Proposal: Salary Cap Calculations sheet

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hi guys,

Not sure if this deserves it's own thread, but I would like to use this for feedback.

I created a sheet in Excel, to help out with cap calculations and trade proposals. Can some of you guys please test and let me know what you guys think?

The workbook contains the following sheets:

- New York Rangers Salary Cap: This sheet contains all current players, including their cap hit for each season until 2021-22
- Contract details explained: This sheet has notes regarding Entry level contracts, No-move clauses, No-trade clauses, bonus systems and Pro-rated salaries
- Unsigned draft picks: Pretty self-explanatory, I guess

The following sheets are hidden, but can be views when you unhide them (right-click on one of the existing sheets and select "Unhide"):

- Pending UFA: Again, self-explanatory
- Other Forwards: All forwards contracted to the 29 other franchises, including pending UFAs
- Other Defensemen: All defensemen contracted to the 29 other franchises, including pending UFAs
- Other Goalies: All Goalies contracted to the 29 other franchises, including pending UFAs
- The sheets Offense, Defense, Goalies, are the sheets that include the Rangers players

- There is a total of 1440 non-Ranger players in the sheet, including contract status and cap hit (831 forwards, 458 D-men, 151 Goalies)
- In the first sheet, you can add players by simply clicking on the cells. Select a player from a different team and see what it does to the cap. You can delete them just by using the delete-button while selecting the cell. Same goes for current Ranger players, in case you want to trade or demote them
- Current season cap calculations. These convert the salaries of new acquisitions (i.e. players we trade for) to the pro-rated salaries which will count against the cap. For more info, see bottom of this message.

For the people interested: The calculations can be found on rows 46-49. Sum of the pro-rated salaries is cell D50, which is included in the formula in G38, to calculate the cap hit, which then is included in the SUM to make up the total Salary Cap Payroll.

I added the sheet as an attachment

Please check to see if everything is working. And feel free to use the sheet to calculate the cap of your desired Rangers team ;)

Last edited:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Great stuff neerland brother! :yo:

At first it looked like capgeek, but it's more. Downloaded it. Workes so far.

One question how can I resign our own players.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If you want to re-sign players, change the values in the row next to the players names, in the sheet Offense, Defense or Goalies. Don't change the values in the first sheet, since it all contains codes to pull info from the raw data in the other sheets.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I decided to password-protect the sheet. If someone wants to work on it a bit and unlock, send me a PM

Last edited:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Okay. But does it still count against the cap now that he's sent down to the minors?

Cap hit is calculated per day.

This NHL season is 186 days. Each day, a player counts towards the cap: his cap hit/186. No matter if they are still on the team or not (even if they were traded), if they were on the roster, they counted towards our cap for those days.

Calculating it per day comes into play during the trade deadline, because teams "bank" their cap space. If we use your spreadsheet and add a player on the trade deadline, it may appear we are over the cap, even though we actually aren't, because the cap is calculated per day.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

This NHL season is 186 days. Each day, a player counts towards the cap: his cap hit/186. No matter if they are still on the team or not (even if they were traded), if they were on the roster, they counted towards our cap for those days.

Calculating it per day comes into play during the trade deadline, because teams "bank" their cap space. If we use your spreadsheet and add a player on the trade deadline, it may appear we are over the cap, even though we actually aren't, because the cap is calculated per day.

Okay. I already included a formula that calculates the cap of the new players for the pro-rated value (i.e. salary divided by total days of the reg season, multiplied by days left in the season). Just have to find out a way to calculate all the cap of players like Duclair. Thanks. I will get on it and try to get it added.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Okay. I already included a formula that calculates the cap of the new players for the pro-rated value (i.e. salary divided by total days of the reg season, multiplied by days left in the season). Just have to find out a way to calculate all the cap of players like Duclair. Thanks. I will get on it and try to get it added.

Thanks. TSN.com has a transactions section of each player's page. It should show when they were called up and sent down.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Thanks, RangerGuy

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Okay. Have a new version with a 2nd string of formulas, calculating our cap space at the deadline, by taking into consideration the 91 days Duclair was on the roster and also subtracting the days Fast and Miller were in Hartford, which means their salary only counts for the days they have been on the Rangers.

Enjoy

Last edited:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Okay. Have a new version with a 2nd string of formulas, calculating our cap space at the deadline, by taking into consideration the 91 days Duclair was on the roster and also subtracting the days Fast and Miller were in Hartford, which means their salary only counts for the days they have been on the Rangers.

Enjoy

Also Ryan Malone. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else who has been on the Rangers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Changelog v3:

• Updated contract details for all players
  • Revised calculations for deadline cap space
  • Included pro-rated values for Miller, Fast, Duclair and Malone
  • Added buried salary row
  • Added explanation for salary burrying in Contract details explained sheet

Tutorial:
  • Want to add or remove Ranger players? Use the areas Forwards, Defense, and Goalies
  • Want to add new players? Use the areas New players
  • Want to send Glass down? Remember, you can only bury 925k, which leaves 525k that counts against the cap. Add that to cell G38
  • Want to extend contracts? Go to the sheets Offense, Defense, Goalies for Ranger contacts. Go to Other Forwards, Other Defensemen, Other Goalies for non-Ranger contracts.
  • Don't see the sheets? Right-click on the sheet label, and choose unhide and select the sheet to unhide in the window popping up.

Have any questions? Don't hesitate to ask. Either post them here, or send me a PM.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad