Player Discussion Sam Colangelo

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So Gulls only?
Gulls only. Only two reasons to go this route: They don't want to burn a year of ELC, or they aren't sure he's worthy of a contract. Since he can sign with any NHL team at this point, seems they convinced him to not burn a year somehow.

He must really want to sign here to not bargain for that carrot.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Very strange its only the Gulls... Would love more info on this

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Gulls only. Only two reasons to go this route: They don't want to burn a year of ELC, or they aren't sure he's worthy of a contract. Since he can sign with any NHL team at this point, seems they convinced him to not burn a year somehow.

He must really want to sign here to not bargain for that carrot.
The third option albeit the one I think is least likely is that he isn't sure if he wants to sign here or not but wanted to start his pro career

Reactions: Vipers31

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The third option albeit the one I think is least likely is that he isn't sure if he wants to sign here or not but wanted to start his pro career
Doesn't make a whole lot of financial sense. Unless someone car argue that nobody was willing to burn a year of ELC for him? I seriously doubt that.

One variable is if they are trying to keep contract slots open. That's a long shot.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Doesn't make a whole lot of financial sense. Unless someone car argue that nobody was willing to burn a year of ELC for him? I seriously doubt that.

One variable is if they are trying to keep contract slots open. That's a long shot.
I doubt it too but I can't think of any other reason as to why he wouldn't have signed an ELC beginning next season with an ATO with the Gulls for the remainder of this season if they wanted to sign him (we know they do) and he wanted to be here

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
It must be him testing the waters to see if he wants to play here... He would have seen how poor our performances have been

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
This seems like bad news for him staying a Duck. If he wanted to be here, he'd have signed the ELC already, right? This just seems like him starting his professional career to showcase himself even more for other teams.

From the Ducks' perspective, it wouldn't make sense for them to want him on the Gulls. There's plenty of room for him on the NHL roster, and the incentive for him to stay with the organization is that they can burn a year off of his ELC now.

Perhaps I don't understand the rules surrounding this, but I don't understand the incentive for either Colangelo or the Ducks to have him in San Diego IF Colangelo wants to sign with the Ducks.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I would assume its for contract space related reasons? Or an ELC is in the works and just not finalized/announced.

If it is a future contract, then the roster space doesn't get counted until next year, which is what Suchanek signed.

It is very odd to sign an ATO when he could have forced the Ducks to burn an ELC this year like Nesterenko did last year. One thought could be Colangelo is testing our org. and see if it's a good fit otherwise he can simply walk away during the summer. All I know is that Colangelo's rights are currently held by the Ducks until Aug. 15th of this summer. If we don't sign him, then we lose him.

I don't like the fact Colangelo hasn't been signed to an ELC. Expect the worst, hope for the best... hope isn't a viable strategy, though.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Colangelo is a guy that wouldn't have even gotten an ELC offer a year ago. He's improved his game this year but he's also 22. Is he really that much different than an Alex Limoges was? Fans see a high draft pick and size and tons of goalscoring potential and think he deserves an ELC. The Ducks (and probably most, if not all, other teams) see a big question mark and are hesitant to tie up a contract slot. I suspect this is a "show me" situation for Colangelo to prove he can make an impact at the next level. I hope he does well and I hope the Ducks offer him an ELC but I don't think it is a given.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
For what it’s worth, i noticed he liked almost every comment on his IG post thanking western Mich, except any to do with the Ducks/gulls.

The vibes I’m getting is not positive for his future with the organization. It could be the ducks decision or his, but seems something’s up.

I wonder if he’s leaving, and we are giving him a PTO to hopefully have him play well and increase an offer for his rights.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Strange that he’d sign the PTO… why risk getting hurt when there’s probably a team willing to give him an ELC if the Ducks don’t.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
For what it’s worth, i noticed he liked almost every comment on his IG post thanking western Mich, except any to do with the Ducks/gulls.

The vibes I’m getting is not positive for his future with the organization. It could be the ducks decision or his, but seems something’s up.

I wonder if he’s leaving, and we are giving him a PTO to hopefully have him play well and increase an offer for his rights.
I mean really the best we could do is what... a 3rd? i feel like Thrun was much better imo coming out.

Wing fans seemed cool with buium for colangelo if he didnt want to sign here... id take that over a 3rd /shrug

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Colangelo is a guy that wouldn't have even gotten an ELC offer a year ago. He's improved his game this year but he's also 22. Is he really that much different than an Alex Limoges was? Fans see a high draft pick and size and tons of goalscoring potential and think he deserves an ELC. The Ducks (and probably most, if not all, other teams) see a big question mark and are hesitant to tie up a contract slot. I suspect this is a "show me" situation for Colangelo to prove he can make an impact at the next level. I hope he does well and I hope the Ducks offer him an ELC but I don't think it is a given.

Actually, in an article (I can't find that article now), Colangelo had thoughts of going pro last year, but decided to stay an extra year in college. D Ian Moore didn't have a great season this year, but Verbeek wanted to sign him. Moore is staying, as of right now, for his senior year with Harvard.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

Well the “like” thing makes sense because the people who would comment about the Ducks are most likely Duck fans and not people he actually knows. Not to mention, all of those “likes” were from a couple of days ago when the picture was actually posted. He hasn’t “liked” any comment made after that day, which includes anyone who did post about the Ducks. I would personally toss that “evidence” out the window.

And if he had no intention of sticking with the organization, I highly doubt he would sign a PTO here. He would just ask for a trade and wait. Obviously we all hear about the bigger cases like Thrun because he returns a 3rd round pick. But there are plenty of other, smaller college UFA trades every year (like us acquiring Caulfield last year, or Edmonton trading Marino for a 6th). If anything, it seems like the aprehension on signing is coming from the Ducks and not him, which is also strange because Verbeek said the plan is to sign him.

Reactions: AngelDuck

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Well the “like” thing makes sense because the people who would comment about the Ducks are most likely Duck fans and not people he actually knows. Not to mention, all of those “likes” were from a couple of days ago when the picture was actually posted. He hasn’t “liked” any comment made after that day, which includes anyone who did post about the Ducks. I would personally toss that “evidence” out the window.

And if he had no intention of sticking with the organization, I highly doubt he would sign a PTO here. He would just ask for a trade and wait. Obviously we all hear about the bigger cases like Thrun because he returns a 3rd round pick. But there are plenty of other, smaller college UFA trades every year (like us acquiring Caulfield last year, or Edmonton trading Marino for a 6th). If anything, it seems like the aprehension on signing is coming from the Ducks and not him, which is also strange because Verbeek said the plan is to sign him.

He did not like the only comment about the ducks posted 2days ago when he posted and you that is a complete coincidence? Or that every other post was from people he knew and not random western Michigan fans?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
It is incredibly unorthodox, so not sure how you wouldn’t think something’s up.
I mean is it though? It's not exactly unheard of for college players to sign these types of deals out of school. It's really only the very good ones that burn years off their ELCs.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Nobody can offer him an ELC and burn a year other then us.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad