Salary Cap Reminder

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
With the season set to start on Saturday just a quick reminder to be cap compliant ($40M floor & $64.3M ceiling) before then. There's a few teams just under the ceiling, but the following are over as of right now:

Leafs
Oilers
Sabres
Stars

Make sure you get your lines in before fines start piling up!

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
What are the waiver rules this year? For some reason it the sim is asking me to waive a player even though its pre-season.

Thanks,

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
What are the waiver rules this year? For some reason it the sim is asking me to waive a player even though its pre-season.

Thanks,

Waiver settings are the same as usual, it's just an issue because we've had 10+ pre-season games now and usually the schedule is shorter so it's not an issue. I'll turn waivers off for now so people can set their rosters in preparation for the regular season.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Maybe I'm confused, but I had thought we had put in new waiver rules which were based on the salary of the player, not their age or whatever, as we had implemented a hard cap this year, so we tinkered with this. Can't remember the details, but had thought it was something like a player only had to clear waivers if their salary was over $1.5M or so? Maybe this was just a concept we discussed - I forget.

Anyone recall the details of this?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Maybe I'm confused, but I had thought we had put in new waiver rules which were based on the salary of the player, not their age or whatever, as we had implemented a hard cap this year, so we tinkered with this. Can't remember the details, but had thought it was something like a player only had to clear waivers if their salary was over $1.5M or so? Maybe this was just a concept we discussed - I forget.

Anyone recall the details of this?

I don`t remember quite clearly but I thought that was the concept of 1-way vs. 2 way contracts. Anyone with a salary over a certain amount (in the case here, say $1.5), his contract would remain that and not get taken down to $150,000, to prevent GMs from hiding vets in the minors.

My memory is foggy too so I`m not sure.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1476837
"As a method of preventing Salary Cap circumvention we are giving out One-way Contracts. A One-way Contract means that a player will be paid their full salary whether on the Pro or Farm roster. Any player making $2M or more (this number may be reviewed and changed at a future date) will be granted a One-way Contract automatically.

If a player with a One-way Contract is sent to the Farm he will no longer count against your Salary Cap total (regardless of his OV), however, he will be payed his full contract value.

Example: Jamie Langenbrunner has a contract that pays $4M. If sent to the Farm, Langenbrunner no longer counts against the Lightning Salary Cap, but will be paid his full $4M salary out of the Lightning Bank, not $400k (10%) as it used to be.

Regular waiver rules will still apply, the only change here is how much players are paid while being kept on your Farm roster. This is very important to keep in mind when offering contracts to UDFA, and FA's in general, as you can no longer hide from larger contracts handed out to players who will not contribute. Carrying One-way Contracts in the Farm will be a very risky move and could quickly lead to bankruptcy if not managed closely."

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I was the one-way wrinkle I was thinking of then, not waivers.

Of note, and I think we have done this in past, in the event there is an injury and the SIM automatically calls up a waiver eligible player (instead of the GM's preferred option of a similarly rated non-waiver eligible player) I believe we allow them to send the player back down if they swap the players as soon as they can without clearing waivers, is that correct? Is it an official rule, or just something the SIM manager has done in past? This one is foggy for me too, and relevant for a few teams, so figured I'd bring it up.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Thanks, guys. I was the one-way wrinkle I was thinking of then, not waivers.

Of note, and I think we have done this in past, in the event there is an injury and the SIM automatically calls up a waiver eligible player (instead of the GM's preferred option of a similarly rated non-waiver eligible player) I believe we allow them to send the player back down if they swap the players as soon as they can without clearing waivers, is that correct? Is it an official rule, or just something the SIM manager has done in past? This one is foggy for me too, and relevant for a few teams, so figured I'd bring it up.

We might need Matt to chime in here. I can't recall this happening or being discussed.

It takes 10 games played for a player to be waiver eligible so it's not a potential issue until later in the season, but I see how it could become an issue. I'm hopeful that a less condensed sim schedule means people can manage their injuries a little more effectively, but I know there will still be times where people can't get lines in.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Another potential issue is that I believe the sim will not allow simming to be done while a team is over the cap. It simply gives the simgod an error message and won't allow simming until the team is under the cap. It only gives this error if the team that's over the cap is scheduled to play that day.

I understand we'll use the sim setting where an injured player doesn't count against the cap, allowing teams to re-call players from the farm without going over the cap. But then when the injured player gets healthy again and the GM doesn't do his lines, his team is then over the cap.

What will the procedure be when this happens, potentially on a fairly regular basis?

Edit: I guess the easiest thing to do is to send that farm player back to the farm. There will be times when this requires waivers though.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Another potential issue is that I believe the sim will not allow simming to be done while a team is over the cap. It simply gives the simgod an error message and won't allow simming until the team is under the cap. It only gives this error if the team that's over the cap is scheduled to play that day.

I understand we'll use the sim setting where an injured player doesn't count against the cap, allowing teams to re-call players from the farm without going over the cap. But then when the injured player gets healthy again and the GM doesn't do his lines, his team is then over the cap.

What will the procedure be when this happens, potentially on a fairly regular basis?

Edit: I guess the easiest thing to do is to send that farm player back to the farm. There will be times when this requires waivers though.

The setting that stops simming when teams are over the cap can be toggled on/off. My plan is to leave it on to identify the offenders, issue fines, disable setting, sim, enable setting. Rinse and repeat daily.

As for the injury situation...as Dryden points out...hopefully people pay attention to their teams. I'm also hopeful that on a less condensed schedule it will be easier for people to make adjustments as needed without getting caught and fined on a game day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad