Speculation: Sam Reinhart: C or W?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It's a part of the game all top centers have, so far when Sam has played center he hasn't been able to do it. I don't expect him to be Eichel or Perrault in that regard. I like him on the wing, in a couple years I'm sure he'll be able to be a high quality 2C. Better tho having him be a 1RW and PP points monster.

But that's not the topic at hand. I do agree he hasn't shown this, but that's not his game and he hasn't been put in a position to even try this. Most of his linemates are of the puck carrying variety, so he doesn't need to do this. His game is about the battles in sections of the ice. The battle down low, then moving you're way up the ice.

As for the rest of the post, I agree.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He(Reinhart) can do this as a winger as well.

I disagree.

First we haven't seen bylsma set things up to put the defensive weight on Reinhart's shoulders with Eichel on the point on the defensive side.

Second, if we did, why bother? If you put all the d responsibility on samson, you might as well switch positions, avoid any assignments mix ups and let everyone play their role.

Eichel has crazy acceleration and loves getting on the wall and opening things up with reach and one on one skills. He would be perfect on the wing, currently and it benefits his current skill set.

Reinhart's skillset lends itself to crazy vision and split second decisions. He is more capable of playmaking from the center spot, where his options are vast compared to the wing.

Long term I want them both at center. They both have strengths that will cause havoc on opposing teams. Jack needs the reps to get better.

But say we need to win a game tomorrow with the skills they have? Jack would provide a bigger net positive on the wing, more offensive opportunity, less defensive responsibility.

Samson would be a bigger net positive at center, defensively more involved and a quicker thinking passer and transition start.

For those who oppose, tell me what Eichel showed at center last year, that made him intrinsically best at center?

To me his best moments were on the rush coming down the wall. He seldom had great defensive reads or incredibly quick outlet passes from his own end. In fact, his biggest struggles came from those scenarios.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I disagree.

First we haven't seen bylsma set things up to put the defensive weight on Reinhart's shoulders with Eichel on the point on the defensive side.

Second, if we did, why bother? If you put all the d responsibility on samson, you might as well switch positions, avoid any assignments mix ups and let everyone play their role.

Eichel has crazy acceleration and loves getting on the wall and opening things up with reach and one on one skills. He would be perfect on the wing, currently and it benefits his current skill set.

Reinhart's skillset lends itself to crazy vision and split second decisions. He is more capable of playmaking from the center spot, where his options are vast compared to the wing.

Long term I want them both at center. They both have strengths that will cause havoc on opposing teams. Jack needs the reps to get better.

But say we need to win a game tomorrow with the skills they have? Jack would provide a bigger net positive on the wing, more offensive opportunity, less defensive responsibility.

Samson would be a bigger net positive at center, defensively more involved and a quicker thinking passer and transition start.

For those who oppose, tell me what Eichel showed at center last year, that made him intrinsically best at center?

To me his best moments were on the rush coming down the wall. He seldom had great defensive reads or incredibly quick outlet passes from his own end. In fact, his biggest struggles came from those scenarios.

I have

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
He just needs to be a touch stronger on his skates and maybe a little faster to play center. As soon as that happens, he needs to play center so he can have the puck on his stick as much as possible.

RoR would move to wing but still take face offs for Eichel.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Not to the degree that was implied by the poster.

I'm not talking about samson helping a little bit. I'm talking about him being down low in the slot regularly, with all the defensive responsibility.

Sure last year Samson covered from time to time, but my memories don't recall Samson actively leading the defense focus, rather a typical cover play from the wing.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
My feeling is that the Eichel-Reinhart chemistry shouldn't be messed with for now. I am happy with what he brings on the wing but love his versatility in a dire situation.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Wing for the next 2 years unless ROR or Eichel get injured (knock on wood). Will take over center duties while ROR moves to wing 3 years from now

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Look at you with an unequivocal hot take.
Nah, I'm just an idiot with no reading comprehension. I thought you were talking about the impact of moving Reinhart to 3C, which is the lineup I hate.

Now that I'm caught up, I agree and I don't. Yes, Eichel oozed offensive talent and was crushed by the minutia of his position, especially given a lack of underlying-stuff-driving linemates for much of the season. Any good lineup for this year gives him the same pronounced zone start/general offensive opportunity advantage that every other team provides their designated scorer. Playing wing is a big part of the "general opportunity" landscape. But O'Reilly-Reinhart was, by far, our best forward combination, and there are several ways to spring Eichel that don't sacrifice that.

Also, to come full-circle to your OP, I think that unleashing Eichel is more the key to that statement than Reinhart QBing play from his natural position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad