HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Saku Koivu Turns 47 Today (Nov. 23)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I always thought it was crazy how much shit he got on this board from the early days of HF. Was one of my favorite Habs along with Markov and Price from the more recent days. Naslund will always be my favorite all time Hab since he was the main reason why I became such a huge fan of hockey and the Habs.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I always thought it was crazy how much shit he got on this board from the early days of HF. Was one of my favorite Habs along with Markov and Price from the more recent days. Naslund will always be my favorite all time Hab since he was the main reason why I became such a huge fan of hockey and the Habs.
Dude stop copying me.

Reactions: montreal

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

He was hyped to the moon before he even played a game, and then he was leading the league in scoring before he got hurt in his 2nd season.

I think those two factors caused a certain level of expectations among a specific crowd that he was just never going to live up to.

Maybe it's a different story if he doesn't suffer that terrible knee injury, but he'll always be a legend in my books.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
He was hyped to the moon before he even played a game, and then he was leading the league in scoring before he got hurt in his 2nd season.

I think those two factors caused a certain level of expectations among a specific crowd that he was just never going to live up to.

Maybe it's a different story if he doesn't suffer that terrible knee injury, but he'll always be a legend in my books.

I was there. He really didn't get that much criticism at all here despite the performance of the team during that time. There were low points and high points.

Personally I always thought that after his injury management wrongly focused of trying to find complimentary players for him at other positions when the truth is that he wasn't performing at as a "true" first line C for much of his later years.

Fun Fact: The Habs never made the playoffs in any season where Saku led the team in points (which happened three times).

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I was there. He really didn't get that much criticism at all here despite the performance of the team during that time. There were low points and high points.

Personally I always thought that after his injury management wrongly focused of trying to find complimentary players for him at other positions when the truth is that he wasn't performing at as a "true" first line C for much of his later years.

Fun Fact: The Habs never made the playoffs in any season where Saku led the team in points (which happened three times).
Habs probably picked A Kost to compliment Koivu when the logical choice would have been the BPA : Carter or Getzlaf. There was an hole a #2C. Well, if Carter or Getzlaf would have been Habs, Koivu might have slip to #2C after two years, for the benefit of the team. Same thing if Habs picked Kopitar few years later. Ironicly Koivu ended his carreer second C after Getzlaf in Anaheim.

Reactions: cphabs and BLONG7

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Habs probably picked A Kost to compliment Koivu when the logical choice would have been the BPA : Carter or Getzlaf. There was an hole a #2C. Well, if Carter or Getzlaf would have been Habs, Koivu might have slip to #2C after two years, for the benefit of the team. Same thing if Habs picked Kopitar few years later. Ironicly Koivu ended his carreer second C after Getzlaf in Anaheim.

At the time there was a surge of outrage amongst some on this board when Ribeiro started to get prime offensive icetime and some perceived that he was used as a "no. 1 center" over Koivu, even if that wasn't true at all. Obviously Koivu was a much better all-around player so he got tougher minutes and Ribeiro got mostly offensive deployment. It's just common sense to use players that way but apparently not for everybody. I agree that the fate of the team would have been so much better if they had looked to upgrade at C much earlier than they did.

To a degree this is what happened with Carey Price as well in the past. The Habs have had so many cheap/bad backups because they wanted him to feel secure and in control and whenever he got injured or in a funk the team had no other option. They should have kept Halak and split the games 50/30 every season.

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

Locks

May 28, 2005
Happy Birthday, Saku! Special player, special person. And before the emergence of Suzuki, we have not had a #1 C since Koivu's prime years.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
naslund was my neighbour growing up - he'd join in on street hockey games in the 80s..

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad