Sakic vs. Yzerman- The Rebuttal

rallymaster19

Sakic vs. Yzerman...

Talking to some people on this forum is like talking to a wall...except the wall probably has a better personality.

I won't delete this post too or else it will delete the entire thread. Continue with the conversation as you like...

Last edited by a moderator:

rallymaster19

Original post by seventieslord:
Seventieslord's Definitive Objective Comparison and Analysis of the careers of Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman

Sakic vs. Yzerman is bound to be a popular debate in the upcoming years. I thought of a multitude of categories to compare Yzerman and Sakic in, and naturally some are more important than others, but I wanted to be as complete as possible. Where applicable, I have accounted for the unfair interference of the generational talents Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. This did affect Yzerman's place in hockey's pecking order, but, make no mistake - it affected Sakic too.

Offense, Regular Season:

Goal-scoring: The only way to fairly judge a player's goal-scoring prowess across history, is to look at where he ranked in the league season to season. Generally I speak the language of top-10 finishes, but since I wanted to be complete, I have extended the study to include all finishes in the top-15. So, here are each players' top-15 finishes in goals:

Yzerman: 2, 2, 3, 6, 6, 6, 11.
Sakic: 2, 5, 6, 6, 10, 15.

I like to eliminate the identical finishes to break down who did better. So, remove a 2 and two 6's from each side and you're left with:

Yzerman: 2, 3, 6, 11.
Sakic: 5, 10, 15.

Safe to say that Yzerman has been a better goal-scorer over time.

If you remove Gretzky and Lemieux from the equation and pretend they never existed, here's where they would have placed:

Yzerman: 2, 2, 2, 5, 5, 6, 11.
Sakic: 2, 4, 6, 6, 10, 14.

Playmaking: Same thing. Top-15 finishes:

Yzerman: 3, 3, 7, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15.
Sakic: 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 11, 12.

Eliminating equal finishes (3, 3, 11), we're left with:

Yzerman: 7, 7, 10, 13, 14, 15.
Sakic: 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12.

Sakic is definitely the superior playmaker.

For fun, let's eliminate the freaks of nature again.

Yzerman: 1, 1, 6, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14.
Sakic: 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, 10, 15.

Yzerman could have led the NHL in assists twice if Gretz and Mario ceased to exist. But even with that, Sakic has him beaten 6-2 in top-5's and 11-6 in top-10's.

Point production:

Yzerman: 3, 3, 4, 7, 7, 10, 13.
Sakic: 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 8, 10, 14.

Eliminating the identicals (3, 4, 10), we're left with:

Yzerman: 3, 7, 7, 13.
Sakic: 2, 2, 5, 5, 6, 6, 8, 14.

Easy edge to Sakic.

Eliminating Gretz and Lemieux:

Yzerman: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 11.
Sakic: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 8, 8, 12.

I haven't done the eliminations at this stage in goals and assists, but let's eliminate the identical 1, 2, 3, and 5.

Yzerman: 6, 10, 11.
Sakic: 4, 5, 5, 5, 8, 8, 12.

You could say Yzerman's 6, 10, 11 could cancel out Sakic's 8, 8, 12, basically meaning Sakic has done everything Yzerman has done, PLUS 4th, 5th, 5th, and 5th place points finishes, even after accounting for Gretzky and Lemieux.

*If you're really perceptive, you might have noticed Sakic was credited with a scoring title with Gretzky and Lemieux eliminated, though he never finished as runner-up to either of them. The reason is Mario Lemieux's 2000-01 comeback. Everyone knows that Mario propelled Jagr to first in the scoring race. Jagr was languishing in mediocrity before Mario came back, and it's widely accepted that Lemieux earned an assist on that Art Ross. No Lemieux = Art Ross for Sakic.

Longevity of regular season offense:

Simple calculation - number of seasons between each player's first and last top-10 finish in goals, assists and points, as well as top-5 finishes.

Yzerman: Top-10 in goals over a span of 6 seasons
Sakic: Top-10 in goals over a span of 14 seasons

Yzerman: Top-10 in assists over a span of 11 seasons
Sakic: Top-10 in assists over a span of 15 seasons

Yzerman: Top-10 in points over a span of 12 seasons
Sakic: Top-10 in points over a span of 17 seasons

Yzerman: Top-5 in goals over a span of 3 seasons
Sakic: Top-5 in goals over a span of 6 seasons

Yzerman: Top-5 in assists over a span of 9 seasons
Sakic: Top-5 in assists over a span of 10 seasons

Yzerman: Top-5 in points over a span of 5 seasons
Sakic: Top-5 in points over a span of 10 seasons

Sakic's span is greater than Yzerman's in all six comparisons.

Offense, Playoffs

There will be no elimination of Gretzky and Lemieux for two reasons: 1) their effect on these two players' playoff rankings are fairly minimal, and 2) You have to advance to place high in the playoff rankings, and Gretzky and Lemieux are no longer individuals once the playoffs begin - it's still up to their teams to advance far enough for them to make the leaderboard.

Goal-scoring:

As usual, top-15 finishes:

Yzerman: 4, 8, 12, 12, 12.
Sakic: 1, 1, 2, 8, 10, 10, 12.

For lack of a better term, Sakic PWNS yzerman in this category. After eliminating 4, 8, and 12 from each side, we're left with:

Yzerman: 12, 12.
Sakic: 1, 1, 2, 10, 10.

Sakic is a FAR more accomplished playoff goal-scorer, completely turning the tables on the regular season gap, and then some.

Playmaking:

Yzerman: 1, 2, 7, 8, 15.
Sakic: 1, 2, 3, 4, 8.

Again, another clear victory for Sakic, because as you can see, after eliminating 1, 2, and 8:

Yzerman: 7, 15.
Sakic: 3, 4.

Point Production:

Yzerman: 1, 2, 6, 12, 12, 13.
Sakic: 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 14.

Another clear victory for Sakic. After eliminating 1 and 2:

Yzerman: 6, 12, 12, 13.
Sakic: 1, 3, 4, 14.

Leading team in playoff goals or points:

You can't advance every single season. To be as fair as possible, I counted the number of times each player led (or tied for the lead) in playoff goals or points on their team.

Yzerman led his team in playoff goals 7 times, and points 9 times.
Sakic led his team in playoff goals 7 times, and points 8 times.

In other words, Yzerman did it one more time, but his total is inflated by two seasons (1984 and 1985) in which he led the Wings in both goals and points in 3 and 4-game preliminary round losses. Given that, I'm calling this even.

Conclusion: Sakic's playoff offense has beaten that of Yzerman at every turn.

Career Per-Game Averages, Regular Season and Playoffs:

Normally I don't bother with stuff like this, but these two players are similar in style and played careers that overlapped by 17 seasons.

Regular season GPG, APG, PPG:

Yzerman: .46 .70 1.16
Sakic: .45 .74 1.19

Sakic has Yzerman beaten in points and assists, and is right with him in goals. However, there is more to it than that. The years in which their careers did not overlap show an even greater difference. Yzerman played 5 seasons in the wide-open 1980's before Sakic arrived. NHL goal scoring was at 3.79 GPG during these 5 years. In the three seasons (including this year) that Sakic has played in an Yzerman-less NHL, goal scoring has been at 2.79 GPG. Sakic is clearly at a disadvantage because of eras, but still comes out on top.

Playoff GPG, APG, PPG:

Yzerman: .36 .58 .94
Sakic: .49 .60 1.09

Sakic has Yzerman beaten in all three categories in the playoffs. This is an extremely decisive edge too, when you consider that Sakic played his first playoff game in 1993 when the wide-open era was coming to an end. By this time Yzerman had played in 50 playoff games, scoring 55 points from 1984-1992. He scored 130 in his final 146 playoff games (0.89), while Sakic scored 178 in 162 games during that same time (1.10).

Easy edge to Sakic, before you consider disrepancies due to era.

Clutch play:

For obvious reasons, only individual playoff achievements should count here. For simplicity, all I can really do is look at GWG and OTG.

- Yzerman has 12 career playoff GWG in 196 GP. (.06/GP)
- Sakic has 19 career playoff GWG in 172 GP. (.11/GP)

In other words, Sakic has been nearly twice as likely to score the game winner in his playoff games. Sakic is 4th all-time in playoff GWG.

- Yzerman has 1 career playoff OT goal.
- Sakic has 8 career playoff OT goals, which is two more than anyone else has in NHL history.

Easy edge to Sakic.

Clean Play:

Both these guys play a clean, hard game. The fewer penalties you take, the more often you can be on the ice helping your team and the less often your team has to kill a penalty.

Yzerman: .61 PIM/GP.
Sakic: .45 PIM/GP.

That works out to 50 and 37 PIM per 82 games. It's not a huge difference, but this means that in an average season, Detroit had to kill 6-7 more Yzerman penalties than Quebec/Colorado had to to for Sakic.

Edge to Sakic, though I admit it is small.

Durability:

I calculated durability in three ways: Percentage of games missed, percentage of games missed in 12 prime years, and percentage of playoff games missed.

% of games missed in career:

Yzerman: 13.8%
Sakic: 10.8%

% of games missed in 12 prime years (age 21 through 32)

Yzerman: 6%
Sakic: 9%

% of playoff games missed in career:

Yzerman: 13.7% (31 games)
Sakic 1.7% (3 games)

Sakic takes two of three categories, including the most important one.

Awards:

Looking simply at who won what and who didn't, is too simplistic. Since we have access to all old voting records for awards, we can take a look at how these guys did over the years. I'll go over the three awards most pertinent to these two players: The Hart Trophy as league MVP, The Selke Trophy as the top defensive forward, and the postseason All-Star Team position at Centre.

Both players have a well-deserved Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP, and a Lester Pearson award as the players' MVP. They all cancel eachother out. Since voting records are not available for these awards, we will never know who was a runner-up or finalist for these awards and how many times. So the discussion about these awards ends here.

Hart:

Here are each players' Hart Trophy voting record:

Yzerman: 3, 4, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 13.
Sakic: 1, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8, 14, 14, 15.

Quite close. Sakic is the only one to have won the award. Eliminating identical finishes 7, 7, 7, 8, you're left with:

Yzerman: 3, 4, 8, 13.
Sakic: 1, 7, 14, 14, 15.

Amazingly close. But Yzerman's prime was blocked by the primes of the freaks. Eliminate Gretzky and Lemieux and you've got:

Yzerman: 1, 2, 5, 6, 6, 7, 8, 13.
Sakic: 1, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 13, 14, 15.

Eliminate identical finishes 1, 6, 6, 7, 8, 13, and you're left with:

Yzerman: 2, 5.
Sakic: 7, 14, 15.

Two high finishes versus three moderate finishes. A very tight race, to be sure. I'd give a slight edge to Yzerman, though.

Selke:

Yzerman: 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 11.
Sakic: 2, 9, 10, 13, 15, 15.

I'm not going to eliminate identicals here becauase then we'd be just eliminating a 9. Both guys have six top-15 finishes, but Yzerman has five top-10s to Sakic's three, and four top-5's to Sakic's 1. Plus he won the Selke and Sakic didn't. Definite edge in Selke voting goes to Yzerman.

All-Star team: A 1 or a 2 means he was actually voted to the 1st or 2nd all-star team, a 3-10 means he earned votes but was not top-2.

Yzerman: 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 10.
Sakic: 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 6, 7.

Eliminate the 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, and 6, and you're left with:

Yzerman: 5, 6, 10.
Sakic: 1, 1, 4, 4, 7.

Looks to be an easy edge for Yzerman. Two more top-15s, Three more top-10s, and three more top-5s, plus three berths on the first team. But, remember there were healthy freaks back then and we must consider that. Eliminating The Great one and Le Magnifique:

Yzerman: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9.
Sakic: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6.

After eliminating identicals again, (1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), we have:

Yzerman: 2, 9.
Sakic: 1, 3, 4, 4.

Sakic has a clear edge on Yzerman in All-Star team voting even after completely eliminating the Gretzky/Lemieux effect.

Team Success:

We can't hold them entirely responsible for their team's failures or completely anoint them their team's sole reason for victory. But, it's clear that these two greats had a lot to do with their teams' successes over the years. Early in their careers, they were not the captain of their team and I think it's only fair that we limit this to seasons after they became captains. A captain should be able to provide the leadership to prevent them from losing a series they should win, and of course getting them through a series that they had no business winning would be nice too. A "better" team is one that had 10+ points more than Sakic/Yzerman's team, a "worse" team is one that had 10+ points less. All other teams are "even" teams.

Yzerman's playoff series W/L record

vs. Better Teams: 1-3 (.250)
vs. Even Teams: 6-3 (.667)
vs. Worse Teams: 18-9 (.667) - Failures in 89, 94, 95, 96, 00, 01, 03, 04, 06.
Total: 26-15 (.634)

Sakic's playoff series W/L record

vs. Better Teams: 3-3 (.500)
vs. Even Teams: 7-4 (.636)
vs. Worse Teams: 9-4 (.692) - Failures in 95, 97, 98, 03.
Total: 19-11 (.633)

Very, very similar. What I see a difference in, is that Sakic has been able to lift his team to victory three times over teams Colorado shouldn't have beaten, while Yzerman could only do this once. Yzerman's wings also choked against an inferior team 9 times while Sakic's Nords/Avs choked just 4 times.

Head To Head:

What about head to head matchups between these players? Detroit and Colorado met five times in the playoffs - 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, and 2002. Colorado won 3 of these 5 matchups, and 17 of the 30 games. In addition, Detroit's regular season point differential versus Colorado in these five seasons was +27, -13, -8, +12, and +17, for an average of +8. Detroit was favoured to win more often, but won less often. For winning more often when being expected to win less often, Sakic gets the edge.

Cups/Finals appearances:

Let's not forget two other simple things, though - Yzerman has been to the finals two more times than Sakic, and won the cup one more time than Sakic.

Playing on Poor Teams:

Both players played on good teams for the majority of their careers. However, for short portions of ther careers, mostly at the beginning, Sakic and Yzerman had the misfortune of playing on some bad squads. Each played four seasons where their team had 70 points or less. For Sakic, it was his first four seasons. For Yzerman, it was his first three seasons and 1990. Sakic's Nordiques' point totals were 61, 31, 46, and 52. Yzerman's wings had 69, 66, 40, and 70.

During these periods of futility, both players were their team's main bright spot. Who shone more while languishing on a bad team?

Yzerman:
1984: Did not place top-15 in anything.
1985: 13th in assists.
1986: Did not place top-15 in anything. (was injured for 29 games but his per-game averages wouldn't have put him near the leaderboard either way)
1990: 2nd in goals, 10th in assists, 3rd in points.

Sakic:
1989: Did not place top-15 in anything.
1990: 12th in assists, 10th in points.
1991: 6th in goals, 11th in assists, 6th in points.
1992: 9th in assists, 14th in points despite missing 11 games.

Conclusion: Sakic had 7 top-15 finishes in the three categories during his team's four worst years. Yzerman had 4. Sakic's Nordiques averaged 49 points in these seasons - Yzerman's wings averaged 61. Sakic clearly did better while on worse teams.

International Play:

Don't forget international play. Half the games are elimination games, and every player on the ice is highly skilled. Let's look at their individual and team successes.

Non-Best on Best:

Individual:

Yzerman: 44 Pts in 35 games in 4 tournaments. Top Forward and 1st All-Star Team of 1990 World Championships.
Sakic: 22 Pts in 25 games in 3 tournaments. No individual accolades.

Team:

Yzerman: WJC Bronze (1983), World Championship Bronze, Bronze, Gold (1985, 1989, 1990)
Sakic: World Championship Bronze, Gold (1991, 1994)

Best-On-Best:

Individual:

Yzerman: 11 Pts in 22 games in 4 tournaments. No individual accolades.
Sakic: 23 points in 30 games in 5 tournaments. Top forward and 1st All-Star Team of 2002 Olympics.

Team:

Yzerman: 1997 World Cup Silver, 2002 Olympic Gold.
Sakic: 1997 World Cup Silver, 2002 Olympic Gold, 2004 World Cup Gold.

Summary: Yzerman appears better in the small tournaments - He played in one more tournament, had more games, more points, more points per game, an individual accolade, and four medals to Sakic's two. Sakic, likewise, has the edge in best-on-best games. More tournaments, more games, more points, more points per game, was the Olympic MVP, and has one more team title than Yzerman. Given that the best-on-best tournaments are, oh, I'd say, about 10 times as important as the other tournaments, I have to give Sakic the edge here.

Intangibles:

Basically, don't give me this nonsense. Intangibles aren't nonsense; they're real. But show me a quote about Joe Sakic's intestinal fortitude, winning attitude, desire, heart, will to win, team-first philosophy, and I can find a quote about Yzerman that says the same thing. Like the Smythe and Pearson, they cancel eachother out. Trying to claim one is better than the other in this area is about as effective as peeing up a rope.

Summary:

Regular season Goal-scoring: Advantage: Yzerman.
Regular season Playmaking: Advantage: Sakic.
Regular season Point Production: Advantage: Sakic.
Longevity of regular season offense: Advantage: Sakic.
Playoff goal-scoring: Advantage: Sakic.
Playoff playmaking: Advantage: Sakic.
Playoff point production: Advantage: Sakic.
Leading team in playoff goals/points: Even.
Career regular season per-game averages: Advantage: Sakic.
Career playoff per-game averages: Advantage: Sakic.
Clutch play: Advantage: Sakic.
Clean Play: Advantage: Sakic.
Durability: Advantage: Sakic.
Hart Record: Advantage: Yzerman.
Selke Record: Advantage: Yzerman.
All-Star Team Record: Advantage: Sakic.
Total Playoff series W/L record: Even.
Pulling off playoff upsets: Advantage: Sakic.
Not being upset by inferior teams: Advantage: Sakic
Head to head matchups: Advantage: Sakic
Cups and Finals appearances: Advantage: Yzerman
International Play: Advantage: Sakic.
Intangibles: Even.

Sakic's decisive wins:
Clutch play
Regular season point production
Regular season playmaking
Longevity of regular season offense
Playoff goal-scoring
Playoff playmaking
Playoff point production
Career playoff per-game averages
All-Star Team Record
Head to head matchups
Playing on poor teams

Sakic's narrow wins:
Clean Play
Durability
International Play
Career regular season per-game averages
Pulling off playoff upsets
Not being upset by inferior teams

Draws:
Leading team in playoff goals/points
Intangibles
Total Playoff series W/L record

Yzerman's narrow wins:
Regular season Goal-scoring
Hart Record
Cups and finals appearances

Yzerman's decisive win:
Selke record

Conclusion:

Joe Sakic has had a career that is slightly yet decidedly and clearly better than that of Steve Yzerman. He scored wins in 17 of the 24 categories analyzed (11 decisively), while Yzerman won four categories, one decisively. Three categories were declared draws. keep in mind that some categories are much more important than others; however, Sakic wins most of the most important ones.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
For some reason I am only able to see the Pts/G comparisons in the attached image. I cannot view the goals or assists analysis. Is anyone else having this problem?

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
A point to consider is 94-02 for Sakic was later on in his career comparatively to Yzerman at 86-94.

Sakic had already played in the NHL since 88-89. Yzerman had his first season in 83-84. Yzermans prime begins after he had 2 full seasons under his belt, Sakics after he had 5.

For each of the 8 year periods you listed, both players missed significant time in 3 of those seasons (10+ games) so I dont think injuries are skewing the perception at all. However, for Sakic you're missing four of his hundred point seasons while for Yzerman you're hitting every single one. Sakic is so high up on the career numbers category and in his place in history because his offensive game lasted for so long. You could arguably go from 89-07 as his offensive prime.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Someone should just merge this thread with my original one, that way this becomes a part of that discussion, which is what it really is.

I just read yours and I read mine again. I'm biased, but I gotta say I'm much more convinced by what I wrote.

I'm sure I'll be back at some point during my travels to address this, but in the meantime, A couple notes:

- Yzerman had better competion? You just summed up the actual HHOFers, surefire HHOFers and potential HHOFers for each period. The total is 13-12. Two of those for the Yzerman period are the Freaks, Mario and Wayne, who were already removed for the benefit of the analysis of both players, particularly Yzerman. Any discussion regarding dominance on the HOH board should also be pertaining to a player's dominance of his own peers. I see no reason to believe Sakic's pool of competition was discernably worse after Wayne and Mario are removed from Yzerman's.

- Yzerman had Fedorov. You don't think that helped as much as having Forsberg helped Sakic? Same value as players. Forsberg was better but was injured more often; it washes out to the same delivered value. Both huge in the playoffs. Both provided a secondary option.

- Linemates: I'm pretty sure Yzerman and Sakic both fall into the category of "players who got the points no matter who was on their line" that Dark Shadows loves to talk about. I'll leave that one to him. Both players had four years on bad teams. Bad team Sakic outperformed bad team Yzerman.

- Jagr would have finished ahead of Yzerman too, so what is the point of pointing out Sakic was only 2nd in points during his prime?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
For some reason I am only able to see the Pts/G comparisons in the attached image. I cannot view the goals or assists analysis. Is anyone else having this problem?

Yeah, I think he just forgot to attach the pictures.

He should probably just post a link to a hockey-reference.com powerplay search. It would be easier.

A point to consider is 94-02 for Sakic was later on in his career comparatively to Yzerman at 86-94.

Sakic had already played in the NHL since 88-89. Yzerman had his first season in 83-84. Yzermans prime begins after he had 2 full seasons under his belt, Sakics after he had 5.

For each of the 8 year periods you listed, both players missed significant time in 3 of those seasons (10+ games) so I dont think injuries are skewing the perception at all. However, for Sakic you're missing four of his hundred point seasons while for Yzerman you're hitting every single one. Sakic is so high up on the career numbers category and in his place in history because his offensive game lasted for so long. You could arguably go from 89-07 as his offensive prime.

Very good point.

Sakic FTW.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
5) International Experience
(Win: Draw)

Both players have answered the call when asked to play for Team Canada. Early in his career, Yzerman made significant contributions playing in the world juniors, world championships and Canada Cup. He also played in the World Cup in 96 and Olympics in 98 and 02. Sakic also played in the world juniors, world championships, World Cups and Olympics three times. Though Sakic is often heralded as the hero in the Olympics in ’02, it was Yzerman who played on the first line with Lemieux and Kariya and scored a crucial goal against Finland to help Canada in the knockoff stage of the tournament. In the end, Sakic scored 7 points and Yzerman 6 points. They were both great that tournament. When taking into factor age in tournament appearances, they were both great, about equal.

That's really laughable that you would call this even. Sakic was selected to play more often, played more games, played bigger roles, and scored 109% more points in 36% more games, for 53% more points per game in best-on-best tournaments. Yzerman's edge in other tournaments is similar to Sakic's edge in BOB, but the BOB tourneys are far more important.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

I agree with the last part of this. If you're only going to give Sakic those 8 years then how could his non-prime offense only be a win by slight margin?

I also do not agree with the International section...

The arguments for Sakic are he plays for his country more times in best on bests, has a PPG average .27 higher than Yzerman, and gets named Tournament MVP in Canada's Gold Medal Olympics.

This is called a draw because Yzerman "played well" also, and in 02' he played wing on the first line with Lemieux and scored a crucial goal???

rallymaster19

I don't know why the attached charts aren't appearing. I took a lot of time inserting several web queries from hockeyreference to Excel, transferring them to Word, and then finally as a JPG image after I found out I couldn't just copy or insert the chart here. Anyway, here it is; I know it looks significantly more confusing when comparing...my apologies.

GOALS:

1986-94
Rk Player GP G G/G G/G Rank
1 Brett Hull 540 413 0.76 2
2 Mario Lemieux 447 403 0.90 1
3 Luc Robitaille 640 392 0.61 6
4 Steve Yzerman 604 386 0.64 4
5 Mike Gartner 626 335 0.54 10
6 Pat LaFontaine 540 329 0.61 5
7 Wayne Gretzky 572 322 0.56 7
8 Dave Andreychuk 612 307 0.50 14
9 Dino Ciccarelli 583 306 0.52 12
10 Joe Mullen 596 304 0.51 13
11 Joe Nieuwendyk 531 293 0.55 8
12 Pat Verbeek 628 292 0.46 26
13 Cam Neely 434 291 0.67 3
14 Brian Bellows 601 282 0.47 18
15 Stephane Richer 579 280 0.48 17

1994-02
Rk Player GP G G/G G/G Rank
1 Jaromir Jagr 564 345 0.61 1
2 Peter Bondra 554 320 0.58 3
3 Teemu Selanne 584 307 0.53 7
4 Keith Tkachuk 541 295 0.55 5
5 John LeClair 548 293 0.53 6
6 Brendan Shanahan 595 279 0.47 12
7 Paul Kariya 524 275 0.52 8
8 Joe Sakic 555 268 0.48 10
9 Tony Amonte 620 267 0.43 16
10 Brett Hull 561 266 0.47 11
11 Ziggy Palffy 526 265 0.5 9
12 Pavel Bure 439 264 0.6 2
13 Mats Sundin 606 262 0.43 17
14 Mike Modano 553 243 0.44 14
15 Eric Lindros 432 242 0.56 4

ASSISTS:

1986-94
Rk Player GP A A/G A/G Rank
1 Wayne Gretzky 572 799 1.4 1
2 Mario Lemieux 447 567 1.27 2
3 Adam Oates 590 559 0.95 3
4 Doug Gilmour 624 540 0.87 6
5 Mark Messier 588 537 0.91 5
6 Paul Coffey 560 524 0.94 4
7 Steve Yzerman 604 518 0.86 8
8 Raymond Bourque 598 511 0.85 9
9 Dale Hawerchuk 633 504 0.8 10
10 Ron Francis 621 469 0.76 13
11 Al MacInnis 592 463 0.78 12
12 Larry Murphy 633 413 0.65 23
13 Luc Robitaille 640 411 0.64 25
14 Bernie Nicholls 554 398 0.72 16
15 Phil Housley 562 397 0.71 17

1994-02
Rk Player GP A A/G A/G Rank
1 Jaromir Jagr 564 494 0.88 2
2 Adam Oates 582 457 0.79 3
3 Ron Francis 605 446 0.74 5
4 Joe Sakic 555 425 0.77 4
5 Peter Forsberg 466 411 0.88 1
6 Doug Weight 552 398 0.72 7
7 Mark Recchi 597 362 0.61 12
8 Teemu Selanne 584 362 0.62 10
9 Brian Leetch 584 357 0.61 11
10 Theoren Fleury 589 353 0.6 13
11 Nicklas Lidstrom 605 352 0.58 19
12 Steve Yzerman 547 351 0.64 9
13 Mats Sundin 606 346 0.57 23
14 Pierre Turgeon 531 344 0.65 8
15 Vincent Damphousse 572 335 0.59 16

1986-94
Rk Player GP PTS PTS/G PTS/G Rank
1 Wayne Gretzky 572 1121 1.96 2
2 Mario Lemieux 447 970 2.17 1
3 Steve Yzerman 604 904 1.5 3
4 Luc Robitaille 640 803 1.25 8
5 Mark Messier 588 787 1.34 4
6 Doug Gilmour 624 773 1.24 9
7 Dale Hawerchuk 633 767 1.21 13
8 Adam Oates 590 749 1.27 7
9 Brett Hull 540 700 1.3 5
10 Pat LaFontaine 540 699 1.29 6
11 Ron Francis 621 680 1.1 22
12 Paul Coffey 560 676 1.21 12
13 Ray Bourque 598 669 1.12 21
14 Steve Larmer 632 655 1.04 30
15 Bernie Nicholls 554 649 1.17 14

1994-02
Rk Player GP PTS PTS/G PTS/G Rank
1 Jaromir Jagr 564 839 1.49 1
2 Joe Sakic 555 693 1.25 3
3 Teemu Selanne 584 669 1.15 5
4 Ron Francis 605 622 1.03 12
5 Mats Sundin 606 608 1 16
6 Theoren Fleury 589 593 1.01 14
7 Paul Kariya 524 588 1.12 6
8 Adam Oates 582 588 1.01 15
9 Peter Forsberg 466 580 1.24 4
10 Mike Modano 553 575 1.04 10
11 Keith Tkachuk 541 566 1.05 8
12 John LeClair 548 565 1.03 13
13 Mark Recchi 597 565 0.95 23
14 Eric Lindros 432 560 1.3 2
15 Pierre Turgeon 531 556 1.05 9

rallymaster19

Someone should just merge this thread with my original one, that way this becomes a part of that discussion, which is what it really is.

I just read yours and I read mine again. I'm biased, but I gotta say I'm much more convinced by what I wrote.

I'm sure I'll be back at some point during my travels to address this, but in the meantime, A couple notes:

- Yzerman had better competion? You just summed up the actual HHOFers, surefire HHOFers and potential HHOFers for each period. The total is 13-12. Two of those for the Yzerman period are the Freaks, Mario and Wayne, who were already removed for the benefit of the analysis of both players, particularly Yzerman. Any discussion regarding dominance on the HOH board should also be pertaining to a player's dominance of his own peers. I see no reason to believe Sakic's pool of competition was discernably worse after Wayne and Mario are removed from Yzerman's.

- Yzerman had Fedorov. You don't think that helped as much as having Forsberg helped Sakic? Same value as players. Forsberg was better but was injured more often; it washes out to the same delivered value. Both huge in the playoffs. Both provided a secondary option.

- Linemates: I'm pretty sure Yzerman and Sakic both fall into the category of "players who got the points no matter who was on their line" that Dark Shadows loves to talk about. I'll leave that one to him. Both players had four years on bad teams. Bad team Sakic outperformed bad team Yzerman.

- Jagr would have finished ahead of Yzerman too, so what is the point of pointing out Sakic was only 2nd in points during his prime?

If you think the caliber of the best forwards post-95 were the same pre-95 even with Gretzky/Lemiuex taken out, then I think that's something we just won't agree on.

Fedorov wasn't thought of as an elite forward in the game until he won his Hart in '94. You could argue he was a noteable presence on the ice from '91 onwards when he came into the league, but he certainly wasn't in Forsberg's league at that age.

I don't subscribe to the linemates theory myself. I think it does make a very real impact on player stats.

For a moment, if you dismiss whether Jagr would have finished ahead of Yzerman too in that time, you could see how this argument right here suggests the inaccuracies of looking at just a season by season basis relatively. For instance, you're saying Jagr is better than Yzerman and if they had played at the same time, Jagr would have better numbers. With the same idea, if Sakic played against Messier, Hawerchuk, Savard and Stastny, I'm not so sure Sakic's season-end rankings would be so high relative to the rest of the league. This again goes back to the differences in talent of the two eras; something I feel you are underestimating.

As for internationally, if you're only talking about the world class tournaments, outside of a Canada Cup he played as a 19-yr old, the World Cup and two Olympics came when Yzerman was in his 30s. Sakic played well in international tournaments too but the difference isn't large at all. I mean it's not Yzerman's fault Crawford chose a defenseman over him and Gretzky in a shootout. He played his role and did so effectively each tournament.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
As for internationally, if you're only talking about the world class tournaments, outside of a Canada Cup he played as a 19-yr old, the World Cup and two Olympics came when Yzerman was in his 30s. Sakic played well in international tournaments too but the difference isn't large at all. I mean it's not Yzerman's fault Crawford chose a defenseman over him and Gretzky in a shootout. He played his role and did so effectively each tournament.

Sakic also had a World Cup and 2 Olympics in his 30's... He was 32, 34, and 36 in his last 3 best on best tournaments

02': 7pts in 6 games (1st on Team)
04': 6pts in 6 games (2nd on Team)
06': 3pts in 5 games (tied for 2nd on Team)

You say Yzerman "played his role and did so effectively each tournament." No argument there, but that's not enough to equal what Sakic has done.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
1) Regular Season, Offense- Prime
(Win: Yzerman)

In my opinion, the biggest flaw in seventieslord’s analysis is the failure to take into consideration the differences in the quality of forwards in the NHL when attempting to create a relative comparison based on end-of-season rankings of goals, assists and points. Furthermore, just like the quality of the best defensemen were a lot higher in the 70s/80s than they are today, the quality of forwards were a lot better during the late 80/early 90s than the mid-to-late 90s to early 2000s. To demonstrate this critical point, the top 15 scorers for each of the players’ 8-year offensive peak are compared for Yzerman (1986-94) and Sakic (1994-2002). Note the per game rankings are only applicable to skaters having played a minimum of 400 games in the time span indicated.

I think your concept of the 8 year peak is flawed in that supposes each player had a definitive peak and then a leveling off. Steve Yzerman certainly did before he turned into a great two way player, but the beauty of Joe Sakic's career is that it was virtually all peak. How wonderful is it to build a team around a center who gives you 100 points in his sophmore year, and then 17 years later, he's still giving you 100 points? Yzerman also had to transform his game in order to be a champion. Sakic's playoff growing pains were also much less painful than Yzerman's and he combined high octane production with championships earlier in his career.

I also don't think it makes sense to suggest that Yzerman's offensive production is more impressive because he played against higher quality forwards, as if Dale Hawerchuk were some sort of great obstacle in the way of Yzerman putting big numbers on the board. What about the fact that goaltending was much better in the 1990s and Sakic had to face some pretty high profile goalies while Yzerman did not in the late 80s?

Before the analysis is presented however, other considerations that are not reflected in the data but should be mentioned include the linemates and defensemen Yzerman had to work with were far inferior to what Sakic had with all-star packed Avs teams. Sakic also benefited from having a secondary scoring option on his team on a line centered by Forsberg, who himself was arguably better than Sakic during said time. Opponents focusing primarily on Yzerman, while split almost evenly between Sakic and Forsberg is not accounted for in any of the analysis and only provides further support of Yzerman being the better overall player.

Even in his prime offensive years Yzerman had the benefit of players like Adam Oates, Sergei Fedorov, Nicklas Lidstrom, Ray Sheppard, Dino Ciccarelli, Paul Coffey. Sakic also produced 100 points apiece on two teams that were dead last in the NHL.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I agree with the last part of this. If you're only going to give Sakic those 8 years then how could his non-prime offense only be a win by slight margin?

I also do not agree with the International section...

The arguments for Sakic are he plays for his country more times in best on bests, has a PPG average .27 higher than Yzerman, and gets named Tournament MVP in Canada's Gold Medal Olympics.

This is called a draw because Yzerman "played well" also, and in 02' he played wing on the first line with Lemieux and scored a crucial goal???

Just calculated Sakic's non-prime excluding those 8 years and his PPG is about 1.15. Something like 860 points in 740 games. Essentially a 95 point pace. Of course raw numbers arent really a good indication but I believe included in his non prime are 3 years in the top 10 in scoring, 2003-04 he was tied for second. Not sure how Yzermans non-prime works out.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
One issue is that you're assuming that a player's prime has to be eight consecutive years. Sakic was unique because his prime was so long. If we look at Sakic's eight best years, he's virtually even with Jagr, and the two of them are far ahead of everyone else.

Player|Games|Points|PPG
Jaromir Jagr | 600 | 773 | 1.29
Joe Sakic | 609 | 771 | 1.27
Mats Sundin | 605 | 577 | 0.95
Mark Recchi | 593 | 576 | 0.97
Sergei Fedorov | 583 | 543 | 0.93
Brett Hull | 498 | 532 | 1.07
Teemu Selanne | 514 | 515 | 1
Brendan Shanahan | 585 | 509 | 0.87
Mike Modano | 558 | 503 | 0.9
Keith Tkachuk | 495 | 500 | 1.01
Ron Francis | 526 | 499 | 0.95
Adam Oates | 459 | 492 | 1.07
Theoren Fleury | 425 | 488 | 1.15
Jeremy Roenick | 543 | 485 | 0.89
Paul Kariya | 492 | 484 | 0.98

Data is for 1991, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I've been through this many times with many folks, no need for me to rehash the old arguments.

Count me among the side that would take Yzerman.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Even in his prime offensive years Yzerman had the benefit of players like Adam Oates, Sergei Fedorov, Nicklas Lidstrom, Ray Sheppard, Dino Ciccarelli, Paul Coffey. Sakic also produced 100 points apiece on two teams that were dead last in the NHL.

Ohh did he? 3 of Yzerman's top offensive seasons were 88, 89, and 90, the next best player on his team was Gerard Gallant, not Oates, in fact Oates was not very effective until he left Detroit, so nice try there.

The same crap can be used for Mr.Sakic, his best offensive seasons were 96 and 01, and guess what, one of the best playmakers of all time happened to be on his team.

JSF1921

Nov 8, 2006
Agreed with most of the posts in this thread. Well done everyone.

Also, I've said this before and I'll say it again, any player comparison that attempts to level the playing field by removing Lemieux and Gretzky is instantly flawed if it fails to remove Jagr from the equation as well. No, 68 wasn't as dominant as 66 and 99, but he was still offensively head and shoulders above every other player in the last 30 years.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
One issue is that you're assuming that a player's prime has to be eight consecutive years. Sakic was unique because his prime was so long. If we look at Sakic's eight best years, he's virtually even with Jagr, and the two of them are far ahead of everyone else.

Player|Games|Points|PPG
Jaromir Jagr | 600 | 773 | 1.29
Joe Sakic | 609 | 771 | 1.27
Mats Sundin | 605 | 577 | 0.95
Mark Recchi | 593 | 576 | 0.97
Sergei Fedorov | 583 | 543 | 0.93
Brett Hull | 498 | 532 | 1.07
Teemu Selanne | 514 | 515 | 1
Brendan Shanahan | 585 | 509 | 0.87
Mike Modano | 558 | 503 | 0.9
Keith Tkachuk | 495 | 500 | 1.01
Ron Francis | 526 | 499 | 0.95
Adam Oates | 459 | 492 | 1.07
Theoren Fleury | 425 | 488 | 1.15
Jeremy Roenick | 543 | 485 | 0.89
Paul Kariya | 492 | 484 | 0.98

Data is for 1991, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007.

You mean virtually even with Jagr over the same years, right? Because those years you are leaving out (92-94, 97-98, 2000, 05-06) were kinda big ones for Jagr; he had over 900 pts in his best 8 seasons, not 770-some.

Doing the same for Yzerman gives 917 pts in 626 games. Interesting difference being that 7 of Yzerman's best production years were consecutive, and the 8th only separated by major injury and then the first lockout. Stopping after 7 ('86/87-'92/93) gives 822 in 546, 3rd to Gretzky/Lemieux, more than 100 pts more than Robitaille or Messier... and Gallant was the second highest scorer on the Wings for around 4, 5 of those seasons (until Fedorov's rookie year in '90/91), and Coffey wasn't even on the Wings until after that period. That all has to count for a lot.

See above. I think those guys played quite little with Detroit during Yzerman's "prime years". Oates - first 3 years, Fedorov - last 3, Lidstrom last 2, Sheppard - last 2, Ciccarelli - last 1, Paul Coffey - part of the last season. The longest of those, Oates and Fedorov, obviously didn't even play with him, and in fact occupied spots on lines below Yzerman, so it was Yzerman distracting other teams' top checkers from THEM. Only Oates (with his 78 pts) was there when Stevie put up 155, and none of the players you listed were on the team when Yzerman had 127 pts in 79 games, btw.

Last edited:

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Sakic had better durability and better playoff success. Its funny how people just want to find ways to rank the older player higher than the one who was more recent. Same thing in football, peyton manning will eventually surpass Brett Favre but you will have older fans try to dismiss it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
if Sakic played against Messier, Hawerchuk, Savard and Stastny, I'm not so sure Sakic's season-end rankings would be so high relative to the rest of the league. This again goes back to the differences in talent of the two eras; something I feel you are underestimating.

with regard to era, saying that yzerman competed against hawerchuk, savard, and stastny is misleading.

yzerman's first 100 point year was '87-'88, when he finished 12th in scoring. that was hawerchuk, savard, and stastny's last big years. none of them scored 100 points again after that year, while yzerman would begin his run of 5 straight top 10 seasons in '88-'89. the years those guys were scoring 130 points, yzerman was young and still scoring 90. in the sense that sakic didn't play against those guys, neither did yzerman.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Below are the top 5 AST vote getters at the Centre position from 86/87-06/07:

1991: Gretzky, Oates, Sakic, Yzerman, Roenick

this really illustrates just how good sakic was from the very beginning, and how unfair it is to his career to limit his prime to '94 and after.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
4) Defense, Regular season & Playoffs
(Win: Yzerman)

As evidenced by the Selke finishes, coupled with the fact that both received consideration for the award at roughly the same period, Yzerman was clearly seen as the better defensive player. During the first half of their careers’, neither player was close to the great two-way forwards as they are regarded today. Sakic, particularly had trouble in this aspect of the game when he first came into the NHL. His teammates however, were not very good either and with the talented forwards on the Nordiques, there was certainly an emphasis on taking chances in the offensive zone. Yzerman was much better defensively early on compared to Sakic. He was a very versatile player, called upon in a wide array of circumstances. He played major minutes killing penalties and would be on the ice protecting a one-goal lead in the final minute of the third period. During the second half of their careers, as great and reliable as Sakic was in his own zone, Yzerman was simply much better. He would block shots, was still part of the top PK unit, won important faceoffs and was an effective forechecker.

Yzerman was clearly better defensively during the regular season and playoffs.
This will always be a case that is argued.

Sakic was not good defensively for the first few years of his career, but was not terrible either. He then became very good in that regard early on by his early 20's and remained so for the rest of his career without losing his high end offense in the process. Much earlier than Yzerman did, although not reaching the peaks Yzerman did when Yzerman, like Scott Stevens, gave up a good chunk of his offense to gain that defense.

Its revisionist history to portray Yzerman was a complete player early in his career when he really was not.

Yzerman was not good defensively before Bowman arrived, merely not bad, and had to lose a good bulk of his offense to become that good defensively. Whether or not you want to believe it or not, or want to revise History, even Jimmy Devellano from the Wings staff spoke up about it at a SIHR meeting.

For what it's worth.

I attended a SIHR meeting with Jimmy Devellano as the guest speaker last night.

He told the assembled members that he doesn't put much stock in Yzerman's big point year's. He used the term inflated. He stated that the main goal of the team then was selling tickets and that Yzerman was encouraged to put up big numbers to garner attention and to not worry about backchecking.

In time that changed, but according to Devellano, Yzerman did not become a complete player until Bowman arrived, and that even then it was a tough, and somewhat acrimonius process.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Sakic had better durability and better playoff success. Its funny how people just want to find ways to rank the older player higher than the one who was more recent. Same thing in football, peyton manning will eventually surpass Brett Favre but you will have older fans try to dismiss it.

Dude, what are you talking about? They came into the league only 5 years apart, and Yzerman only retired, like, 3 or 4 years ago... It's almost akin to saying that people will try to find ways to make Dany Heatley seem better than Ovechkin, as Heatley is from waaaaaay back in '01 (can you feel the nostalgia?) whereas Ovechkin came to us in modern day '05 (which is so recent you probably all still have those Christmas cards lying around, right?).

There were players "back then" that were better than the vast majority of all NHLers are today, btw, and Yzerman is certainly one of them (so is Sakic, for that matter).

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
even Jimmy Devellano from the Wings staff spoke up about it at a SIHR meeting.

Well, he is free to do so, but how long until someone pipes up about Mario or Jagr's numbers, and calls them inflated because the team was in financial distress, and needed to attract attention. While we're at it, I'm sure we could find someone who overheard a joke over a beer at a bar suggesting that Gretzky's numbers were inflated because he was encouraged to drum up interest in this expansion Oilers team that had just entered the league. In any event, I don't care much about what Devellano meant by what he said. The Red Wings won their division the year Yzerman hit 155, and were very much middle of the league in goals allowed.

I mean, come on, those guys still scored their points, and the other teams didn't let them do it. And in terms of defense, aren't we supposed to rate our perception of their abilities, NOT necessarily their abilities to do what they're told? Whether or not either guy was asked to play defense early in their careers, both showed that they were very capable of doing it when they had to.

Sure, Yzerman may seem to have "sacrificed" more offense than Sakic to achieve "Selke-level defense", but really he had already sacrificed his knees much earlier than that (which hurt his offense much more than the style change, imo). And despite all that, he remained a PPG player until his mid 30s and that major knee surgery in '02.

Last edited:

poise

Apr 5, 2008
I believe I touched on many of the same issues that rallymaster19 brought up about seventieslord's detailed study when he made his thread about Yzerman facing more stiff competition from top end scorers, team strength becoming a reality past Yzerman's best years, etc (while being to lazy to show the statistical backing of course :)).

Again, Sakic is clearly the more dominant player in terms of scoring placements, but to me, that is less valuable than raw point totals. Of course, my opinion stems mainly from watching and comparing both play and is very subjective, yet most convincing to me.

I always thought Yzerman was one of those players whose offensive numbers don't fully reflect his offensive performance (comparable to say Pat Lafontaine) as it seemed very frequent that even when he didn't score or get an assist, he was one of the most involved players in a resulting goal, while Sakic was a bit more quiet than I thought his numbers reflected.

On the topic of their comparison, if you take a look at the years they played in the league together, 1988-2006, Sakic paces for a 38 goal/98 point (82 game) season while Yzerman paces for a 38 goal/95 point season throughout that time. This probably hurts Yzerman more however as it cuts out two of Yzerman's early years and his breakout season, while only cutting out Sakic's 100 point season at age 37 and then his last couple of injury riddled seasons.

I'd argue that Yzerman was also better defensively every single year from that period except from 2003 and beyond, both got better at defense as they went, but Yzerman always had the step ahead (I have made the point before that Yzerman's defense in his offensive prime was much better than commonly portrayed today, and that is what is attested in the media at the time - Jimmy Devellano may disagree, but other coaches and general managers like Dick Todd, Jacques Demers, and Bryan Murray state this).

For a look at their primes, Yzerman dominated the rest of the top stars at a quite significantly, both in the three seasons when he was generally considered the third best player and throughout the seasons where he paced for 100 point seasons.

His point per game margins over non Gretzky and Lemieux players compare to and even surpass Jagr's domination when he won 5 Art Rosses and was runner up once.

Those kind of point per game margins over Oates during his years with Hull (and later Neely), and Lafontaine during his breakout, Messier, Nicholls when he was playing alongside Gretzky, and more are insane. That is stiff competition, if only in terms of point production (Nicholls and Oates).

People sometimes forget that Yzerman was spoken about in a way that even actually put him in the class of Gretzky and Lemieux during the late 1980's. Bobby Hull for example when speaking about what he expected from his son when he started his scoring tear remarked "I told him he needn't take a back seat to Gretzky, Yzerman and Lemieux anymore. He's got that kind of talent. I'll be even more proud of him after the season when he's averaged a goal a game and led the league. He can do it. He can play with the best" (Boston Globe - November 12, 1989) and Michel Bergeron who in an earlier season publicly berated Yzerman for diving would later state: "He is a great one, right up there in the same category with Gretzky and (Mario) Lemieux" (Detroit Free Press - January 20, 1990).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad