Sad case of Angelo Esposito

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
While many felt he was a project and one or two people might have had him 3rd round, the large majority of experts, publications and fans thought he would still be a top 10 pick largely on the basis of his scoring from his draft-1 season showcasing his potential.

The 2007 draft was widely considered a poor draft at the time too, which made people look at the few higher-end CHL scorers as a more rare asset and thus value them accordingly. Guys were ranked highly despite having major weaknesses as opposed to safe players with less perceived upside.

Obviously in this case the teams were right, but by the time Pittsburgh drafted him teams were widely considering him a steal at that spot simply because if all panned out he would have been a great NHL scorer, even if his bust factor was similarly sky high.

I remember people calling out Team Canada for ignoring him in World Junior team selections for his last 3 junior seasons. People were so surprised/mildly happy to see him selected to the team in '09, even though some felt he could/should have been on the team as a 16-year old. Goes to show that as much as people like to pretend, drafting and development can be as much a crapshoot as it is a science.

Sorry gotta dis agree. He was drafted at a time when most people put ***** by most numbets put up by the Q. HIS numbers were soft

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Does anyone have Angelo Esposito's match-by-match stats from the 2005-06 season?

It was a very interesting season. He played with Radulov and together they led the league in scoring for much of the first two-three months.

I found an old thread on HF which said that at one point in November 2015 Esposito led the entire QMJHL with 41 points (in at least half the games), while Radulov was just behind him with 40. Esposito was 16 years old.

Of course we know that Espo fell on hard times soon after that and never recovered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad