News Article: Salary cap might not go up

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Bridge deal the guys coming ELC and the team is fine. Teams like Chicago that just gave Toews and Kane 10.5 each will be in trouble though.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It seems premised on the fact that the NHLPA won't use it's 5% inflator. I just don't see that happening. Every year they've used it, I don't see why it would be different this time.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
It seems premised on the fact that the NHLPA won't use it's 5% inflator. I just don't see that happening. Every year they've used it, I don't see why it would be different this time.

From what I understand, if they use their 5% inflator and the hockey revenues don't go up, they won't get the money they put in escrow back, or even worse, they will have to pay the owners with money they already received.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Bridge deal the guys coming ELC and the team is fine. Teams like Chicago that just gave Toews and Kane 10.5 each will be in trouble though.

We already knew that when they signed those deals, though.

I'd still prefer to sign Chucky long-term ASAP. Bergy can bridge deal the rest.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Please let's not start with that debate again. It went on long enough with the PK talk and nothing got proven other than there are benefits and risks to both approaches.

They wouldn't cost as much though.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I guess its bye, bye Sharp.

$7M becomes free from Richards, Oduya and Roszy.

Trade Bickell's $4M. Worse case scenario they buy it out for a $1M hit. There's $10M free to Kruger, Rundblad and Saad plus low cap players to make up the two forwards and two defencemen they'd need.

Two forwards would likely be Teravainen and Mark McNeil (both under $1M in salary, Teuvo gets rookie bonuses). Two D could be Pokka and a free agency signing like Diaz or Weaver.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Just looking at capgeek I was floored to see that Toronto is spending the most this year. They better hope players don't hit their bonuses or they'll be looking at a reduced cap and 9 players to sign with 15 million.

Also in regards to Chicago, they have right now 3.2 million to sign 8 players and one is a top 4 defenseman. They will have to shed salary and have some ELC's on their roster no matter what. No team is going to let them off the hook either, and when they need to trade a good player for cap implications GM's will put the wood to them.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Trade Bickell's $4M. Worse case scenario they buy it out for a $1M hit. There's $10M free to Kruger, Rundblad and Saad plus low cap players to make up the two forwards and two defencemen they'd need.

Two forwards would likely be Teravainen and Mark McNeil (both under $1M in salary, Teuvo gets rookie bonuses). Two D could be Pokka and a free agency signing like Diaz or Weaver.

You make it sound a lot easier than it is. Saad can get quite a big increase in salary and Oduya/ Roz play a big part on Defense. Replacing them with rookies is a step down. Nothing is impossible, but it won't be easy for them.
They're not the only team either. Boston is up against the cap and have Soderberg, Smith, Krug, Bart all set to become RFA/UFA.
Kings have Clifford, Pearson, Toffoli, Martinez, Nolan.

It could get very interesting.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You make it sound a lot easier than it is. Saad can get quite a big increase in salary and Oduya/ Roz play a big part on Defense. Replacing them with rookies is a step down. Nothing is impossible, but it won't be easy for them.
They're not the only team either. Boston is up against the cap and have Soderberg, Smith, Krug, Bart all set to become RFA/UFA.
Kings have Clifford, Pearson, Toffoli, Martinez, Nolan.

It could get very interesting.

Nobody said their team would be as good or better making the moves, but that's the kind of shuffling they will be forced to do. Any decision that starts with "Trade Sharp" is gonna be a bad decision.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

That $7M saved won't even cover what's needed for when the Toews and Kane extensions kick in next season. According to capgeek the Hawks have $3.2M in cap space for next season if the cap stays at $69M with only 15 players signed. If the cap doesn't rise they will have to cut some salary.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Agreed. I never understand why everybody assumes that Sharp will be given away. Wishful thinking at best.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
the analysis seems weak and doesn't account for a $150M step up in payments from Rogers, which is $5M per team. For an exchange rate to offset this and the inflation on ticket prices, keeping in mind that only 7 out of 30 teams get their gate revenue in $cdn, the loonie would have to tumble pretty bad.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Agreed. I never understand why everybody assumes that Sharp will be given away. Wishful thinking at best.

Haven't you heard? Whenever a team gets into cap difficulties they start trading away their best players.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
That $7M saved won't even cover what's needed for when the Toews and Kane extensions kick in next season. According to capgeek the Hawks have $3.2M in cap space for next season if the cap stays at $69M with only 15 players signed. If the cap doesn't rise they will have to cut some salary.

Looking at a Capgeek right now with a cap of $69M for Blackhawks without Bickell if they add Teuvo and McNeil. They have $5.45M to add four players (Saad, Krueger, Rundblad) to complete a lineup. If they have to buy out Bickell it'll be a bit harder for them but $5.45M is possible.

I also think the cap is gonna rise to $70M-71M, which will give the Blackhawks just enough wiggle room.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
From what I understand, if they use their 5% inflator and the hockey revenues don't go up, they won't get the money they put in escrow back, or even worse, they will have to pay the owners with money they already received.

Yes every player will lose more money via escrow (Assuming revenues don't rise), but it is shared among all players. Not doing it screws over the current crop of FAs, the FAs will get less money so that players already signed to deals can keep more of theirs. Not exactly the solidarity you'd want/expect from a union. So the NHLPA leadership will almost certainly push for the inflator, will enough players be selfish and vote against their union's leadership? Seems doubtful.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Looking at a Capgeek right now with a cap of $69M for Blackhawks without Bickell if they add Teuvo and McNeil. They have $5.45M to add four players (Saad, Krueger, Rundblad) to complete a lineup. If they have to buy out Bickell it'll be a bit harder for them but $5.45M is possible.

I also think the cap is gonna rise to $70M-71M, which will give the Blackhawks just enough wiggle room.

Getting another team to take on Bickell's contract might be a problem for them. Saad will get a nice raise from the $764K he's making now and will likely take up $3-$3.5M of that $5.45M you have projected if they can find someone to take on Bickell and his full salary that is.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
To be fair Boston couldn't re-sign Iginla and had to give Boychuk away

To be fair Boston wouldn't do a multi year deal, and Boychuk is not in the same category of players being mentioned here. But I understand your point, sometimes a player is made available because of a squeeze.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Just looking at capgeek I was floored to see that Toronto is spending the most this year. They better hope players don't hit their bonuses or they'll be looking at a reduced cap and 9 players to sign with 15 million.

That Clarkson contract is just gonna be the gift that keeps on giving.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
To be fair Boston wouldn't do a multi year deal, and Boychuk is not in the same category of players being mentioned here. But I understand your point, sometimes a player is made available because of a squeeze.

In this case wouldn't is related to couldn't. In the end where there's a will, there's a way. Chicago had to dump Campbell, Buff and walked away from Niemi's $2.75M arbitration. Yet they managed to do OK after. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad