GDT: Sabres vs Avs 10:00PM EST TV: TNT Radio: WGR

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I really like Donnie. I think he is good people and a good, well respected hockey guy. I appreciate what he has done with this team up until this point. I feel for the guys family. Unsure if firing a guy after his brother is diagnosed with cancer is the best or worst move for him. But it has to be on the table at this point.

I believe that people should continue to get a chance to prove themselves as long as they are constantly getting better. I really thought that since the team kept getting better that they deserved another year. Even if they didn't improve this year, I thought for sure that worst case scenario would be another low 90 point season, but at least fun, exciting, watchable hockey.

What I didn't expect was for this team to look this bad. The bottom end of the roster is bad, the versatility of the guys in Rochester is bad. The goaltending is bad. The coaching is bad. Outside of the Dahlin and Benson, the offseason was bad with no notable improvement from FA's.

I don't think we can look at this team and blame Granato entirely either. A big part of why we stink is Kevyn Adams. That isn't lost on me. His vision is to keep running the whole thing back until these guys figure it out. I honestly don't want a single roster move until we clean house. I don't want a desperate guy making desperate moves.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting forca clean house. I believe TP sees am orderly and functioning house to his liking.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting forca clean house. I believe TP sees am orderly and functioning house to his liking.

What I think should happen and what I think Terry Pegula will do are two very different conversations.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I guess this is a roster composition v. roster execution argument. I think there are problems with the roster, no doubt, but I also strongly believe the pieces they have in place should be better than this and at least be able to string some wins together.
Perfectly reasonable take. I guess I see it as the pieces are not as good as advertised.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
What happened? It was 3-1 when I fell asleep with Sabres looking like they were dominating the 2nd period before I passed out mid way thru.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
What happened? It was 3-1 when I fell asleep with Sabres looking like they were dominating the 2nd period before I passed out mid way thru.
First period all the Avs.
Second period all Sabres
Third period a little more balanced but Avs ultimately closed the game out better.

As mad as i am about our first period, i have to be mindful that we did the exact same thing back to colorado in the second except we didn't score because of reasons.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Trade anyone if the right deal is there, no one is off limits, this team is way too comfortable.

Edit: Except Benson, he stays

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
There is an old saying in coaching "you practice how you play".
Still have a coaching book on that topic called "Perfect Practice" (Or "Practice Perfect".... can't remember which order...)

But your point is directly on target.

Tired of all the excuses and validations guys.

We are nearly 30 games in and we're still making excuses for this team, players, coaching, management and ownership.

OK. We'll see where they are come this April........ Suggestion: check out a golf course first.... lol

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hey guys, just curious how long the coaching staff has been playing EJ on the left side this year?

FYI, he's almost never played there in his career. I'm guessing 5 games at most. It's a terrible idea. Multiple coaches in Colorado avoided it, even when there was a need for it. The few times he played with another righty, it was almost always the other guy switching to his off side.

Some tough moments for the Sabres last night, but your team shows lots of promise. Avs fans have been there. It'll be rough for a little bit, but you'll get there with the talent on this team.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Hey guys, just curious how long the coaching staff has been playing EJ on the left side this year?

FYI, he's almost never played there in his career. I'm guessing 5 games at most. It's a terrible idea. Multiple coaches in Colorado avoided it, even when there was a need for it. The few times he played with another righty, it was almost always the other guy switching to his off side.

Some tough moments for the Sabres last night, but your team shows lots of promise. Avs fans have been there. It'll be rough for a little bit, but you'll get there with the talent on this team.
With all due respect, Avs fans have NOT been here. No team in the NHL has been here aside from the Sabres. We have the record and are continuing to expand on it. No fans of any other team can relate to where we are right now.

As for your EJ query, no idea. Stopped trying to understand the coaching decisions many games ago.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

It's only been a few games. Prior to that it was Clifton playing his off-hand side. Both have struggled there.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
With all due respect, Avs fans have NOT been here. No team in the NHL has been here aside from the Sabres. We have the record and are continuing to expand on it. No fans of any other team can relate to where we are right now.

As for your EJ query, no idea. Stopped trying to understand the coaching decisions many games ago.

Ok that's fair I guess, but you know what I meant. The current rebuild with a talented team with some expectations, that's still working through the rough patches. We went through that with the Duchene era.

This era feels different to me from previous eras of the Sabres. Perhaps you feel differently, but IMO some of those other iterations of the Sabres weren't nearly as talented as this one.

Either way, good luck to you in the future and thanks for the info.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad