Sam Gagner Discussion (cleared waivers December 2015)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No it's not. The whole point of the trade was to free up cap space. Even if he doesn't slow down, all we're missing is a few years of decent scoring from someone who negates it with stupid decisions, during years when it means nothing anyway because we're not competing with or without him. We have more cap flexibility if we need it and that's what's important.

Plus, him being a BJ has helped us a ton more than if he were a Flyer since his hot streak at the end of the year was a big part of getting us Provorov.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The trade would have been good in terms of clearing cap space if Umberger was still a 15 goals/30 point guy.

Not only is Umberger no longer producing but his body is breaking down which means they traded a top-6 LW for cap space and an un-moveable buyout candidate.
The same amount of cap space could have been generated by moving Luke Schenn and Nick Schultz for draft picks, making room for prospects on ELCs. I still don't see how we won that trade.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
The trade would have been good in terms of clearing cap space if Umberger was still a 15 goals/30 point guy.

Not only is Umberger no longer producing but his body is breaking down which means they traded a top-6 LW for cap space and an un-moveable buyout candidate.
The same amount of cap space could have been generated by moving Luke Schenn and Nick Schultz for draft picks, making room for prospects on ELCs. I still don't see how we won that trade.

We didn't win that trade. We may have helped our cap situation a little, but not enough to call the trade a win.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Hartnell's contract runs till 2019. LSchenn expires in 2016 and Schultz in 2017.

To really judge the trade we will have to wait and see what Hextall does with the cap space in 17-18 and 18-19, and how Vorobyov turns out.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We didn't win that trade. We may have helped our cap situation a little, but not enough to call the trade a win.

Agreed. Anyone calling the trade a win is just being a homer.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Anyone looking at trades as wins or losses is missing the point of trades. There doesn't have to be a winner or loser, both teams can get what they need out of it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People forget what a tight bind Hextall was in due to Homer, I'm sure if he could have just dumped Hartnell he would have, same with MacDonald, but no one wanted those contracts (Vinnie, the only way to dump him is in the Delaware bay with cement overshoes).

Umberger was basically eating half of Hartnell's contract and hoping you got a serviceable 3rd line winger out of it.

It sucks, the same way having to move guys up and down from Allentown for cap reasons sucks. Which is why I laugh at the fools who want to trade for a big contract "name" guy. Right now we just have to dig out of cap hell before we start even thinking about taking on any more ballast.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Anyone looking at trades as wins or losses is missing the point of trades. There doesn't have to be a winner or loser, both teams can get what they need out of it.

There doesnt HAVE to be..but there sometimes IS.

This is one of those 'sometimes.'

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There doesnt HAVE to be..but there sometimes IS.

This is one of those 'sometimes.'

Both sides got what they wanted. We wanted cap flexibility and we got it by ditching a risky contract, that's all that matters

If our goal in this trade was to get a scoring winner, the yes, we would have "lost". But that's not the case.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Friedman says scouts are watching Gagner in ahl and teams will definitely be interested. Just not at full cap hit

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Perfect example of what I mean about him negating his points.

Hartnell taking a bad penalty out of stupidity.

I never had an issue with trading Hartnell..I just think we could have done so without bringing back Umberger.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I never had an issue with trading Hartnell..I just think we could have done so without bringing back Umberger.

Well, given Hartnell's NTC, it obviously wasn't an option for Hexy. They needed to get Hartnell out of the room for more reasons than just the contract length.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Well, given Hartnell's NTC, it obviously wasn't an option for Hexy.
Why is that obvious?

Hextall didn't ask Hartnell for a list of teams. He got an offer from Columbus and only then asked Hartnell if it was okay to be traded to the Blue Jackets. Some people are skeptical that Hextall didn't actively shop Hextall, but simply found an opportunity to ditch him and took it.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
Columbus trades

We got Sbisa for Umberger - draw
We got Jake, Coots and Cousins for Carter - win
We got Stolarz and Leier for Bob - loss
We got Mason for Leighton - win
We got Umberger for Hartnell - loss
-----
even Steven

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Columbus trades

We got Sbisa for Umberger - draw
We got Jake, Coots and Cousins for Carter - win

We got Mason for Leighton - win
We got Umberger for Hartnell - loss
-----
even Steven

We got Stolarz and Leier for Bob - a little early to jump to conclusions.

thunderhorse

Dec 10, 2008
Newtown Square, PA
Any chance Gagner is resigned for next season(and beyond)? He's played pretty well and has a great +/- recently. Nobody will confuse him for a defensive forward but he's great at pick-pocketing and poke-checking. Think the Flyers will re-up with him? If so, at what cost?

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
sam can bring a lot of offensive talent to any line he's on. i think he's worth bringing back, he's being playing very well lately to me.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I don't think there's any issue with bringing him back in general, but at what cost? You've got other players that you need to re-sign this offseason that are priorities over Gagner. If the money he wants interferes with Schenn's next contract, then no way.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
He has worked very hard this season. He has played with a lot of grit which he never had in the past. He's not putting up 40 points or anything, but i like his dedication and at times he displays his skill and hockey sense. Id be okay resigning him for a cheap 1 year contract. Worst comes to worst, we can scratch him or waive him.

Wouldnt pay him more than 1.5 mill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad