Confirmed with Link: Sam Reinhart traded to Florida for a 1st in 2022 and G Devon Levi

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Makes sense. With the Yandle buyout and Stralman trade, Florida had a bit extra cap this year but not next. Either we re sign him long-term and it's good and reasonable or we spent a lot for a good rental in a year where we should be a cap contender. I don' t get why Buffalo trade to take Stralman back: Stralman+1st+2nd+Koly+Levi for Reinhart would have been great value...maybe Stralman refused to waive?

Also how physical is SR? Given that Tampa is gooning up, I wonder how FLorida will respond.

This why I never understood why Sabres didn't sign Reinhart for one year for say $7.5 M and trade him with half the cap retained. His value would have been enormous at $3.75 M for one year.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
He's a physical player. He's strong on the boards and will take punishment to make plays. I've never seen him get intimidated. He doesn't get much credit for being physical because he plays a clean game and doesn't hit or fight. He's a Ryan O'Reilly with more skill and less dogged determination.
Awesome, thanks! It will be a physical Atlantic this season so that's needed

This why I never understood why Sabres didn't sign Reinhart for one year for say $7.5 M and trade him with half the cap retained. His value would have been enormous at $3.75 M for one year.
Takes two to tango I guess. Also I guess teams somewhat valued chance to re sign him

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I mean, I was aware of Reinhart's arbitration rights, but I just assumed it wouldn't be a factor. Before the trade actually happened, I took it as a foregone conclusion that: (1) we would let Reinhart talk to potential trade partners about his interest in playing there/desired contract terms; and (2) trade him to a team that he would sign long-term with, thus maximizing our value.
Why would you take it as “a foregone conclusion” that something we had zero control over would happen?

The only part of the scenario you listed above we had any say in was letting Sam talk to other teams. But he controlled whether he signed a deal.

The only thing we could trade for certain was one year of team control. That’s it. Everything else was out of our control.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why would you take it as “a foregone conclusion” that something we had zero control over would happen?

The only part of the scenario you listed above we had any say in was letting Sam talk to other teams. But he controlled whether he signed a deal.

The only thing we could trade for certain was one year of team control. That’s it. Everything else was out of our control.

Because that's pretty par for the course when RFAs are traded? It's not like Sam is gonna keep signing 1-year deals forever. He'll sign somewhere long term. Working with the Sabres and their trade partners now only gets him where he wants to be a year sooner.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Because that's pretty par for the course when RFAs are traded? It's not like Sam is gonna keep signing 1-year deals forever. He'll sign somewhere long term. Working with the Sabres and their trade partners now only gets him where he wants to be a year sooner.

None of this disputes what I posted. Its more wishful thinking that something we had no control over should have happened as if we did have control.

Where did you get the idea that every RFA that gets traded works out an extension before they get traded. It certainly happens but not every time.

Last edited:

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Oh look, rumblings that the Panthers are going to sign him long-term. Heh.

Florida Panthers Mailbag: When will Reinhart and Barkov sign?
I bet Reinhart will NOT sign with them. He will get traded at the deadline to a team he wants to sign with in the Canadian west. Or he will go to free agency after this season and sign with one of them. My guess is a little birdie has already let the target teams know his plan so they can prepare cap space. The panthers are literally the farthest from where he wants to be that he can get.

Reactions: FinlandPanther

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I bet Reinhart will NOT sign with them. He will get traded at the deadline to a team he wants to sign with in the Canadian west. Or he will go to free agency after this season and sign with one of them. My guess is a little birdie has already let the target teams know his plan so they can prepare cap space. The panthers are literally the farthest from where he wants to be that he can get.

If that was his plan, he would have filed for arbitration.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

From what I heard previously the talk was around a 3 yr extension which takes him to 28 yrs okd so he coukd dtill get another pay day.

Reactions: kummelweck

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
So the team never has any say in the amount of years? I thought they did.
Teams can opt for a two-year deal in player elected arbitration, but only if the player is two or more years away from unrestricted free agency. If the player is a year away from being a UFA, arbitration, regardless of which side elects it, cannot be for more than a one-year deal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So he gets a three-year term. Interesting to see if that will let him cash out at 28, but many teams seem to be more savvy about forking over coin at that age. We'll see.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Would three years be considered long term? I feel like he still hasn't received what he wanted.

Also, I thought Buchnevich would have been a comparable for Reinhart, but St.Louis got a lot better deal. One more year and less AAV.

6.5 million is good for Reinhart if he plays like he did last year, but the guy had 10 out of 25 goals on the PP. He has been up and down on the PP his whole career, so its not something that can be counted on.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
So he gets a three-year term. Interesting to see if that will let him cash out at 28, but many teams seem to be more savvy about forking over coin at that age. We'll see.
He'll be able to get 6+ years at 28 in free agency definitely.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I thought Reinhart was definitely re-signing with Florida, but I figured it would be for 6 years at around $6-7 million

3 years at $6.5 is great value for Florida. I could see Reinhart approaching Pastranak numbers on that Florida roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce