Salary Cap: Salary Cap

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
The NHL salary cap structure has me shaking my head. The league in order to have so many American teams is doing everything to carry them by the richer teams. Revenue sharing being one example and minimum salary for the poorer teams.

The richer teams and there are more than just the leafs are not extended the benefits of carrying the league laggards. As compensation to the Heavyweights of the league the NHL should implement a franchise tag . You designate one player as your franchise and that salary does not count against the cap. This would basically give a $10-$12 million buffer for signing players which a team has drafted and developed. Maybe applicable for teams that have homegrown development. If a team picks up a UFA he cannot be labeled with the franchise tag.

For the bottom feeders that can't even meet league minimums the franchise tag can be exempt so all salaries count against the cap. If owners can't toe the line with such a low minimum (55 million) maybe they shouldn't be here in the first place.

Just a thought.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
How about adding all of, or, a % of any revenue sharing paid out, to the teams salary cap?

I suggest this having no clue as to how much our Leafs pay out to revenue sharing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad