GDT: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Counting Down to February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Letestus dreams he had Plekanec's vision and offensive ability. Plekanec is old though. What he was isn't what he is now, that's for sure, but instincts and vision aren't things you lose. Plekanec can get open or feed Phil. He can also draw tough match ups if needed and he is an above average playmaker.

We would need him about 15 mins a night max. Phil will have ES shifts with Geno at times.

Plekanec >>> Letestu.

Letestu >>>>>>>>>> Rowney

Honestly, if the goal would be to keep Plekanec fresh you could use Sheahan to eat a chunk of those shifts and do a few Malkin-Kessel shifts. Maybe even see the elusive Crosby-Kessel pairing. It wouldn’t be the most difficult thing to limit his minutes and hope for more effectiveness. It’s if that would work and be worth it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I guess I'm the only one who is perfectly content with Riley Sheahan in the third-line center role? I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want to upset the apple cart too much this year? I guess I'm the only one who has been uber-impressed with how this team has played since January 1, through a very tough stretch of the schedule, and not only came out of it alive but were close to dominant.

I don't know, it seems like this is the year when less is more. Our young guys have responded nicely. We are a match-up nightmare for every team in the league if we stand pat. We are a lot healthier than we have been in the past. We are a heavier team than in years past too, and after two straight Cups that is probably going to help us go on another deep run. We are still a super fast team, but now we can deliver the hits too.

It seems to me everybody wants to try to re-create the 2015-16 or 2016-17 teams, instead of embracing what we now have.

Maybe, just maybe we won't need as much fourth-line production this time around. Maybe if Geno, Sid and Phil have a little bit more room out there, that's all it will take to make up the difference?

Do I want a fourth-line center as a replacement for Rowney? Of course I do. But wouldn't that player HAVE to be a right-handed center who can win draws and kill penalties? Otherwise, there's no guarantee that Sullivan takes Rowney out of the lineup. The best news that could come out of deadline day (or the day before, actually) is if we place Rowney on waivers. That would make me really, really happy.

Otherwise, why bring in a winger? Hornqvist isn't even in the lineup right now. Sprong can't get into the lineup right now. Kuhnhackl will probably be a sub when he returns to full health. All anyone wants to talk about is finding the right chemistry for Phil, for Sid, etc. Our three superstars are all going to finish in the top 10 in scoring, and there's a chance all three finish top 5. Sullivan will continue to mix and match the lines until he finds something that sticks.

I thought we needed to upgrade the D this year, but Oleksiak might be enough. Letang is rounding back into form, hopefully, and maybe Schultz and Maatta can play better too. Dumoulin is our rock, and Cole-Oleksiak bring the brawn. Ruhwedel on another team would be playing right now. Hunwick, we could move him and not feel a thing.

I love this team, as presently constructed. I don't want to mess with a good thing. Let Columbus overpay for Brassard. Everybody is chasing us for a reason, because we are already damn good.

Find a 4th-line center that Sullivan can trust and move forward.

Reactions: billybudd

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Honestly, if the goal would be to keep Plekanec fresh you could use Sheahan to eat a chunk of those shifts and do a few Malkin-Kessel shifts. Maybe even see the elusive Crosby-Kessel pairing. It wouldn’t be the most difficult thing to limit his minutes and hope for more effectiveness. It’s if that would work and be worth it.
i'm on board....oh, wait, what's the cost?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Without powerplay points, last 2 years:

Plekanec: 137 games, 12 goals and 43 points, neutral possession player with heavy Dzone starts (almost 0.0 CF%Rel with 40% offensive zone starts)
Letestu: 136 games, 10 goals and 33 points, horrid possession player with heavy Dzone starts (about -4.0% CF%Rel with 40% offensive zone starts)

Plekanec is a lot better than Letestu. Plekanec is also having a better season this year than he had last year, he's on pace for 31 ES points per 82 games with slightly above neutral possession stats (0.2% CF%Rel and 1.3% FF%Rel) while getting 40% offensive zone starts. Letestu, on the other hand, has been a healthy scratch this season and is on pace for 13 ES points this year. Let's put it this way, Plekanec and his "horrible goal scoring" talent has more ES goals than Letestu has this year.

Letestu is nothing but a special teams player, he's dramatically worse than Plekanec is. Plekanec this year has been a pretty solid defensive 3C, especially with his playmaking talent. So basically Riley Sheahan. Now, it's a question of whether a former top-6 playmaker fits better with Kessel than Sheahan does, but it's a gamble I think would be smart to make.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
who look like better options to you?

I'd take Plekanec because he's cheap, i prefer him over guys like Letestu or someone, he'd atleast give us solid defensive play. Another backup option is Soderberg, but he makes 5 million for 3 years including this year, so the Avs would really need to retain for us to go after him. With Plekanec, we get him for 4 months at most for a cheap cost, then we sign a decent 3c in FA or revisit the trade market. but atleast we don't get stuck with Rowney for the post season...

I'd prefer to go for Cullen again over Pleks if we can't get Brassard...just as good if not better, knows our system and is much, much cheaper. Could still go for a wing...don't know if he's available though

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd prefer to go for Cullen again over Pleks if we can't get Brassard...just as good if not better, knows our system and is much, much cheaper. Could still go for a wing...don't know if he's available though

Cullen isn't coming back though, so that's not an option. There really aren't many better options than Plekanec that we know are available.

Reactions: Riptide

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If Karlsson goes i don't see Dorion moving anybody else.

Karlsson is getting payed 7 million this year and next year, that's a a lot of money off the books.

Ottawa doesn't have its first round pick next year, they gotta try to win next year.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'd think we would have to include Jarry. I think 6 assets is too much. Karlsson is great, but we would be buying 18 months of him.

I can’t see it being Letang and Karlsson so we’d probably see Letang go out to replenish assets at some point and Karlsson re-signed. I’d be shocked if JR seriously contemplated it.

Dorion playing Dreger again. Saying Karlsson could be moved before the deadline. Just said 50/50.

I don't believe that for a second. People would riot.

If Tampa was like “take everything!” I think he’d be moved but other than that they’ll wait.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kessel
Rust
Sprong
Reaves
one of those guys isn't proven to be a long term NHL scoring wing, one of them is best on his own line, one of them is mostly a 3rd liner, and one of them is Ryan Reaves. And none of them even comes close to replacing the things that Hornqvist does.

BetterCallSaul

Feb 28, 2017
Get Letestu or Plekanec for a 5th / 6th round pick as 4th line C => Trade Hunwick for whatever => Let the other teams overpay for assets like they did the last couple years => Win Lord Stanley anyways - Sounds like a fair deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad