Sam Reinhart calls out Sabres goaltending

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I don't like it.

Players don't have a right to call out the goalie, especially publicly.

Leave it to the coach, or at the very worse behind the scenes. What is there to gain in doing it publicly? Nothing.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He's been our best player in the last 2 games.

Some things are better left unsaid, and I think the defence has been more to blame than the goaltending.

Still he's going to get a disproportionate amount of backlash to this, because blaming your goalie is taboo in sports.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Pretty lame quote .... Goalies haven't been great but the team as a whole just lacks any defensive awareness outside of Zemgus

Plus the coach is an effin' idiot.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
He's been our best player in the last 2 games.

Some things are better left unsaid, and I think the defence has been more to blame than the goaltending.

Still he's going to get a disproportionate amount of backlash to this, because blaming your goalie is taboo in sports.
blaming anybody but yourself is taboo in the media period.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he shouldn't have said it, but I don't really blame him. The Sabres must be insanely frustrated, and he's one of the few players doing much good

Reactions: Rasmi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think the goalies are the biggest issue? Lehner seems to be a freaking Vezina candidate away from the Sabres.

Sabres won 10 straight in a row...that means they have won just 16 games in the other 43 games that they played (or most of the season). That's not good enough.

I think the Sabres missing the playoffs is better for them than making them. Make the playoffs and the idiot behind the bench stays.

Don't make the playoffs and you at least have a chance at getting a quality coach like Quennville or someone else...look at the Islanders when they went from a inexperienced coach to Trotz. It can make a difference.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hard to put the blame primarily on the goalie when you are 19th in CF% and 23rd in xGF%. Yes, it'd be nice for the goalies to steal you more games, but look at the rest of your roster before you pile on the goaltender. Without your goalie stealing you games or elite special teams, you aren't likely to make the playoffs with numbers like that.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Half of the time in games that give up 5 or 6 goals, half the reason the defense or goalie sucks is because forwards don't do their job backchecking or covering their zone/man, or forcing stupid plays that lead to bad turnover transitions.... so calling out the goalie like that is pretty brutal.

Bad character, man. Don't bring THAT guy to your team, you will basically be rifting the locker room realll fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad