Sacramento is the front runner to host the A's from 2025-27

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I had a brief vision about a modular stadium put up next to the old Arco/Sleep Train Arena site where a stadium base was built more than 30 years ago. Mind you, visible even with Google Earth, it looks more like a resort lining a pond with the kind of overgrowth that makes for a good “abandoned lakeside resort 30 years on from the zombie apocalypse” set. That might take too much time to clean up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sacramento is in my very-long-term 48 team MLB alignment. This is because I want MLB to eventually have a team in every city that was part of the heyday of the Pacific Coast League - including a new team in Oakland plus one in Portland.
If my city is hosting a team with no intention of remaining in the market, I’d want to be considered in the process.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Seems akin to the Houston Oilers playing in Memphis for a year before moving to Nashville permanently, only to backfire tremendously. They want a team, they don't want to be a placeholder for another city's team.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Sacramento is in my very-long-term 48 team MLB alignment. This is because I want MLB to eventually have a team in every city that was part of the heyday of the Pacific Coast League - including a new team in Oakland plus one in Portland.

48 teams? Good lord man there's not that much talent to go around.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I had a brief vision about a modular stadium put up next to the old Arco/Sleep Train Arena site where a stadium base was built more than 30 years ago. Mind you, visible even with Google Earth, it looks more like a resort lining a pond with the kind of overgrowth that makes for a good “abandoned lakeside resort 30 years on from the zombie apocalypse” set. That might take too much time to clean up.

It was supposed to be NFL friendly too. Sacramento tried to court Al Davis in 1990 or so but it didn't gain traction. From what I remember reading, the project had no more money after the As/Raiders thing failed.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I mentioned it in the other A's thread.

Expansion to Sacramento becomes a viable option AFTER the A's have left Oakland for another state. The Sacramento A's are "too close for a honeymoon, too far from home." It's just trading the accessibility of a split SF/OAK fan base in the East Bay for one 80 miles North. You'll lose more fans than you gain.

But if the A's leave, and THEN Sacramento is like "hey, what about us! We'll build a stadium" then a 2.6 million market that the Giants can't fight, where a newly rebranded team via expansion, which redraws the TV map COULD win the fandom of the whole market going forward.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad