Confirmed with Link: Sabres trade 21st overall to Sens for Robin Lehner, David Legwand ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
On the plus side, we traded with Ottawa, makers of two of the five worst trades this decade: Rundblad for Tarasenko, and the Bishop/Conacher swap. The latter of which the HF Intelligentsia roundly declared them the winners in the days following the trade.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I still don't undrstAnd why "goalie of the future" needs to be on this team this year

Who said he needs to be?

I really don't get your confusion. Murray likes Lehner, thinks he can be the answer down the line and fits the age he is targeting. He was available so he traded for him.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I still don't undrstAnd why "goalie of the future" needs to be on this team this year

I think it makes sense to have a promising young goalie grow with the team as it climbs from the bottom. Signing a stopgap FA would have left open a larger possibility of being screwed over at that position later when it would actually be time to contend as we'd be completely dependent on the development of late round draft picks and/or the UFA market several years from now.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think it makes sense to have a promising young goalie grow with the team as it climbs from the bottom. Signing a stopgap FA would have left open a larger possibility of being screwed over at that position later when it would actually be time to contend as we'd be completely dependent on the development of late round draft picks and/or the UFA market several years from now.

Agreed.

The funny thing about this trade is Murray said he was going to do this. He had said he wanted to use #21 to get a young player (23-24yr old) that was either a top 6 forward, top 3 dman or a starting goalie.

Most were excited about the top 6 forward or top 3 dman parts. Then ignored or didn't want to believe the goalie part. I include myself in that group :laugh:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Agreed.

The funny thing about this trade is Murray said he was going to do this. He had said he wanted to use #21 to get a young player (23-24yr old) that was either a top 6 forward, top 3 dman or a starting goalie.

Most were excited about the top 6 forward or top 3 dman parts. Then ignored or didn't want to believe the goalie part. I include myself in that group :laugh:

What's funny is that Tim has said everything he did. When he said these things people were behind it originally.

For example; the Kane/Bogosian trade. He said he would use picks and prospects to acquire NHL ready players and coupled with the Myers(you will have to blow his socks off to get him) comment, that exactly happened and he did those moves.

As JJ said, he said he would like to use the pick for possibly a goalie and again used the picks for NHL ready players.

Everything TIm has said he Has done.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Agreed.

Some people just get hung up on prospects and this weird fascination of having the most prospects rather then having the best young NHL players. Keeping 21 and picking Konecny does nothing for this franchise. Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Karabacek, Possler, Cornel can all be effective RW.

My only hangup with the trade is I was sure that it meant we couldn't get O'Reilly. Once TM pulled off that trade I wasn't worried about the Lehner trade. Lack and Talbot went for less because they are 28 and will be UFAs at seasons end. Lehner at 23 is under control for years to come hence the higher value.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Until we are five years down the road and Lehner has been a reliable starter, unquestioned number one for us, this trade makes me a little nauseous.

Can't get beyond it.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
On the plus side, we traded with Ottawa, makers of two of the five worst trades this decade: Rundblad for Tarasenko, and the Bishop/Conacher swap. The latter of which the HF Intelligentsia roundly declared them the winners in the days following the trade.

:laugh: but we hired the Sens AGM that had a hand in player decisions and scouting.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Because instead of having to deal with all the headaches of an aging netminder or waiting for the next 3 years for Johansson, Peterson or Ullmark to develop they have a 23 year old with stretches of 82 games roughly under his belt. He has the size, and when on his game the upside is immense. He was my personal #1 target all offseason, though the cost was absorbent regardless. He's also cost controlled for the next 3 seasons.

R2010

May 23, 2011

Rundblad was traded with a 2nd round pick for Turris like a year later so its hard to say that was a bad trade to get Rundblad.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Konecny could of been a sabre and still had a good starting goalie.

If we're being pragmatic about this, Konecny probably isn't our pick. They went heavy on defense--and LHD, primarily--for the remainder of the draft. I'm not fully buying the "that's just how the draft broke for us and we weren't aiming for defense" line. Given TM's affinity for Swedes, and the organization's likely recognition of the need for LHD, I think they would've taken Jacob Larsson (27th to ANA) or Gabriel Carlsson (29th to CBJ) over Konecny or Colin White.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
When we're starting rebuilding: "Depth of high picks is exactly why this team is going to be great."

When we deal them: "Nobody that good could've been had in the first round anyways."

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
When we're starting rebuilding: "Depth of high picks is exactly why this team is going to be great."

When we deal them: "Nobody that good could've been had in the first round anyways."

That's still true. Nobody said we had to use those picks to draft players. In fact a lot of us knew and expected some of them would be moved in trades.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Murray practically told you that he was going to use a lot of the picks/prospects to get young NHL players. Why are you feigning surprise now?

While I haven't read every post in this and other threads, I don't see people saying that, and especially not as it pertains to this trade. That said, I don't think trading this pick for Lehner was any riskier than using that pick on Samsonov--which many, but not all, seemed to have been okay with.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Because instead of having to deal with all the headaches of an aging netminder or waiting for the next 3 years for Johansson, Peterson or Ullmark to develop they have a 23 year old with stretches of 82 games roughly under his belt. He has the size, and when on his game the upside is immense. He was my personal #1 target all offseason, though the cost was absorbent regardless. He's also cost controlled for the next 3 seasons.

Fair. But will he be a "first rounder" better than other options, like Neuvirth or enroth or Lindback?

Probably not.

Definitely not.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

exactly. Depth/Quantity in high picks and prospects is exactly how we were able to acquire the talent we've acquired.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
exactly. Depth/Quantity in high picks and prospects is exactly how we were able to acquire the talent we've acquired.

And still have an abundance of quality prospects.

Murray has done exactly what he told us he would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad