Saddest Franchise Fall from Grace: Detroit, Toronto, NY Isles, or Edmonton?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was a hockey fan from elementary, through junior high, senior high and university and the Leafs never once had a winning season. That is a fact. Do the math. I feel sorry for my contemporaries who cheered for them.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
They have more than the Red Wings for this current decade, that's for sure.

If the current editions of the Red Wings are now the measuring stick for the mightiest franchise in league history, I think that tells us all we need to know.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Here is a fact that makes the Isles the winner hands down:

After Pickett the Isles had 4 consecutive ownership groups (Gang of 4, Spano (lol), Gluckshmuck and Millstupid (they aren't even worthy of being called by their actual names) and Wang/Kumar) that featured someone who later were charged with a crime and/or ended up doing hard time.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I agree it's Montreal, because they fell from higher and they fell very hard.It's embarassing.

Recently I checked and since the 97-98 season Montreal was the franchise with the least players who were playing at a PPG pace in any given season, with a grand total of one: Kovalev in 07-08.No one else did it.

Ive been watching the habs since the pat burns era. Those were some very good teams, but even back then, i think they were more known for defense, and goaltending. We've gone through their extensive list of dmen in the system back then, and it was quite mind boggling.

Yes, they had PPG players in that time, but thats when it meant less too.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
My entire time as a hockey fan I’ve never known the Canadians as a cup contender. Really they’ve been the most forgettable and mediocre franchise I could think of. Who’s been their biggest star forward? A slightly washed Kovelev? At least the bad teams (Atlanta) were memorably bad. I find that sad as someone who appreciates the history of the game. 1993 was a long time ago now. The Halak run was one of the more memorable runs in recent history and it was a total anomaly.

Last edited:

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Kind of connected to my other thread (which was resurrected today) about franchise failures. But this time: Which previously successful / awesome / dynastic / iconic franchise had the saddest fall from grace?

My selections to choose from:

Detroit Red Wings
Grace period: 1942 to 1957 (still competitive, on-and-off, from 1957 to 1970)
Fall from Grace: 1970 to 1986
The Wings' sixteen-year fall will be forever known as the 'Dead Wings' era. During this heinous period, they had exactly one winning season (and none whatsoever from '73 to '86... ouch!). From 1971 to 1983, they made the playoffs... once. The team actually reached its low-point in 1985-86 (at .250) just before recovery began when the Ilitches hired Jacques Demers, who made Steve Yzerman captain.

Toronto Maple Leafs
Grace period: 1940 to 1951, and again roughly 1959 to 1967 (still somewhat competitive from 1967 to 1979)
Fall from Grace: 1979 to 1992
The Leafs' thirteen-year fall will be forever known as the 'Ballard' era, when the team itself was often called the 'Maple Laughs'. The sexist, homophobic, profane majority owner (Ballard) drove the franchise into the ground safe in the knowledge that no matter how awful the team was, the loyal fans would still fill the building and guarantee revenue (which indeed they did). This horror-show thirteen year period featured no seasons with the Leafs over .500, with the 1984-85 (.300) season perhaps being the nadir.

New York Islanders
Grace period: 1975 to 1984 (still competitive from 1984 to 1988)
Fall from Grace: 1988 to 2001
The post-Potvin Islanders fell to .381 in 1988-89 (Billy Smith's last season) and didn't really recover until 2001-02. This wretched period included no fewer than seven seasons with a win-percentage in the .300's. The latter part of this era was topped-off by GM Mike Milbury's remarkable capacity for trading away young talents and signing/drafting ordinary players. (However... out of nowhere, the 1992-93 Isles had a decent season and took down the defending Cup champs in the second round, before losing in the Conference series. So, there was that.)

Edmonton Oilers
Grace period: 1981 to 1992 (still competitive from 1996 to 2006)
Fall from grace: 2006 to 2019 (ongoing)
The post-Dynasty Oilers fell badly circa 1992 to 1996, but this was mainly down to lack of revenue, not team management. They recovered, and made a Cup-run in spring 2006. Since then, they've been the worst team in the NHL, cumulatively, over an almost 13-year period, despite four 1st-overall draft picks in six years. The usual revolving door of coaches and GMs has highlighted this dark era. Superstar Connor McDavid is about to miss the playoffs for the third time in four years, while the franchise as a whole will do so for the twelfth time in thirteen seasons (2016-17 being the lone, brief, bright spot).

In short, then, which franchise (has) had the saddest fall from grace?

Well this is very subjective, for me it is clearly the Leafs. They are one of the most overrated franchises in professional sports. They won all of their championships when the league was the Original Six. Haven't even been to the finals since. That's a tough distinction to hold.

Their fan base is strong because hockey in Canada, specifically Ontario, is very strong. They've had constant stretches of not making the playoffs, including not making the playoffs once in an 11 year stretch from 2006-2017, and not winning a playoff round since 2004. Don't even get me laughing about the Harold Ballard period.

I think with their history and so many players from Ontario, the Leafs have an unfortunate problem of other teams rising up to play them hard. They know the media is watching, their families are watching. It's just the team fans and other NHLers loves to hate. The big, wealthy, corporate team that hasn't won in half a century.

I'm still a fan, that won't change. Lifelong habits are tough to break. It's also a reason so many fans can't let go of a high stick from the Great One that happened 26 years ago...it's just been such a painful ride, that Leaf fans need every chance to celebrate. That's why, if Matthews, Tavares, Marner and company can ever hoist a Cup, they will live forever in NHL lore and in the hearts of Leaf fans.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If the current editions of the Red Wings are now the measuring stick for the mightiest franchise in league history, I think that tells us all we need to know.

Well, the Wings are explicitly mentionned in the thread title...

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
The Wings are not at all a bad answer to this question, it's just that their current teams are not a decent benchmark for anything, just about everyone puts them to shame.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I was a hockey fan from elementary, through junior high, senior high and university and the Leafs never once had a winning season. That is a fact. Do the math. I feel sorry for my contemporaries who cheered for them.
Well, from 1973-74 to 1986-87 (14 seasons in a row), the Red Wings had losing records every year. That's actually very hard to achieve, even if you were trying to lose.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Well, from 1973-74 to 1986-87 (14 seasons in a row), the Red Wings had losing records every year. That's actually very hard to achieve, even if you were trying to lose.

I wonder if anyones been worse except the canucks during the same era (15 losing seasons) which couldve been longer if it wasnt for 2 barely winning seasons during mid 70s.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I have to go with Detroit

From 1973-1986, they won a grand total of 4 playoff games (2 of those were in the era of best of 3 series) and never had a winning record or even a .500 finish for 14 straight years!

even the 80s Leafs at least won a couple of playoff series and had a .500 finish in 1990

the Islanders post 1993 pre-Tavares at least had a handful of winning seasons sprinkled in despite their playoff series win drought (Isles longest stretch with a season below .500 was 8 compared to DET’s 14)

Montreal since the 1993 Cup- made a couple of conference finals and have had their share of winning seasons, and despite their PPG issues have not had consecutive years below .500 in that stretch

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I have to go with Detroit

From 1973-1986, they won a grand total of 4 playoff games (2 of those were in the era of best of 3 series) and never had a winning record or even a .500 finish for 14 straight years!

even the 80s Leafs at least won a couple of playoff series and had a .500 finish in 1990

the Islanders post 1993 pre-Tavares at least had a handful of winning seasons sprinkled in despite their playoff series win drought (Isles longest stretch with a season below .500 was 8 compared to DET’s 14)

Montreal since the 1993 Cup- made a couple of conference finals and have had their share of winning seasons, and despite their PPG issues have not had consecutive years below .500 in that stretch
What exactly did Detroit fall from? They had some contenders in the 1960's, but didn't win a single Cup. So they didn't fall that far. Montreal fell hard after 1993. At one time, Montreal fans didn't brag about making a couple of Conference Finals. That's all they've had since 1993.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What exactly did Detroit fall from? They had some contenders in the 1960's, but didn't win a single Cup. So they didn't fall that far. Montreal fell hard after 1993. At one time, Montreal fans didn't brag about making a couple of Conference Finals. That's all they've had since 1993.

Well, to be honest, I answered your question... Now, if you would ask better questions...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad