Rumor: Sabres / Wild discussed Kane

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That was supposedly something talked about in the summer, I'm guessing before the Staal and Stewart signing. I strongly doubt that he is on Minnesota's radar at the moment. Too many negatives, and at too high a price.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Better source, from Mike Russo:

Star Tribune Wild beat man Mike Russo addressed the Kane to Wild chatter on Sunday when he wrote:

" I can only say that I’ve been told by multiple sources multiple times that there were trade talks. But you can assume that in order to add $5.25 million in salary (even if salary/cap space were retained), it would have had to be a “hockey trade.â€

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Wild-For-Kane/6/80504

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm guessing the talk was around Kane+pick for Brodin+Zucker. Sabres probably wanted more. Wild realized that they had too many left wings already and Kane is an idiot.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Too bad Pominville has so many years left on his deal otherwise a swap couple make sense.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I'm guessing the talk was around Kane+pick for Brodin+Zucker. Sabres probably wanted more. Wild realized that they had too many left wings already and Kane is an idiot.

if its a hockey trade i would guess this is close but instead of zucker i would guess

kane+pick for brodin

kane has lower value because kane but still a talented piece if he gets his head out of his ***, this also helps minny out of an expansion issue for defenceman

buffalo adds to their ever talented young core, this would actually piss me off as a sens fan, buffalo has enough to look forward to

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Too bad Pominville has so many years left on his deal otherwise a swap couple make sense.

Funny enough I thought it would be around Pominville, at least the guy worked well in Buffalo and had success there, although Buffalo has some dead weight of their own in Moulson already.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well the only way i could see this working is pommer heading to buffalo for cap space. im worried kane may be a locker room cancer so i'll pass.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Brodin and Zucker for Kane? SURE!!

...wait...you do mean Patrick Kane, right? Because Brodin and Zucker for Evander Kane is a bizarro world overpayment. Sabres wanted more?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

As a Sabres fan, I doubt Tim Murray asked for that much. None of his previous trades as GM have that sort of value coming back. I'd guess it was Evander + Fasching + Girgensons for Brodin + something to balance cap. For better or worse, Murray has been willing to pay for the guy he wants.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
well the only way i could see this working is pommer heading to buffalo for cap space. im worried kane may be a locker room cancer so i'll pass.

I love these locker room cancer posts

Evander is like most athletes, some guys in the room love the guy and some aren't friends but because Dustin Buff had a problem with the guy, he's a cancer.

Away from the arena is where the issues come in, not inside it.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
I love these locker room cancer posts

Evander is like most athletes, some guys in the room love the guy and some aren't friends but because Dustin Buff had a problem with the guy, he's a cancer.

Away from the arena is where the issues come in, not inside it.

If only Kane's tracksuit could talk

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
If I was Wild I wouldn't trade for E. Kane would rather lose a defenseman to expansion then trade one defenseman for E. Kane.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Jeebus christ. Kane is near zero value with his problems and his contract.

Pominville for Kane could have been closer. Even cap too.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Kane is a winger, brodin is a Dman...Buffalo can do 8-1 protection at the expansion draft. Buffalo wants to add another young Dman.

It isn't rocket science.....

thank you for explaining it. So good, i guess it solves some Buffalo issues. But that guess i was questioning was absolutely crazy from the Wild's side. Not only is there a disparity in player value, there's the point that we'd still end up exposing one good defenseman and one good forward. So we're going to lose three good players (Brodin and Zuck, plus probably another D in expansion) and end up with two years of Kane at $5.5. It doesn't take a...lettuce chopper at Taco Bell to figure out what a **** deal that is.

Rather lose one for no return than three for Kane. Very, very easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Jeebus christ. Kane is near zero value with his problems and his contract.

Pominville for Kane could have been closer. Even cap too.

Given Pominville's age and declining play I don't see it. Buffalo would just keep the younger arguably better player on a shorter contract. It was likely Kane + for a Wild defenseman.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Russo has mentioned it several times (and been asked many many times) that he think Granlund is not long for the team. Doesn't sound like it addresses anything but if they got Folin with Granlund that might have been a decent basis. I know Folin isn't on your radar but he's been very good this year and has second pair D written all over him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Russo has mentioned it several times (and been asked many many times) that he think Granlund is not long for the team. Doesn't sound like it addresses anything but if they got Folin with Granlund that might have been a decent basis. I know Folin isn't on your radar but he's been very good this year and has second pair D written all over him.

Sabres have Bogo and Risto as their top-4 RHD locked up for the next 4+ years. Not really a place for Folin there other than 3rd pair or injury fill in.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
If E Kane could stay healthy & out of trouble for even 1 year he'd have good trade value.

For now the best trading partner for the Sabres is his hometown of Vancouver. Maybe being surrounded by family might make him think about his off ice stuff.

The Orca have a few good, young parts Buffalo could use. Since Linden likes to walk the middle of the competing & rebuilding roads it could be a match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad