Confirmed with Link: Sabres Suspend Patrik Berglund for Failure to Report; Clears Waivers - Contract Terminated

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If it were health related, then why would a suspension be needed?
Health can cover a lot of things that could lead a player not to report. I don’t wont to speculate beyond that. As I said it may be nothing like that and as simple as being bitter over his role/usage/playing time.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
This is bizarre...I can’t even imagine what’s going on with him. Hopefully he’s okay.

Health can cover a lot of things that could lead a player not to report. I don’t wont to speculate beyond that. As I said it may be nothing like that and as simple as being bitter over his role/usage/playing time.

Could he have simply slept in and missed the charter to Washington?? Or they already there. So many thoughts.

We're left to speculate with the team unwilling to comment any further. Hopefully the beat writers will uncover the reasoning behind this.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It would be kind of funny if both teams had a guy leave while one was looking like the worst team in their league and the other had the fifth best record in theirs.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
J-Bot has him tied up in the basement so he can scratch his contract and gain cap space...

In all seriousness, this all seems weird and I hope there is a reasonable explanation.

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki

cd0bdf1063148674.gif
cd0bdf1063148674.gif

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Don't all the Swede guys look up to him? Jack calls him the Godfather.

Not good for the locker room. Don't need this kind of stuff on such a young team...

Hope it isn't as bad as it sounds.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Sounds like he took his ball and went home. Ironic that it comes a day after Botts interview with Lebrun where he stated that there are some players in Rochester that should come up and give the team a spark in the second half.

Maybe Botts master plan was to use Sobotka and Berglund as NHL depth for the first half of the season while Oloffson, Nylander and Smith marinated and then switch them after Christmas.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I hope that IF Olofsson is brought up, he isn't stuck on the 4th line where Berglund has been. My gut feeling is that Phil has Antipined him into this. And I'm starting to think this won't be the last time. Remember, Phil was brought in straight from hs and never really benched. He can't possibly know what it does to a player.

Reactions: SwedeDreams

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Okposo and Lehner both have had mental health issues and/or substance abuse issues in the past couple years, and neither got suspended by the team. Or anything other than support from the team.

This isn’t that.

Berglund must be openly and defiantly refusing to report to his job. Whether it’s because he’s mad at Housley, doesn’t like his situation or Buffalo, or wants to go back to Sweden, who knows?

If this ultimately leads to us clearing Berglund’s cap hit and Olofsson taking his roster spot, it’s a net positive, AFAIC.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
People keep talking about Oloffson...I think he’s the third forward to get a call up after Nylander and Smith.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad