Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Praise be to Nero's Neptune, the Titanic sails at dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’ve mentioned it before but Gallagher would be great for Crosby’s line. Bit more puck handling skills than Horny (which should make him happy), a little less strength but plays a similar game.

Quite a few Montreal fans think picks and/or prospects could get him. We’d need some cap space though.

Some insurance too if Hornqvist does not come back (although I’ll cry if he doesn’t).

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Is it possible there's some element of collusion going on here? I mean, we're the two time defending champs. So, unless we significantly over pay is it possible teams just aren't all that interested in dealing with us?

Because clearly there are teams out there that have no chance this season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is it possible there's some element of collusion going on here? I mean, we're the two time defending champs. So, unless we significantly over pay is it possible teams just aren't all that interested in dealing with us?

Doubt it. If a trade works for a team they do it.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Unless its a conspiracy amongst owners not to deal with us its not collusion.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I was being more figurative than literal here. My point is unless we offer something silly to someone it really seems we're up against it.

I mean yeah, nobody is out to do us any favors in Dec. by the deadline the team withbthe best offer will get the sellers.player.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Prices are higher the further out from the deadline you are. It's also harder to make trades line up because of Cap space issues.

I know our current injuries are a variable here, but I find it hard to believe we can't fine ONE legitimate dance partner.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's not as if JR hasn't made trades this time of year or even earlier in years past. But all of a sudden this season, notta.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
FLA, OTT, ARI, BUF etc arent going anywhere. Just sayin. It's also not as if JR is like Shero where he'll try to rob you blind. He's pretty ''generous'' actually when it comes to giving up assets. And yet not ONE freaking trade partner. Nothing fishy at all.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
FLA, OTT, ARI, BUF etc arent going anywhere. Just sayin. It's also not as if JR is like Shero where he'll try to rob you blind. He's pretty ''generous'' actually when it comes to giving up assets. And yet not ONE freaking trade partner. Nothing fishy at all.

We just made 2 trades recently, but we're obviously looking for something bigger right now which often takes more time to orchestrate, particularly in a cap world where there's a lot of parity and not much wiggle room money-wise. If we only wanted to make more "Archibald for a 4th/4th for Oleksiak" nothing moves, I'm sure we could have had a handful of them.

Look around. There aren't many trades happening anywhere - this isn't a Penguins-only phenomenon.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We don't have a luxury to wait things out, our record speaks for itself. If JR has to overpay a bit, so be it. Or, if he wants to regroup for next year and potentially not make the playoffs this year, fine. But you don't want to be in the middle (so to speak).

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We just made 2 trades recently, but we're obviously looking for something bigger right now which often takes more time to orchestrate, particularly in a cap world where there's a lot of parity and not much wiggle room money-wise. If we only wanted to make more "Archibald for a 4th/4th for Oleksiak" nothing moves, I'm sure we could have had a handful of them.

Look around. There aren't many trades happening anywhere - this isn't a Penguins-only phenomenon.

That IMO was window dressing. Those trades were so around the edges We don't know if they'll move the needle or not.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There is absolutely no conspiracy here against the Pens. We’ve made 5 trades since June, all with different teams.

St. Louis - Reaves
Vancouver - Pouliot
Detroit - Sheahan
Dallas -Oleksiak
Arizona - Archibald

There’s no conpiracy. It’s not other teams refusing to work with us...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There is absolutely no conspiracy here against the Pens. We’ve made 5 trades since June, all with different teams.

St. Louis - Reaves
Vancouver - Pouliot
Detroit - Sheahan
Dallas -Oleksiak
Arizona - Archibald

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy for teams to want to keep their squad or ask for too much. Why do teams HAVE to give us a player we need? Can you elaborate?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

St. Louis - Reaves
Vancouver - Pouliot
Detroit - Sheahan
Dallas -Oleksiak
Arizona - Archibald

Honestly, those are curtain jerker trades!

And in the Reaves deal IMO we gave up quite a bit there relative to acquiring a career 4th liner.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We don't have a luxury to wait things out, our record speaks for itself. If JR has to overpay a bit, so be it. Or, if he wants to regroup for next year and potentially not make the playoffs this year, fine. But you don't want to be in the middle (so to speak).

So do you want JR to way overpay for something? Unprotected 1st and/or Sprong?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
the titanic may have already hit the proverbial iceberg.
Out of the playoffs December 1? Done like (Thanksgiving) dinner | The Hockey News

The bad news, though, is that if you’re more than five points out at this point, your chances of making the playoffs are almost non-existent. Which means that if history is any indication,

and...

But the numbers get more daunting when you look at them more closely. Of the 41 teams that have gotten themselves back into the playoff picture after U.S. Thanksgiving, 22 of them have been only two or fewer points out of a playoff spot. That means historically, if you’re more than two points out of the playoffs at this point of the season, your chances of making the playoffs are just over 10 percent.

granted this article is a little old. but still. here we are a full month past that date where if you are 2 or more points out and you are 90% likely to miss the playoffs. and we are 3 points out of a play off spot.

If the alarm bells aren't going full tilt right now in the GM's office then we have given up. I believe this team *can* make the playoffs. I also believe if someone can fix the broken "give a damn" that we have a decent chance to do some damage come playoff time. Personally I don't know how you get Crosby to play with passion from now until April, because without that we are done like dinner, no matter what the trade is. You can't tell me that when the Captain / face of the team is skating like it's a sunday twirl down the canal that the rest of the team is not impacted by that. Only Hornqvist seems to go 1000% all the time.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad