News: Salary Cap staying at 81.5M

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is a HUGE advantage for teams like Montreal who have a lot of high profile players to sign in the next two years; UFA (Danault, Tatar, Gallagher, Petry, Armia) and RFA (Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Lehkonen).

This is also a huge advantage for teams who currently have a lot of cap space. It’s time for those teams to take advantage of the situation.

And what if those owners can’t afford it? The cap is staying level for a reason........

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So all the RFA who signed backloaded contracts last summer just became huge poison pills for their respective team. What do you do with the Tkachuk, Werenski, McCavoy of this world who will cost a fortune to qualify in what will most likely be a flat cap for a couple of years

I don't know why you included McAvoy at 7.3 on that list?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
you didn't even mention the worst one in timo meier. his qualifying offer is 10 million. oof

Doesn’t matter if the qualifying offer for Meier is 10m, 9.9m for Tkachuk, 8.25m for McCavoy, 7.7m for Werenski etc...

Teams are going to have to overpay to keep those guys or let them walk for nothing in a cap that will stay flat with high escrow % for a couple of years

Yeah, missed him. Wow that is going to f*** San Jose big time.

You guys do realize Meier signed a 4 year deal, right? His qualifying offer isn't a concern for another 3 years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To those saying teams with lots of cap space can take advantage.....well the owners might not want to spend that cap space given the lack of money they will be bring in with possibly no fans next year.

Reality is "rich" teams like the Leafs or NYR at least won't be hurt by the lack of fans for one year. Other teams might not be so lucky.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This is a HUGE advantage for teams like Montreal who have a lot of high profile players to sign in the next two years; UFA (Danault, Tatar, Gallagher, Petry, Armia) and RFA (Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Lehkonen).

This is also a huge advantage for teams who currently have a lot of cap space. It’s time for those teams to take advantage of the situation.
This list of high profile players made me smile.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Eh in four years I dont expect us to be competing. Burns Vlasic and Karlsson will be 4 years older and still under contract. We will probaby trade Meier and he will sign a long term contract with someone
Did SJ compete this season?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i bet the list of players using their no-trade clauses and nmc to block a trade to new jersey is even more exciting
No worry, Alzner and Price aren't on NJ wish list.

On a serious note. There are a lof of players with ntc or nmc in their contracts, which are overpaid - even more so in a flat cap environment. The players, NJ would target, are the RFAs, who can't find a fair contract from an already capped out team. I could see TB having trouble finding a team, who takes an expensive veteran of their roster.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If by idiot you mean one of the most reliable insiders (probably 2nd only to Bob McKenzie in reliability and accuracy) in all of hockey... then, yeah.

Ehh, Elliott is still closest to Bob for the folks who understand that when he prefaces something with, "I think", it's speculation, not a rumor.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If there are escrow debt paybacks how does that work for someone who’s contract changes this season? For example if there’s 25% escrow this year but the players only paid 15% from their cheque’s they owe 10%. Would a player who was paid say 1 million but resigned for 5 million be paying the 100k he owes(10% of 1 million, his prior contract to make up his share) or does the NHLPA as a whole pay 10% this year, meaning the guy who is suddenly making 5 million is paying 500k now. I would assume the former, players individually make up their share based on prior years and not as a whole based on next year

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If there are escrow debt paybacks how does that work for someone who’s contract changes this season? For example if there’s 25% escrow this year but the players only paid 15% from their cheque’s they owe 10%. Would a player who was paid say 1 million but resigned for 5 million be paying the 100k he owes(10% of 1 million, his prior contract to make up his share) or does the NHLPA as a whole pay 10% this year, meaning the guy who is suddenly making 5 million is paying 500k now. I would assume the former, players individually make up their share based on prior years and not as a whole based on next year
Escrow payback is based on 2019/2020 salary. They will have to pay out of pocket

Reactions: Morrison

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
If by idiot you mean one of the most reliable insiders (probably 2nd only to Bob McKenzie in reliability and accuracy) in all of hockey... then, yeah.
LOL, LeBrun is dumber than Milbury. Le Brun ads nothing but rumour and opinion. Having LeBrun on a panel of insiders is the same as having Kevin Lowe included on a Team Canada management group. It just reeks of some sort of nepotism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad