Speculation: Sam Reinhart: C or W?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Long term, where do you see Sam playing? I think he has shown he can adapt quite nicely to the wing, but I wonder if he'll unlock his full potential playing center, where he has more opportunity to utilize his playmaking ability and vision.

I could see it shaking down three ways (long-term)

1) Reinhart plays W
2) ROR-Eichel-Reinhart center spine
3) Reinhart plays C, ROR shifts to wing

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
He's a top six forward.

He doesn't slot ahead of ROR or Eichel down the middle.

Wing.

Pretty much. Unless ROR switches to wing, Reinhart won't be playing center. There's really not any reason to make that switch, though.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I see him at wing for at least the next two seasons. ROR is an elite second center that most teams dream about having in that slot. Reinhart provides us a top six RW who pairs well with Eichel, so no sense in changing that either.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Short term, they would be a better team with Reinhart at center than Eichel. Hot take!

Why?

I think moving Samson to C would have one big downside: it would make DZone exits tougher as Samson is a wizard at getting that pass along the boards and triggering the exit with a nice pass to either his C or the other W.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Just because Reinhart is a top 6 calibur forward doesn't mean he can't play center on a third scoring line.

Assuming ROR, Eichel, and Larsson each center their own line, that means one of Reinhart or Girgensons must be the last center (which means only one can be a top 6 winger). I don't think going with three scoring lines is necessarily a bad thing:

Kane-ROR-Okposo
Moulson-Eichel-Girgensons
(prospect)-Reinhart-Ennis
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Deslauriers

Obviously this depends on Moulson not totally sucking.

But the other option with Girgensons at center.

Kane-ROR-Okposo
(prospect)-Eichel-Reinhart
Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Deslauriers

Hoping that reuniting the MGE line works well.

Reinhart centering the "third" line doesn't mean he won't get PP time and you could easily balance ES time by rolling all 4 lines.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Why?

I think moving Samson to C would have one big downside: it would make DZone exits tougher as Samson is a wizard at getting that pass along the boards and triggering the exit with a nice pass to either his C or the other W.

Samson's superior defensive instincts would provide better coverage down low and allow him to send equally wizard like passes to his wingers.

Eichel gets to cheat on offense and use his wherls to burn defenses and still come back on a nasty back check.

It fits both of their strengths better currently imo. Long term I want Eichel improving his total game so he should be at center.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Samson's superior defensive instincts would provide better coverage down low and allow him to send equally wizard like passes to his wingers.

Eichel gets to cheat on offense and use his wheels to burn defenses and still come back on a nasty back check.

It fits both of their strengths better currently imo. Long term I want Eichel improving his total game so he should be at center.

I don't want Eichel cheating on offense.

I can see why people are intrigued by Reinhart at center. I just don't see moving Eichel to center in 2016-17 is the best thing for his development as a player.

The real conversation should be the Reinhart as the C with ROR & Eichel or staying as a winger on one of the top 2 lines.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Eichel gets to cheat on offense and use his wherls to burn defenses and still come back on a nasty back check.

I agree. I also don't expect to see this.

Best problem this franchise has ever had... :laugh:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Not wasting his skills on a 3rd line. He also can't lug the puck out of his own zone and through the neutral zone yet.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not wasting his skills on a 3rd line. He also can't lug the puck out of his own zone and through the neutral zone yet.

he's the best transition/breakout passer on the team

playing him at center would cover up a lot of issues our blueline presents in terms of transition/breakout hockey

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Doesn't have to lug it out. When you know where to go with the puck and know where to go after you get rid of it, you don't need to have that ability.

Until we can show we have a consistent scoring ability in our top 6, there is no point in moving him to the lower lines just yet. He's an important part of our play in our top 6.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

He(Reinhart) can do this as a winger as well.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I would like him at center, but I sort of don't really care. The fact that we are discussing his position because we're deep at center means the rebuild/tank succeeded. Beats discussing the merits of discussing the long term center potential for Luke Adam and Ville Leino.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Man...it's too bad that players can't be skilled, show their skills, score, or make teams better at all when they play a "3rd" line. If only that was possible Reinhart might be able to play C one day...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Doesn't have to lug it out. When you know where to go with the puck and know where to go after you get rid of it, you don't need to have that ability.

Until we can show we have a consistent scoring ability in our top 6, there is no point in moving him to the lower lines just yet. He's an important part of our play in our top 6.

It's a part of the game all top centers have, so far when Sam has played center he hasn't been able to do it. I don't expect him to be Eichel or Perrault in that regard. I like him on the wing, in a couple years I'm sure he'll be able to be a high quality 2C. Better tho having him be a 1RW and PP points monster.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Long term I could see him playing either or both and don't think it's a bad thing for the team. If he is talented/skilled enough to play centre and create three somewhat even lines capable of scoring then that helps the team. When it's crunch time or if the team needs a goal they can make the lines top heavy but over the course of a season having three lines that can play somewhat equal minutes and be equally dangerous would be great to see. Maybe the team won't have enough top nine talent for this to happen but a great centre can make average players better so with guys like ROR and Eichel it potentially helps the team get more out of less.

...have to run so that may not quite be how i would prefer to word it but the general sentiment is there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad