Sakic now full GM, Sherman demoted

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gotta feel for Greg from accounting. He did so much good work laying the foundation for what we're starting to reap. Hope he stays with the organization through whatever glory years are to come.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Gotta feel for Greg from accounting. He did so much good work laying the foundation for what we're starting to reap. Hope he stays with the organization through whatever glory years are to come.

He is still the assistant, we'll still get to reap the benefits of his budget balancing.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, best trader in the world.

(Doesn't matter, Patrick Roy controls the trades.)

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Somebody Graduated!

anigif_enhanced-21323-1399485773-1.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sakic was always the GM as soon as he was hired. Maybe he didn't officially held the GM title, but he was the GM. They just had to take their time to demote Sherman i guess.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
A smart rebuilding team would try to poach Sherman. He made some brilliant, high risk moves and negotiated some great contracts.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
A smart rebuilding team would try to poach Sherman. He made some brilliant, high risk moves and negotiated some great contracts.

Like Tigervixxen said, I can't think that he made many of the decisions even when he was considered the GM. You just don't go from being an accountant to making huge deals like the Varly and EJ ones without having a hockey background or pedigree. Others were pulling the strings, he just signed the papers.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
This is a much better role for ol' Shermy and I bet he's much happier working behind the scenes on contract stuff than he was as the PL/EL patsy.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Like Tigervixxen said, I can't think that he made many of the decisions even when he was considered the GM. You just don't go from being an accountant to making huge deals like the Varly and EJ ones without having a hockey background or pedigree. Others were pulling the strings, he just signed the papers.
That's a nice story, but there's no evidence for it. In fact, there's evidence against it: Pierre was President for both Sherman and Giguere and only one of those people made competent, intelligent decisions.

Oh, and then there's this:
Lacroix said, despite perceptions to the contrary, he hasn't been involved in the day-to-day operations of the franchise for many years.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23370612/two-stanley-cups-only-part-why-pierres-champion

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Teams were still negotiating through sherm the werm. That fat snake may have identified the targets for him but shermy brought them in. His role gets played down a lot and until we get some tell all books confirming who actually did what, I'm not ready write off all that happened in his name. Especially since everyone was so willing to blame shermy when the trades first came out and everyone was freaking out at him about overpaying.

Edit: as an aside, why do people dislike accountants so much? They do terribly boring jobs that allow the rest of us more interesting pursuits. If anything accountants should be respected, like the people who wiped the king's ass in days of yore, a horrible job that it was important to have someone do.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
That's a nice story, but there's no evidence for it. In fact, there's evidence against it: Pierre was President for both Sherman and Giguere and only one of those people made competent, intelligent decisions.

Oh, and then there's this:
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23370612/two-stanley-cups-only-part-why-pierres-champion

Yeah, that is true. I just always found it hard to believe that he(Sherman) did any of the work except for signing contracts, which by all accounts he seems to do well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why? Just cause he came from accounting doesn't mean he wasn't talking to and learning from the hockey people. This game isn't so complex that a smart guy can't figure it out enough over the better part of a decade to be a quality exec.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Why? Just cause he came from accounting doesn't mean he wasn't talking to and learning from the hockey people. This game isn't so complex that a smart guy can't figure it out enough over the better part of a decade to be a quality exec.

I think it is.

Edit: Although- part of being a quality exec is having the right people in place and listening to those people. Not saying he wasn't a good exec. just saying that he wasn't the guy who identified EJ or Varly or even identified that there was a need for an EJ or Varly, he was just the guy who made the phone calls. (IMO)

Last edited:

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
I think Sakic's title in the Roy/Sakic conference video is Executive Vice President and General Manager.

Edit: Or the charity golf video perhaps? I know I saw it somewhere...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think it is.

Edit: Although- part of being a quality exec is having the right people in place and listening to those people. Not saying he wasn't a good exec. just saying that he wasn't the guy who identified EJ or Varly or even identified that there was a need for an EJ or Varly, he was just the guy who made the phone calls. (IMO)

I'm not sure he identified them either but he was the one making the calls and making it happen. So even if he didn't that still doesn't take away from the job he did actually bringing them in.

I can identify Gudbranson, Ladd and Vermette as three guys who'd fix edmonton's biggest problems and are attainable for the expendable pieces they have, but without the guy to make those moves happen they'll continue wasting time and letting their core develop more and more bad habits.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's either lazy or cool not to announce it in a press release.

Poor Greg.

milton-stephen-root-office-space.jpg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just picture Greg getting let go the year before we win the cup, but nobody telling him so that he only finds out during the ceremonies when his name is nowhere to be found on anything.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It was already the case, it is just official now.
The similarities between Sakic and Elway are striking in terms of how they came back to the franchise, ran things for a few seasons and then officially got the GM title.

Sherman was already the assistant GM, he simply had the title of GM instead.
He does great work with contracts and I hope we keep him for a long time.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Sherman doesn't have a hockey background. His background is business, and he worked his way up in the Avs organization from the business end. It simply doesn't make any sense to believe he was ever the head decision maker from a player personnel standpoint. Yes he was largely responsible for contract negotiations, and perhaps trade negotiations as well. But there was always someone at a minimum, offering him significant counsel and signing off on any moves before Sherman took any action on his own, guaranteed. I seriously doubt his actual duties have changed significantly since he first acquired the GM title to now.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I just picture Greg getting let go the year before we win the cup, but nobody telling him so that he only finds out during the ceremonies when his name is nowhere to be found on anything.

All that's left is for Sakic to take his red stapler and we're set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad