Saku Koivu internationally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
How do you rate him?

He's always at the top of scoring, Finland now has 3 olympic medals with him and one of them might be shining gold. When he wasnt there in 2002, they didnt do squat. He was also a big reason for their success in the world cup.

I've always been of the opinion he was in the top 5 internationally. With recent events the last 4 years, can you say he's that, or more?

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
He's been exceptional, but why can't some of these Olympians replicate their effort and performance for their NHL clubs :sarcasm:

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Koivu is little better on larger ice (more room for his incessant moving). Also you must remember NHL-season is damn long, Koivu´s game is based so much on being fired up that it´s impossible to keep that up for 80 games. Shortly put, he is playoff-player and a international tournament is like playoffs.

I personally rank him "internationally" right up there with Forsberg etc. Not a notch below.

Marksman

Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
SammyTheBull said:
He's been exceptional, but why can't some of these Olympians replicate their effort and performance for their NHL clubs :sarcasm:

Koivu certainly gives some extra effort when playing for his country, whenever he puts on Team Finland uniform. But what else you would expect from player receiving this honor? Why is this so hard to see?

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Noutaja said:
Koivu is little better on larger ice (more room for his incessant moving). Also you must remember NHL-season is damn long, Koivu´s game is based so much on being fired up that it´s impossible to keep that up for 80 games. Shortly put, he is playoff-player and a international tournament is like playoffs.

I personally rank him "internationally" right up there with Forsberg etc. Not a notch below.
My opinion has been the same for a long time. Koivu is the game's best player in European size rinks.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
Korkki said:
My opinion has been the same for a long time. Koivu is the game's best player in European size rinks.

Quoted for the truth.

He has been that since Team Finland built the team around 18 year old Saku and he has pretty much always been the best player out there in internationals tournaments IMO. Not always, but most of the time.

Why he hasn't been as dominant in the NHL is something I cannot say for sure but injured or not, come crunch time Saku is always golden for Finland.

I'd put Mats Sundin and Saku as a top two forwards in recent international competition, with Saku a slight (maybe biased) edge.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
sandels said:
Quoted for the truth.

He has been that since Team Finland built the team around 18 year old Saku and he has pretty much always been the best player out there in internationals tournaments IMO. Not always, but most of the time.

Why he hasn't been as dominant in the NHL is something I cannot say for sure but injured or not, come crunch time Saku is always golden for Finland.

I'd put Mats Sundin and Saku as a top two forwards in recent international competition, with Saku a slight (maybe biased) edge.

Same for the Habs in playoffs.

Golden Slumbers

Dec 26, 2005
Ottawa
He's been a monster in the tournament so far, not to mention that the Finns play a ridiculously airtight system and he's on a line with Lehtinen and Selanne. :eek:

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Marksman2 said:
Koivu certainly gives some extra effort when playing for his country, whenever he puts on Team Finland uniform. But what else you would expect from player receiving this honor? Why is this so hard to see?

I'd expect the same effort in Montreal considering what an honor wearing the team sweater should be and not to mention the $3.5 million salary that comes with it.

Playing for the Montreal Canadiens: $3.42 million
Endorsement deals and advertisements: $50,000
Playing for Team Finland: free
Winning a Gold Medal with Finland: Priceless

I'm sure it would make a great MasterCard commercial :sarcasm:

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
SammyTheBull said:
I'd expect the same effort in Montreal considering what an honor wearing the team sweater should be and not to mention the $3.5 million salary that comes with it.

You gotta patent this. This one could be actually worth quite a bit. Otherwise you'll see it one day on TV and will bite your nails.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
He's a little beast. It doesn't surprise me to see him excel with Finland more than with Montreal... he's only human, he needs support, and he gets it internationally. It annoys me when people question his leadership and effort in Montreal... Steve Yzerman himself couldn't lead these recent Montreal teams to anything substantial. If Gainey can build a winning team, I believe Koivu can be the one lead it.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
The thing I love about Saku is the fact that he is loyal. He is from Turku and his team is TPS. In Finland he always plays for them and no-one else. When he got drafted and got signed for the Habs, he has managed to stay there and this new contract he signed seems to reflect his loyalty. I believe this no trade clause was requested by Saku himself. I don't have any facts about it but it's seems so Saku. He also plays for Team Finland if he is able to, always. He is a loyal leader and a great fighter. He never gives up whether is in the rink or out of the rink. You just gotta love him.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
SammyTheBull said:
Because when they play in the NHL... It is 50% to get money, and 50% because of heart for those who are dedicated to their clubs... On the national team... It's all about the heart, baby!

That's also the reason as to why a world/canada cup couldn't bring the same joy... It's just an exhibition tournament, not the most important hockey tournament there is!

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Korkki said:
IMHO 9 times of ten Satan and Sundin are better. But Saku is pretty much the best we've got.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Noutaja said:
Also you must remember NHL-season is damn long, Koivu´s game is based so much on being fired up that it´s impossible to keep that up for 80 games. Shortly put, he is playoff-player and a international tournament is like playoffs.
that is a very good point, lots of players play such an aggressive style of game that they sometimes have bad stretches during the NHL regular season.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Koivu has been exceptional in the play offs. One would think that Habs fans of all people would appreciate that but apparently a significant portion of us are too preoccupied with if or not he is learning French.

Koivu is a clutch player. Play offs and tournaments are the time to step up and he does. He is a small player and I don't think his head can take giving his all every night. And I don't mean "his all" in the sense that it is widely used in the cliché but rather the real thing. Most players never manage it.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Habsaku said:
I've always been of the opinion he was in the top 5 internationally. With recent events the last 4 years, can you say he's that, or more?

Koivu has been the best center on big ice since he started his career. There is absolutely nobody that can challenge him. And in international games he is just as important as his line mate Selänne.

Only competition is between those two. And they have different roles.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
ryanghg said:
We need him to step it up in MTL

I don't think so. He's doing just fine. As for why he's so good internationaly I agree with the previous statements:

-bigger rinks

- shorter international tournaments allow him to maintain a high intesity level every game and stay healthy, much like in NHL play-offs

- he's a proud captain of his national team and that gives him an extra boost

-he's got skilled and hard working partners that developed great chemistry, wich not always is the case in Montreal

-team Finland as a whole is always a great environment to play with smart coaching and system, high work ethic, chemistry and great atmosphere. This helps to get the very best of their players.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
revolverjgw said:
He's a little beast. It doesn't surprise me to see him excel with Finland more than with Montreal... he's only human, he needs support, and he gets it internationally. It annoys me when people question his leadership and effort in Montreal... Steve Yzerman himself couldn't lead these recent Montreal teams to anything substantial. If Gainey can build a winning team, I believe Koivu can be the one lead it.
So True..

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
mattihp said:
IMHO 9 times of ten Satan and Sundin are better. But Saku is pretty much the best we've got.

Judging by their stats at eurohockey.net, that seems like an overstatement.

Sundin in international tournaments: 78.43+50=93
Satan in international tournaments: 71.36+26=62

Koivu in international tournaments: 75.30+59=89

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
SammyTheBull said:

You get the same effort. You don't always get the same result. A second extra when making a play off the forecheck makes a big difference. He's able to do something before contact is made.
Of course, chalking it up to effort is easier and saves having to think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad