News Article: Sam Gagner: Taking Over the Marlboros with John Tavares

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
For those of you who were either involved in past in GTHL or are today what do you think of Gagner and JT's plans with our Marlboros? My family is 3 generation Marlies with 7 of us played with org.

Essentially main idears are:
Nails becomes president
Jimmy's kid becomes GM
Development of academy model across all age groups based on skill development
Universal coaching program across all age groups
Accessibility funding model where some guys drop some dough to offset costs of playing (thanks JT)
And every kid who is good enough can play with no ability to fund themselves
Does Marlie Nazi continue?
Does sponsorship program per team continue?
Do Marlies take made teams/coaches from traditional feeder orgs?
Lots of interesting changes ... does org stay on top? maybe org does not care to stay on top of standings?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The Marlies have been been an elite organization for years and i'm surprised they sold .

hopefully they continue to be a top end organization and don't go the way of the Red wings when that organization sold 15 or so years ago and went to crap

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Been 50 years since I was around that old MTHL system of affiliates , my local rink was Penguins but the Flyers rink was real close by , a buddy played for the Jr Wings and our Elementary School goalie signed with the Bruins at 10 but the Jr Leafs /Marlboros org was the top of the heap back then .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Oh and you couldn't play mthl and school hockey after a certain age so with a couple of local national champs high schools to feed there was a ton of top talent that went that route .

forecheck

May 14, 2007
A retirement plan that involves dealing with crazy parents is not what I would have in mind if I were in their shoes .. Just sayin !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad