Sam Gagner To The Marlies ?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Other than Adam Brooks, there is no center on the Marlies that really matter (unless I'm forgetting someone).

Gagner and Brooks, with Mueller and say Jooris as our top 4 centers would be nice. I imagine our lineup would likely look like;

Trevor Moore - Sam Gagner - Jeremy Bracco
Carl Grundstrom - Adam Brooks - Adam Cracknell
Pierre Engvall - Chris Mueller - Dmytro Timashov
Mason Marchment - Colin Greening - Rich Clune/Josh Jooris

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So Gagner is just loaned to the Marlies? Not good enough for the Leafs to pick up?

I'm guessing if they like him the Nucks will just give him to us...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So Gagner is just loaned to the Marlies? Not good enough for the Leafs to pick up?

I'm guessing if they like him the Nucks will just give him to us...

Sure, but he carries a $3.15 mil cap hit for two years. Even in giving him to us, they'd have to eat half of the cap hit... which still works out better for them, than the current situation.

The Canucks are carrying a $2.15mil cap hit this year, for a guy playing on the Marlies!!!!

Reactions: Its not your fault

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Obviously not quite the same contract-wise, but we've loaned out a few of our players that weren't going to have a spot. I'm recalling Dave's brief time as a Leaf now!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If the Leafs had a scoring center they were looking to develop, I wouldn't be a fan of this move but in these circumstances (and assuming Gagner will be a professional) it seems like a positive fit.

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
So is he going to the Marlies or is this a rumor? How much salary do the Marlies/Leafs pay him?

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
So he is going to the Marlies though? Hard to tell with the "?" in the title, Like it is speculation.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sure, but he carries a $3.15 mil cap hit for two years. Even in giving him to us, they'd have to eat half of the cap hit... which still works out better for them, than the current situation.

The Canucks are carrying a $2.15mil cap hit this year, for a guy playing on the Marlies!!!!

Oh true, forgot about his massive cap hit. Then I guess he will never be a Leaf, but good for the Marlies.

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
Can a loaned player be recalled to the team that still owns his rights mid season?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Ridiculous.

We've got our own farm team that could use him. But no, lets loan him to a division rival so he can be closer to home... cuz you know... Utica is just so far away and those plane rides get expensive. Slap in the face to Comet fans too.

I get that Benning is trying to be a nice guy. He's a big dumb nice guy. No room for big dumb nice guys in the NHL.

How often do the Comets and Marlies play each other? Is Gagner going to sit out those games. What if he were to accidentally injure a Canuck prospect while still being paid by Aquilini?

The cheap box of hair his wife buys for him at the drug store has finally completely soaked into his big dumb nice brain.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ridiculous.

We've got our own farm team that could use him. But no, lets loan him to a division rival so he can be closer to home... cuz you know... Utica is just so far away and those plane rides get expensive. Slap in the face to Comet fans too.

I get that Benning is trying to be a nice guy. He's a big dumb nice guy. No room for big dumb nice guys in the NHL.

How often do the Comets and Marlies play each other? Is Gagner going to sit out those games. What if he were to accidentally injure a Canuck prospect while still being paid by Aquilini?

The cheap box of hair his wife buys for him at the drug store has finally completely soaked into his big dumb nice brain.

I get being upset with Benning for this, but do you really believe that Gagner of all guys, is going to lay out one of your prospects, with a thundering hit, and injure him?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I get being upset with Benning for this, but do you really believe that Gagner of all guys, is going to lay out one of your prospects, with a thundering hit, and injure him?

No, not at all. I thought of that while posting though and laughed a little inside... so thats why I added the "accidentally". There are other ways of injuring someone unintentionally. Doesn't have to be injury related either for Benning to come out of this looking a little dumber. What if the two teams meet in the playoffs and Gagner is still with the Marlies and plays and integral role in knocking out the Comets?

Actually reminds me of a game between the Canucks and Leafs a while back where Vancouver came to town and shut you guys out. Raycroft was in net for us was still being paid by the Leafs.... so I guess we do owe you one. :sarcasm:

Anyways, I think Benning's first priority should be with his own organization. A lot of what ifs and such on my part but Gagner was only a Canuck for a cup of coffee... Benning is showing him too much loyalty.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I’m old enough to remember when we wanted to trade for this guy.

He is still under 30 and two years ago picked 50 points for the Blue Jacket. Honestly he's probably still a 40+ point top six player on a middling team, certainly would probably qualify as the #2 center on the Canadiens. Really 3 mil is around the minimum of what he'd be worth as a UFA. If he still has it in him, and the Canucks are willing to retain half his salary, he'd probably be good insurance at the trade deadline at $1.6 a year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He is still under 30 and two years ago picked 50 points for the Blue Jacket. Honestly he's probably still a 40+ point top six player on a middling team, certainly would probably qualify as the #2 center on the Canadiens. Really 3 mil is around the minimum of what he'd be worth as a UFA. If he still has it in him, and the Canucks are willing to retain half his salary, he'd probably be good insurance at the trade deadline at $1.6 a year.
I’m fine with the move, just a commentary on how things have changed.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Ridiculous.

it is strange lol, Maybe Benning doesnt want your guys to lose ice time. I guess we are thinking there is no hope for a center from the Marlies to crack our lineup. Really is weird lol

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No, not at all. I thought of that while posting though and laughed a little inside... so thats why I added the "accidentally". There are other ways of injuring someone unintentionally. Doesn't have to be injury related either for Benning to come out of this looking a little dumber. What if the two teams meet in the playoffs and Gagner is still with the Marlies and plays and integral role in knocking out the Comets?

Actually reminds me of a game between the Canucks and Leafs a while back where Vancouver came to town and shut you guys out. Raycroft was in net for us was still being paid by the Leafs.... so I guess we do owe you one. :sarcasm:

Anyways, I think Benning's first priority should be with his own organization. A lot of what ifs and such on my part but Gagner was only a Canuck for a cup of coffee... Benning is showing him too much loyalty.

Owe us one? Can we talk Tanev? :naughty::sarcasm::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad