Sam Colangelo to wear number 66 for the Ducks, will become the first player since Josh Ho-Sang to wear it (upd: changed to #64)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
It’s to honor the all time bests

A lot of teams go overboard and retire way too many numbers, but retiring 1 or 2 makes a lot of sense. If the player deserves it

I didn’t think Mario ever played for the ducks, though
stopping young players from using their number is just a weird way to do it, imo.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
i like it. never understood the idea of retiring numbers.
I get it in certain cases. The origins in it are in Leafs not issuing Ace Bailey's number again after a tragic accident. Similarly, while there isn't a banner, the Leafs also won't issue Bill Barillko's #5. After those, it sort of was just used to honor great players with a franchise, which I have mixed feelings on. A lot of European soccer clubs have certain numbers which are an honor to wear, and you essentially get asked if you want to wear it (such as #7 at Manchester United).

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Why would you ever wear 99 or 66?

Because you think you’re awesome and you want attention

There’s a girl in my daughters soccer league who plays like she thinks she’s the best player in the league (she’s not), and she wears 99

It’s pretty cringe, even though they’re just kids.

If the kid didn’t act like she was a superstar, it wouldn’t be so bad. But it’s pretty obvious when someone wears 99 because they think they’re amazing

How dare he choose a number he wants

Maybe the team should assign numbers instead. What gives you the idea that someone can just choose their own number?

The number represents a unit on a team, it’s not necessarily someone’s right to even choose it. The numbers belong to the team

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Because you think you’re awesome and you want attention

There’s a girl in my daughters soccer league who plays like she thinks she’s the best player in the league (she’s not), and she wears 99

It’s pretty cringe, even though they’re just kids.

If the kid didn’t act like she was a superstar, it wouldn’t be so bad. But it’s pretty obvious when someone wears 99 because they think they’re amazing
Those numbers mean nothing in other sports. Absolutely nothing.

And who cares if he’s wearing 66. I GUESS HE DOESNT CARE ABOUT THE UNWRITTEN CODE.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Those numbers mean nothing in other sports. Absolutely nothing.

And who cares if he’s wearing 66. I GUESS HE DOESNT CARE ABOUT THE UNWRITTEN CODE.

I’m Canadian, everyone knows what wearing 99 means. Doesn’t matter what sport it is

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
In the nfl, a player’s number is based on their position.
Yea I’m saying those numbers don’t mean “BE WARY OF PICKING GRETZKYS OR LEMIEUXS NUMBER”

I’m Canadian, everyone knows what wearing 99 means. Doesn’t matter what sport it is
Nope. Personal opinion. Despite what you think not everyone cares about hockey in this country.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Yea I’m saying those numbers don’t mean “BE WARY OF PICKING GRETZKYS OR LEMIEUXS NUMBER”

Nope. Personal opinion. Despite what you think not everyone cares about hockey in this country.

I don’t think lemieux’s number has as much meaning as gretzky’s

Pro-tip, if your kid is wearing 99, you care about hockey

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I get it in certain cases. The origins in it are in Leafs not issuing Ace Bailey's number again after a tragic accident. Similarly, while there isn't a banner, the Leafs also won't issue Bill Barillko's #5. After those, it sort of was just used to honor great players with a franchise, which I have mixed feelings on. A lot of European soccer clubs have certain numbers which are an honor to wear, and you essentially get asked if you want to wear it (such as #7 at Manchester United).

You sure about that?

toronto-on-bill-barilkos-banner-hangs-in-the-ceiling-of-the-air-canada-centre-during-the.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Gretzky’s 99 is so sacred we can’t even flip it upside down and use 66? Come on, that’s silly. No one else wore 66, it should be free to use imo.

Reactions: The Macho King

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Maybe the team should assign numbers instead. What gives you the idea that someone can just choose their own number?

The number represents a unit on a team, it’s not necessarily someone’s right to even choose it. The numbers belong to the team
For the record, the Ducks did assign him a number, just like they do with (almost) every rookie. He's had #66 since his first development camp. He did not choose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad