniere BPA here, nuff' said
2. Los Angeles KingsTim Stützle I know some people that work w LA, don't want to give too much away, but expect Stutzle going #2
3. Ottawa Senators Quentin Byfield BPA here, Ottawa now has a great piece to build around. Ceiling is Malkin - lite
4. Detroit Red WingsCole Perfetti Makes a lot of sense, and where there is smoke, there is fire. They are close and Perfetti is a good piece to help rebuild the Wings.
5. Ottawa Senators Jake Sanderson Ottawa has ND connects and love D man. Has been some rumors Sanderson goes here and seems like a sens pick. Askarov and Raymond are also attractive here.
6. Anaheim DucksLucas Raymond Ducks get gifted Raymond at 6 like Zegras at 9 last year. Future is bright with Zegras + Raymond in Anaheim
7. New Jersey DevilsJamie Drysdale Devils need RHD, and Drysdale is not only a RHD, but a polarizing one, to say the least. Rossi, Holtz, and Quinn are also good options, but I see NJ taking Drysdale.
8. Buffalo SabresAlexander Holtz Buffalo needs some scoring wingers and Holtz could be filthy with Eichel. Also he trains with Ristolinen in the offseason.
9. Minnesota Wild Anton Lundell Just seems like such a Wild pick, especially with Rossi on the board. (Just look at what they did in the first round of 2018 with Veleno on the board)
10. Winnipeg JetsSeth Jarvis Jets take hometown kid and draft riser Seth Jarvis. I could see a reach for a D like Grans, Guhle, or Schneider, but ultimately Jarvis makes too much sense. Plus I just have a gut feeling
11. Nashville PredatorsMarco Rossi I feel this is bound to happen, Rossi falling to 11. I could be very wrong, (and probably am) but every year some one falls and I have a feeling it's Rossi. If teams see his size as not an issue and that he can be a C, he will go top 9, if not, I see him being gifted to Nashville at 11
12. Florida PanthersJack Quinn BPA here. Great player to add to such a dry prospect pool.
13. Carolina HurricanesYaraslov AskarovBPA here. Could see a trade around here to select Askarov if Canes feel they could get better value here
14. Edmonton OilersKaiden Guhle Oilers have been rumored to like him and Holloway here, but with Klefbom potentially retiring, they need insurance on the LHS, even with Broberg
15. Toronto Maple LeafsBraden Schneider Seems like a Leafs pick. Take one of the top 4 D of the draft and walk away with a two way, hard nosed RHD who can advance the puck
16. Montreal CanadiensDylan Holloway Took Badger Caufield last year, and take Badger Holloway this year. I believe they were linemates last year although I could be wrong
17. Chicago BlackhawksDawson Mercer Seems like a Chicago Pick
18. New Jersey DevilsLukas ReichelNJD and Reichel seem like a good fit and Reichel could help bring offense to their centers.
19. Calgary FlamesMavrik Borque Took Pelletier last year, so they are familiar with the Q, They will also need C prospects after trading Monahan as well.
20. New Jersey DevilsBrendan Brisson Brisson and Hughes family are great friends and very close. Pat Brisson will get his kid to be drafted by Jack's team. Brendan also seems like a NJD type player.
21. Columbus Blue Jackets Ryan O'RourkeO'Rourke has everything a NHL GM likes. He will go high and a team like Columbus who is hungry for D will take a bite
22. New York Rangers Justin Barron Took his brother a few years ago, even with Injury concerns I see the NYR taking him. They have had so many picks they can afford it here.
23. Philadelphia FylersRidly Greig Seems like a Fylers type player and his Dad is also a scout for Philly.
24. Washington CapitalsWilliam WallinderSeems like a good fit and WSH needs young D that can advance the puck and be mobile. Wallinder is a competetor who WSH will adore
25. Colorado AvalancheRodion Amirov Colorado could take a risk here, if they even keep the pick. Gunler, Grans , or Lapierriere could be the pick here as well
26. St. Louis BluesJake Perreault Seems like a blues pick and could use some goal scorers in the system. I could see Connor Zary here or at 30 to Dallas, but i feel he falls out of the first round bc of skating concerns.
27. Anaheim DucksHelge GransI feel he could go mid to early teens, but I like him at Anaheim. Swedish 6'3 RHD, everything the Ducks scouting staff drools over.
28. Ottawa SenatorsJan MysakMysak could go way earlier, but I feel Sens take a swing, although I see ottawa moving the pick.
29. Vegas Golden KnightsOzzy Wiesblatt Vegas likes Russians and Dub kids. Weisblatt is smart, fast, chippy, and skilled. VGK will love this player. He also plays in the Dub
30. Dallas Stars Tyson Forester Dallas likes drafting from the O, and after missing w Gurianov anf Tufte, they go for another goal scorer in Forester. Gunler also makes sense here
31. San Jose SharksThomas Bordeleau After seeing the Josh Norris pick in 2017, I feel this pick makes alot of sense and Bordeleau seems like a SJS pick.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Thanks for the read, feedback is appreciated !​
Solid work dude. I hope Rossi doesn’t fall to Nashville

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
My only feedback is that I can guarantee NYR will not take a Defenseman at 22. Especially a RHD.

We are craving Centers and have very little C's in our pipeline so if we still have this pick, I highly expect a Center to be taken here.

Last edited:

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I would throw up if Toronto picked Schneider ahead of Amirov, Mercer and Lapierre.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
I would throw up if Toronto picked Schneider ahead of Amirov, Mercer and Lapierre.
Although those are better options, I feel if Toronto keeps the pick they go with Holloway, Amirov , or Schneider. I have Amirov falling slightly to mid 20’s because of the Russian factor. It also wouldn’t be bad to add last of the “big 4“ D of the draft, especially given Schneider is a RHD . Best option would be to trade the pick. I also can’t recall Toronto selecting players from the Q in recent memory as well.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
My only feedback is that I can guarantee NYR will not take a Defenseman at 22. Especially a RHD.

We are craving Centers and have very little C's in our pipeline so if we still have this pick, I highly expect a Center to be taken here.
I could see Lapieriere and Zary being nice fits, I read from Corey Pronoman that the rangers were interested in Barron , so that’s why I put him there . I assume the interest there is because of his brother and uncertainty with DeAngelos future

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
2 things for me...

Id be surprised if Sanderson goes before Drysdale and Askarov isnt falling to 13
I feel with Sanderson rising all year long and the potential ND connect, he fits well with Ottawa. Also been quite a few rumors. I also wouldn’t be shocked if Raymond or Askarov goes #5

I feel there’s always a few players dropping and this year I feel it’ll be one (or two of) Holtz, Askarov, or Rossi

spfan

May 4, 2009
Confused as to what you mean or why you say Dallas missing with Gurianov. He had 20 goals in 64 games this season and had 9 goals, 17 points in 27 playoff games. Finished 2nd in goals on the team in the playoffs and Dallas made the finals.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Confused as to what you mean or why you say Dallas missing with Gurianov. He had 20 goals in 64 games this season and had 9 goals, 17 points in 27 playoff games. Finished 2nd in goals on the team in the playoffs and Dallas made the finals.
Not than Gurianov is bad or a bust, but rather who was available at the time with that pick (Barzal, Connor, and Chabot. I feel Forester at this pick is great value and isn’t other players that were distinctly better available like there was in 2015. Tufte on the other hand....

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
I was very impressed with him in the playoffs this year and loved watching watching him at the WJC’s a few years back, no knock on him at all

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Jets would take him over Jarvis.
You never know. Everyone says that about their team when a player drops. In 2012 I was so excited Forsberg fell to my Ducks’s #6 pick , and they ended up taking some guy ranked in the mid teens named Hampus Lindholm..... ended up working pretty well for us. Given that Jarvis is a riser and a hometown boy, don’t be suprised If Rossi is passed on in this given scenario

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I like Bourque for the Flames, but there’s a bunch of players who I like at 19. If I was on the clock I probably go Lapierre instead of Bourque.

Who did the Flames trade Monahan for?

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
I like Bourque for the Flames, but there’s a bunch of players who I like at 19. If I was on the clock I probably go Lapierre instead of Bourque.

Who did the Flames trade Monahan for?
I almost had Lapierre going here, but I have a feeling her drops. I meant to say if Monahan is traded, they will need insurance on C. Zary was also another potential player I liked at that pick, especially given that he is close to Calgary. Ultimately I feel Bourque is the player that Calgary’s management goes with

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I almost had Lapierre going here, but I have a feeling her drops. I meant to say if Monahan is traded, they will need insurance on C. Zary was also another potential player I liked at that pick, especially given that he is close to Calgary. Ultimately I feel Bourque is the player that Calgary’s management goes with

Yup, I’ve settled on it being one of Bourque/Lapierre/Zary. Would be satisfied with any of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad