Speculation: Salary Retention Question

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If a team re-acquires a player it has previously retained salary on, does the salary retention disappear? Or once salary is retained does it become its own unique entity for the life of the contract?

For example:
With the current rumours of Kessel's availability, would Toronto be able to re-acquire Kessel, have the 1.2 mill retention added back to his contract and then trade him at the full cap hit?

If it is the case that Toronto can relieve the 1.2 million, I would suspect that Toronto would explore being part of a 3-way in any deal involving Kessel.

After an exhaustive search I cannot find the answer.

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Also, why tf would Toronto go through all that hassle for only 1.2m of cap relief?

1.2 is a decent amount. That’s almost 2 4th liners.

Also it wouldn’t necessarily be a hassle. We can essentially be the middleman in a 3-way trade and give up an asset in exchange for the 1.2 retention. That is if it is indeed possible

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Cap retention stays for the remainder of his contract no matter where he goes, you cannot "un-retain"

Reactions: uncleben

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Cap retention stays for the remainder of his contract no matter where he goes
Is there any opt out option though? Like if the Leafs said to another team, we'll include our 3rd (or whatever other piece roughly valued at $1.2m), would you take him at his full cap hit?

It wouldn't disadvantage anyone so I couldn't see why the league wouldn't allow it.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Well it's never been done in the NHL, so it would need to be done/tried to do, and they would take a look at it.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
(iii) Prohibition on Transfers of Payroll Room. A Club may not sell, assign, trade, transfer or otherwise hypothecate its Payroll Room (including, without limitation, by trading a Cap Advantage Recapture charge or obligations pursuant to a Retained Salary Transaction), provided, however, that Clubs, in the context of Trades, may allocate between them the Averaged Amount and related Player Salary and Bonuses payable under the given SPC(s) associated with the Player(s) being Traded subject to the following limitations...

From how I understand the wording of the CBA, a retention is a firm agreement for the remainder of the contract. I would love to see it tested though, I'd imagine that the lawyers in Toronto could fight it and win.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
(iii) Prohibition on Transfers of Payroll Room. A Club may not sell, assign, trade, transfer or otherwise hypothecate its Payroll Room (including, without limitation, by trading a Cap Advantage Recapture charge or obligations pursuant to a Retained Salary Transaction), provided, however, that Clubs, in the context of Trades, may allocate between them the Averaged Amount and related Player Salary and Bonuses payable under the given SPC(s) associated with the Player(s) being Traded subject to the following limitations...

From how I understand the wording of the CBA, a retention is a firm agreement for the remainder of the contract. I would love to see it tested though, I'd imagine that the lawyers in Toronto could fight it and win.

I think there is a case to be made to unretain, you could say that agreed to retain for Pittsburgh but now that they've acquired him and want to trade him again, they are not willing to retain on him.

It could be a tough sell for the full 8M though, Toronto would have to take a soft return. Just not a feasible thing to really think to much about.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If there was 2 two-team trades instead of a 3 way deal where Toronto received Kessel for x, then shipped him out +whatever they are offering for the 1.2M relief they would first assume his full 8M cap hit then they should be able to trade him at his 8M cap hit. Example: Pittsburgh trades Kessel to Toronto for their 1st + Johnsson. Toronto trades Kessel at 8M to Carolina for their 1st round pick. Pittsburgh gets Johnsson + TOR 1st for Kessel, Carolina gives up their 1st for Kessel at 8M, Toronto gives up their 1st+Johnsson for 1.2M in cap space and CAR 1st.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Good question, but unlikely the Leafs would get the player back-and likely trading for more than they originally received to save $1.2M relief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad