Player Discussion Sam Lafferty

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
No Sam Lafferty thread yet? If so, I couldn't find it.

Acquired for a 5th rounder from Toronto, acquiring this right winger has been an excellent move by Allvin. At his current cap hit of 1.15m, he has been an excellent player up and down the lineup.

He hits UFA next year, at age 29. This is an interesting conundrum for the Canucks. At his current scoring rate (8g, 7a in 28 games) he deserves a raise and will undoubtedly get one in UFA. Yet we have seen the winger glut in the NHL where wingers are worth next-to-nothing in the current flat cap environment.

I think the Canucks are going to have to gamble on Lafferty as a cheap utility top six winger, a la Burrows when he was running on that sweet 2 mil aav / 4 year contract. The Canucks, as has been pointed out, are now going to have to try to win while paying Pete, Hughes, Hronek, Miller - and now maybe Boeser, too - top dollar without any significant ELC talent on the way, save perhaps Willander - but one ELC is not enough to balance out the cumulative cap hit of 35-43 mil from those five players. Not to mention Kuzmenko's future in doubt, as he is not playing at a 5.5m rate.

Hence the need for two utility forwards. Hoglander, hopefully, will be one of them, longer term. But can/should Lafferty be another one? If Allvin / Lafferty could agree on a 2m x 2y / 1.8m x 3y deal, I would bite with caution.

It's a simple fact of the league that winning teams have players overperforming their cap hit. And without the inbound ELC's in strength, Canucks will have to maximize that cap efficiency elsewhere. As we have seen, ELC contracts counterbalancing paying your stars market value is the way to extract the most cap efficiency from your lineup. Canucks don't have those ELC's coming en masse, though maybe Lekk and Willander are a good start. Not sold on anyone else being a difference maker. So should the Canucks gamble and extend Lafferty for 2 or 3 years?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I've been thinking about this as well - he's currently on pace for 40+ points. Outstanding trade and I really like the player but I'm not sure if the team will be able to resign him moving forward. I'd do an AAV or 2 or mabye 2.5 max and maybe 2 or 3 years term but if may get a better offer elsewhere.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I've been thinking about this as well - he's currently on pace for 40+ points. Outstanding trade and I really like the player but I'm not sure if the team will be able to resign him moving forward. I'd do an AAV or 2 or mabye 2.5 max and maybe 2 or 3 years term but if may get a better offer elsewhere.
Yeah, probably he can get a better offer on the market. However, Laff has bounced around a lot and may value a bit of stability, which Allvin could offer with a 2 or 3 year deal - but is a player that has 'only' made about 3m in his career, at an age 29 UFA willing to give up 500-750k overall on his next contract?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yeah, probably he can get a better offer on the market. However, Laff has bounced around a lot and may value a bit of stability, which Allvin could offer with a 2 or 3 year deal - but is a player that has 'only' made about 3m in his career, at an age 29 UFA willing to give up 500-750k overall on his next contract?

I won’t be surprised if a team overpays but I doubt it. If he keeps it up he’s going to be 28 year coming off a career year (even though it’s two straight career years). He’s simply not going to be seen as a top 6 player. If he’s putting up 40+ points as a 3C where he’s playing a shut down role, killing penalties, and winning faceoffs then he’s going to be paid. But if he’s putting up points on Petey’s line? He’s not going to get paid much for that. I will treat him like Motte who manages to stay healthy.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Bit of a Swiss knife player. Plays up and down the line up. 1st line w the stars and put in the last min protecting the lead.

Wish we had 3 of him.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
He is one of the nicest surprises on this team. Brock and Hughes and Hronek etc...are all great, but you kind of hope for and expect that. Lafferty is the kind of player every team could use, and his acquisition cost was ridiculously low. Think of how many 2nd and 3rd round picks the previous regime pissed away like renewable piss candy, and then look at what Allvin is doing with 5th rounders. Unbelievable.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Motte is an apt comparison. Though it seems Lafferty has more of a scoring knack.

To me, Lafferty seems a lot more capable of playing off of the top players, so he’s easier to move up and down the lineup than Motte. I thought Motte struggled in bigger roles because so much of his offense was on turnovers or broken plays leading to rush chances the other way and he was never much use in the cycle game

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
It’s way too early right now but if Kuzmenko doesn’t pull out of his funk and doesn’t round out his game to fit Tocchet’s system, it would be worth looking into moving him and his 5.5M cap hit to make room to re-sign Lafferty for around 2-2.5M then use the other 3M to upgrade the defence or add a winger with some size and snarl. Right now, Lafferty is just a better player who brings a lot of what the team needs as far as grit, speed, PK and defensive chops, ability to play C, and can provide depth scoring. Just a very versatile player who is indispensable to any team, especially when injuries hit which will happen. Kuzmenko is a lot like Beauvillier in that if he isn’t scoring in a top six or PP role, he doesn’t bring much else. It would be great if Kuzy could get back on track but right now he’s the most inefficient contract on the team and we need to figure out a way to extend Lafferty as players like him who fit the system so well don’t come along very often.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Its great Lafferty is having a career year but he doesnt have the pedigree to be given a multi year contract worth 2 or more million per year. Either he chases a contract from someone else or he signs here for 1.5ish where he was given an opportunity

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Its great Lafferty is having a career year but he doesnt have the pedigree to be given a multi year contract worth 2 or more million per year. Either he chases a contract from someone else or he signs here for 1.5ish where he was given an opportunity
a 2 mil, 7 year contract would be a beneficial structure for the Canucks. As a bottom 6 player his play is worth 2 mil and we are making gravy when he is playing good enough to be in the top 6. Then in 3-4 years the 2 mil will be almost entirely bury-able.

Meaning he gets security and quadruples his carries earnings, and can set up life in the area and only has to go down to Abbotsford if his play drops.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
a 2 mil, 7 year contract would be a beneficial structure for the Canucks. As a bottom 6 player his play is worth 2 mil and we are making gravy when he is playing good enough to be in the top 6. Then in 3-4 years the 2 mil will be almost entirely bury-able.

Meaning he gets security and quadruples his carries earnings, and can set up life in the area and only has to go down to Abbotsford if his play drops.
I wouldnt go more than 1.9x2. Hes not 25 and we dont have Benning anymore

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I wouldnt go more than 1.9x2. Hes not 25 and we dont have Benning anymore
Stubbornly letting players go is also a Benning move.

Witg the cap going up, so to does the amount you can bury, so you can plan and take advantage of that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's hard to predict what these non-pedigree guys in this age range will do.

I would have happily given Freddy Gaudreau $3 million+ last summer but he took a long 'security' deal at a low cap hit from Minnesota.

Some guys in this situation probably will go for the biggest bag possible to set themselves up.

Some guys who have had to fight through all kinds of bad situations to finally get their break in a good situation will take less to stay in that good situation, understanding that the grass isn't always greener.

Where Lafferty will fit I have no idea. It's also hard to know how the NHL as a whole values guys right now. It's such an insanely inefficient market.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
On a contract year and playing exceptionally well.
Either let him walk or trade him.
He'll probably want more than 2.5m/yr.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
It’s good we have Podkolzin and Bains in the system who can come in here and help replace Lafferty if we can’t resign him

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
On a contract year and playing exceptionally well.
Either let him walk or trade him.
He'll probably want more than 2.5m/yr.
Those two options? Why not try to sign him to something if it is reasonable?

Is he not playing well enough (and consistently) this year? I bet both parties will wait and see if his play and production is sustainable

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Those two options? Why not try to sign him to something if it is reasonable?

Is he not playing well enough (and consistently) this year? I bet both parties will wait and see if his play and production is sustainable
I have PTSD when it comes to UFAs and the canucks.
We just love to sign middling wingers for whatever reason despite having an abundance of them.
If he signs for like 1.5/2 yrs im all for it but i seriously doubt thats what he'll settle for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad