Saginaw Spirit 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 2)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Please watch the replay (it has been posted). Parekh gives a glove to the shoulder and back of head of Bonk. Good roughing call. At no point does he cross check him.
London had the highest PIMs in the league for a reason. Hunter wanted an intimidation element. They continue into the playoffs. When an infraction happens and they get called they are looking at it through a different lens than everyone else. At least half of their squad plays chippy and aggressive before and after whistles. They probably get away with more than they should. We all see things through the colour of glasses we wear. No one has the market cornered on halos.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Ya according to Doyle, Parekh cross checked Lawrence in the head and Lawrence check was a cross check to the shoulder. LOL. Parekh had one hand on his stick and Lawrence check was to Parekh’s neck. Such a homer. He does the same with every London penalty. Calls some utopian version of events as if the viewers are blind and the refs are somehow listening to him.
These guys know their place. Leigh Cunningham got canned by the Hunters years ago for telling it like it is.

If these guys want to keep their jobs, they’ll tow the company line. Hard to blame them.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
London had the highest PIMs in the league for a reason. Hunter wanted an intimidation element. They continue into the playoffs. When an infraction happens and they get called they are looking at it through a different lens than everyone else. At least half of their squad plays chippy and aggressive before and after whistles. They probably get away with more than they should. We all see things through the colour of glasses we wear. No one has the market cornered on halos.
Never liked London since they’re the Rangers most hated rival, but I won’t be criticizing their style of play anytime soon.

It works!

We in Rangerland long for the DeBoer days. He ran out similar teams. At or near the top of the league on pims every year.

But it worked too!

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
It started with the cheap shot on Sapoliv. Bonk deserved what he got. Doyle is an effing moron. Those 2 senile fools should retire.
Thought the hit on Sapovaliv was clean. Keep your head up.

Parekh coming to defense is understandable, and yes, a 2 minute minor. Lawerence head cross check was uncalled for, and worth more than what Guo got, especially as a repeat offender in the playoffs.

I’m convinced London’s hired their broadcast team in an effort to get opposing fans to attend away games in London so that you don’t have to listen to those guys. Lol

Was it as bad as Lawrence’s retaliation?
No, but if Lawerence wasn’t involved, it would’ve been a bad time to take a minor as the third man in… as long as Parekh is okay,that really could’ve saved Saginaw

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Never liked London since they’re the Rangers most hated rival, but I won’t be criticizing their style of play anytime soon.

It works!

We in Rangerland long for the DeBoer days. He ran out similar teams. At or near the top of the league on pims every year.

But it worked too!
I like hard nose hockey as much as anyone. Hitting is part of the game and should be utilized. I think the issue is when certain players go out of their way to actually physically injure opponents. Personally I think Hunter was abducted by aliens and went back in time to the 80s to build this years version of the Knights. If an opponent has the skill and grit they can take advantage of an overly aggressive system. Deboer liked tough players but I doubt he would employ the Boltons. They wouldn't survive a practice with him. He demanded they could play hockey.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Parekh coming to defense is understandable, and yes, a 2 minute minor. Lawerence head cross check was uncalled for, and worth more than what Guo got, especially as a repeat offender in the playoffs.

I’m convinced London’s hired their broadcast team in an effort to get opposing fans to attend away games in London so that you don’t have to listen to those guys. Lol

No, but if Lawerence wasn’t involved, it would’ve been a bad time to take a minor as the third man in… as long as Parekh is okay,that really could’ve saved Saginaw

I don’t think Sapo even had the puck unless I’m thinking of a different hit.

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
Must be nice to have the OHL paving your way to the Memorial Cup. Shocking Saginaw won the bid with the attendance they have. Also they obviously also have the refs and the brass in their back pocket. It's funny how they say the Knights are the ones with the officials and brass in their back pocket yet they has the most penalties this year. I do not know how anyone in their right mind does not see the preferential treatment they have received all year and now even more so in the playoffs. This has been disgusting. And like I said elsewhere in no way do I feel that the Knights did not deserve 90% of the calls they received. Problem is....especially last night that 90% of Saginaw infractions were not called.

Below is a prime example where the Saginaw player on the right received 2 mins for roughing while the London player on the left received 5 min, game misconduct and a 5 game suspension for the same thing.

Mad as a Knights fan but disgusted as an OHL fan.

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
Must be nice to have the OHL paving your way to the Memorial Cup. Shocking Saginaw won the bid with the attendance they have. Also they obviously also have the refs and the brass in their back pocket. It's funny how they say the Knights are the ones with the officials and brass in their back pocket yet they has the most penalties this year. I do not know how anyone in their right mind does not see the preferential treatment they have received all year and now even more so in the playoffs. This has been disgusting. And like I said elsewhere in no way do I feel that the Knights did not deserve 90% of the calls they received. Problem is....especially last night that 90% of Saginaw infractions were not called.

Below is a prime example where the Saginaw player on the right received 2 mins for roughing while the London player on the left received 5 min, game misconduct and a 5 game suspension for the same thing.

Do you feel better now that you've come to our page to vent?

There were multiple dangerous plays against Saginaw not called in the Soo that no one will talk about because the number of Saginaw fans here is so low. Not to mention the play that knocked Parkeh out for multiple games - that Soo fans said he was faking and embellishing.

Are we also responsible for London being the most penalized team in the regular season? Like I know you're mad they lost, but c'mon -- you have to realize that isn't a coincidence.

London is a fantastic team, there's no need to straight up goon it up. That's the frustrating part because they have so much potential. But what I saw last night was straight up embarrassing for them, and they deserve everything they got.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
You guys are gonna win the series. Can fight the OHL on this one. We made some stupid retaliations, but Saginaw is playing the victim really hard and the OHL is biting. But if they can get them to bite, then kudos to them.

• Haha
Reactions: Living Vicariously

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

The refs love Saginaw narrative fall apart when it comes out that Saginaw was also top 5 in pims this year and haches son set his career high in pims this season and was suspended in the playoffs. AFTER Saginaw was in the bottom of the league in PiMs the year before without Hache. If he’s fixing the reffing he’s doing a piss poor job of it.

The Boultons going full cement for brains at the end of game 4 when Saginaw was clearly running out the clock I’m sure made an impression on the refs and called it tighter this time around on London

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
it's undeniable that was a dirty penalty that deserved a major and supplementary discipline.

it's also undeniable that parekh did the exact same thing to Travis Hayes in round 2 and somehow walked unpenalized.

officiating/discipline in the OHL is an unmitigated disaster and the optics of the Hache situation was never going to be good. this league just can't help itself.

It’s not completely clear if the league wants to eradicate all physical type players such as Arnsby, Lawrence, Hache; or if the league is just very reluctant to suspend Parekh and BMB types.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
You can tell Saggy played one solid game last night reading the complaints about them winning.

You guys are gonna win the series. Can fight the OHL on this one. We made some stupid retaliations, but Saginaw is playing the victim really hard and the OHL is biting. But if they can get them to bite, then kudos to them.
I took a long shot and took Saggy in 7. Might happen. Seems like a solid squad.

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
You can tell Saggy played one solid game last night reading the complaints about them winning.
Do yourself a favour and watch the game....then tell me your honest opinion. I've never seem anything like it. The reffing took away from the game. I thought London looked slow, Sloppy, and were not playing great. To be honest we were outplayed. But any chance London has to try and get some momentum the refs made sure that did not happen. It could have been a good game but the refs turned it into a gong show.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
The more I see of what goes on the more I believe that the majority of players flat out don't know how to deliver a legal legitimite hit. The league and coaching has gone out of their way to make contact a thing of the past. So retribution is now in the form of ungainly attemps at contact and the need to bring the stick into play. 80% of OHL players will have their heads taken off at the next level with the body contact they will be subjected to... and they won't be prepared for it.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
as far as I know they’ve always been like that. Dale hunter hockey at its finest, cheap shots and hits after the whistle that go un called.

One hell of a coach but it’s frustrating to watch

Idk what it is but fans seem to be super hostile to refs this past season. All leagues. Griffins game last night fans got the “ref you suck” chant going. I hate that garbage personally.
Can’t wait until they go for robotic refs or ai refs and get every call right and the games are 4 hours long

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
as far as I know they’ve always been like that. Dale hunter hockey at its finest, cheap shots and hits after the whistle that go un called.

One hell of a coach but it’s frustrating to watch

Can’t wait until they go for robotic refs or ai refs and get every call right and the games are 4 hours long
They’ll just claim the robots have been tampered with.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Do yourself a favour and watch the game....then tell me your honest opinion. I've never seem anything like it. The reffing took away from the game. I thought London looked slow, Sloppy, and were not playing great. To be honest we were outplayed. But any chance London has to try and get some momentum the refs made sure that did not happen. It could have been a good game but the refs turned it into a gong show.
Reffing is questionable in every league.
Knights are the most penalized team this season. Some teams take more penalties in games than their opponent. Only saw Saginaw once but from that viewing they look like a solid squad. Knights are prone to play on or over the edge. Sometimes the refs call everything. Obviously Lawrence and Simm did something serious to get 5 games. Series is far from over. On to the next game.

Jay R

Mar 30, 2024

Funny how Lawrence is warrented a suspension but your guys Parekh does the same thing last series and got nothing funny how teams always look at thing with homer eyes it's laughable

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Funny how Lawrence is warrented a suspension but your guys Parekh does the same thing last series and got nothing funny how teams always look at thing with homer eyes it's laughable
Lawrence has a reputation now. That's 10 games he misses. Fans have absolutely nothing to do with calls or suspensions. Your right it is laughable how homerish all fans are. Wonder why. League makes the decisions by looking at evidence in front of them. Sometimes fans are shocked by decisions. They also won't tolerate having referees disrespected whether they deserve it or not. They protect the refs. Otherwise it's open season.

Jay R

Mar 30, 2024
Lawrence has a reputation now. That's 10 games he misses. Fans have absolutely nothing to do with calls or suspensions. Your right it is laughable how homerish all fans are. Wonder why. League makes the decisions by looking at evidence in front of them. Sometimes fans are shocked by decisions. They also won't tolerate having referees disrespected whether they deserve it or not. They protect the refs. Otherwise it's open season.
I agree it just frustrates fans when one player gets called for something but others can do no wrong and get away with anything just makes the league look stupid and favor some over others

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad