Signing(s): Saints sign linebackers James Laurinaitus and Nathan Stupar

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Nothing spectacular. Laurinaitus will probably move to weak side which could help negate his diminished speed. Could be a really good mentor for Stephone Anthony too. Stupar looks like a solid 4th/5th LB special teams type who can fill in most anywhere.

Saints were supposedly very close to signing Jason Hatcher 2 days ago although I wonder if these two signings mean otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I'm hoping Laurinaitus is there for competition/depth with Ellerbe than starting at WILL. His inability to shed blocks consistently and coverage issues worry me if he's starting at WILL.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Here's how plays went far too often for the Rams and L'il Animal.

It's 3rd and 1. The offense is set up for a power run. Laurinaitis correctly diagnoses the play and meets the RB in the hole who falls forward for two yards and the first.

He's an excellent leader and someone you want on your team....just realize that he has physically regressed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm hoping Laurinaitus is there for competition/depth with Ellerbe than starting at WILL. His inability to shed blocks consistently and coverage issues worry me if he's starting at WILL.

Ellerbe cannot be counted on as he cannot stay healthy. He is a backup, nothing more. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even get out of training camp.

Stupar, also, simply a backup until proven otherwise.

The son of the former Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and Interim General Manager of Monday Night Raw has to prove he can stay healthy. I don't like the idea of moving Anthony just to fit him in, but we'll see in training camp. Lots of moving parts. I just hope this means the Saints are targeting a secondary early in the draft.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Ellerbe cannot be counted on as he cannot stay healthy. He is a backup, nothing more. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even get out of training camp.

The son of the former Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and Interim General Manager of Monday Night Raw has to prove he can stay healthy. I don't like the idea of moving Anthony just to fit him in, but we'll see in training camp. Lots of moving parts. I just hope this means the Saints are targeting a secondary early in the draft.

Prove he can stay healthy? In his entire career, Laurinaitis has missed 21 snaps. Not games, SNAPS.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Anthony could also move to strong side with Lauranaitis in the middle, but I don't like the idea of moving Anthony just to fit in somebody else. Can't stunt the kid's development, he looks like Vilma Jr.

Saints are currently hosting Nick Fairley so Hatcher seems off the table.

edit, NFLN says Laurinatis will play strong side, which means he's either a backup or Kikaha is moving to DE full-time (which honestly is probably a good idea).

Last edited:

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

nephew

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Lauraunitis can stay on the field but that doesn't mean he will make the D more productive just cause he's durable.

I mean, if you had ever noticed David Hawthorne "play football" you would understand it helps. Any NFL-caliber player would an upgrade.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
They can't get to the QB. They might as well just stick a pylon out there on defense.

So, like, maybe they should sign a strong-side linebacker (Lauranaitis), that way they could move their best outside pass rusher to full-time DE (Kikaha) and then sign a free agent 4-3 interior pass rusher (Fairley). Oh wait that appears to be exactly what they're doing.

Kind of second-rate? Maybe. But it's what they can do right now with the current cap. Then, next offseason they will have 85 million plus to spend and 35 or so players under contract.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
So, like, maybe they should sign a strong-side linebacker (Lauranaitis), that way they could move their best outside pass rusher to full-time DE (Kikaha) and then sign a free agent 4-3 interior pass rusher (Fairley). Oh wait that appears to be exactly what they're doing.

Kind of second-rate? Maybe. But it's what they can do right now with the current cap. Then, next offseason they will have 85 million plus to spend and 35 or so players under contract.

That's what they get for paying a QB way too much who is arguably not fully healthy and is about past his prime. He's still productive yes but I wonder where the end game is. Though I always felt he was a way better QB in the dome than on the road.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's what they get for paying a QB way too much who is arguably not fully healthy and is about past his prime. He's still productive yes but I wonder where the end game is. Though I always felt he was a way better QB in the dome than on the road.

Brees original deal was very fair & modest, 5 years 100 million. Its the constant restructures every year since that made it seem like he was being paid too much (i.e 30 million).

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Saints signed another LB today. Craig Robertson ex-Browns. Looks like an up-and-comer. I like this quite a bit more than the Laurinaitis deal.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Saints signed another LB today. Craig Robertson ex-Browns. Looks like an up-and-comer. I like this quite a bit more than the Laurinaitis deal.

Robertson I like more than the other two. He seems like an ace in coverage, and improving against the run.

WLB: Ellerbe/Robertson
MLB: Laurinaitis/Mauti
SLB: Anthony/Stupar

Kikaha to DE. I think that's generally the plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad