Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Vinnie Hinostroza (1yr, $1.05 mil)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No he’s married now.

rimshot.png

3-2-5 in his last 7 for a guy who doesn't get PP time and doesn't get much ToI (under 15 minutes a night for a month). Liking his game lately, differentiating from how Caggiula and Bjork have performed in the "small, quick, pesky" winger category.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
rimshot.png

3-2-5 in his last 7 for a guy who doesn't get PP time and doesn't get much ToI (under 15 minutes a night for a month). Liking his game lately, differentiating from how Caggiula and Bjork have performed in the "small, quick, pesky" winger category.
has bypassed Bjork now, might deserve a 2 year extension ?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
A three-game scoring streak and some very energetic play over this last 4-5 game stretch as the team has played better, Hino looks more like the player we saw in the pre-season lately. Perhaps this is just a heater, but he's very engaged.

Yeah - it's startlingly noticeable. I was starting to hate on him, but he's returned to pre-season form. I like this version of Vinny. Somebody turned the power switch back on somehow.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
rimshot.png

Bjork is showing me absolutely nothing other than occasional bursts of speed. He's been a massive disappointment. I have him behind Eakin, Hayden and Caggiula on my mental depth chart. Hopefully he can "flip a switch" like Vinny just did, because I was told he has potential.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Bjork is showing me absolutely nothing other than occasional bursts of speed. He's been a massive disappointment. I have him behind Eakin, Hayden and Caggiula on my mental depth chart. Hopefully he can "flip a switch" like Vinny just did, because I was told he has potential.

I keep thinking I wish he’d play like Vinny does, but the dude just seems to lack the hockey brain. He doesn’t use his speed to the same effect, isn’t physical, doesn’t make the simple play. I like him for the memes, but it seems like he’s always going around the play, going east/west when he’s just gotta make contact and create pressure. I was excited when we got him from Boston, but I’m starting to think he was available for good reasons.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So... Vinnie's been probably their best summer signing of all their scratch-and-dent personnel on short-term deals. The question now... do they extend him or is it that he's motivated to play for his next contract that has him as engaged as he is? Do they flip him toward the deadline (some team is going to be interested for that pro-rated $1.05 million and his ES point production are a nice depth add) or is he someone who fits a utility role going forward with how he plays with pace?

Just looked at his TOI breakdown:

- 15th among forwards in PP ToI/Game
- 12th among forwards in PP ToI total for the season
- 11th among forwards in ToI/game with four or more games

Ice time is usually coin of the realm in determining scoring so it seems like at first blush that Hinostroza is getting the most out of his minutes. He's about even in OZ/DZ deployment so it's not that Granato is tipping the ice in his favor either.

I'm of a mind that I would like them to keep him but am torn because I don't know if comfort with an affordable extension squelches the fire in his game for one. And for another, I'm curious what sort of magic beans they get in trade return if they do send him out as a rental. I'm leaning toward wanting him to stay - that's my gut reaction.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
When we signed him my gut reactions was that he would probably be a top 9 contributor for us. Took him a little to get going but I love this guys game. When was the last time we had a player this tenacious? Maybe Kaleta? His motor is insane, sign this man now

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I would like to keep him for a 2x1.5-2 contract. I have no problem moving him but I don't think I'd move him for the offers we are likely to get for him. I'd say at least a 2nd is what I want and I don't think that would happen.

Reactions: brian_griffin

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Good on the short term, but I think his dips in play would drive me bonkers if here long term. Just another guy that can be replaced.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's difficult to replace speed. And his speed / motor completely negate his smallish size. There are several forwards who need to be upgraded before him; let's hope the Sabres do that first.
They’re going to upgrade a bunch of them with Quinn/Peterka/Krebs graduating and a healthy Mitts.

The following is just one of several top 9 combinations that are possible with the 4th line and depth.

Skinner/Mitts/Tuch
Krebs/Tage/Olofsson
Quinn/Cozens/Peterka
Girgs/XXX/Okposo

Asplund/Bjork

I’m not sure where Hino fits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Navy Goat

member 334057

They’re going to upgrade a bunch of them with Quinn/Peterka/Krebs graduating and a healthy Mitts.

The following is just one of several top 9 combinations that are possible with the 4th line and depth.

Skinner/Mitts/Tuch
Krebs/Tage/Olofsson
Quinn/Cozens/Peterka
Girgs/XXX/Okposo

Asplund/Bjork

I think Hino or even Jankowski can fit into a 4th line role and have this season without looking all that bad. With how things always seem to go in the NHL I'm sure we'll see injuries occur that shakes that up a bit. That said I'd still like to see them add someone into the bottom 6 that brings a little more of an edge to the roster make-up. Someone like Kunin or Greenway. Also Murray probably slots in as an extra forward also and is more useful than Bjork who they should probably just bury or try to trade if someone would take him for future considerations.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think Hino or even Jankowski can fit into a 4th line role and have this season without looking all that bad. With how things always seem to go in the NHL I'm sure we'll see injuries occur that shakes that up a bit. That said I'd still like to see them add someone into the bottom 6 that brings a little more of an edge to the roster make-up. Someone like Kunin or Greenway. Also Murray probably slots in as an extra forward also and is more useful than Bjork who they should probably just bury or try to trade if someone would take him for future considerations.

Injuries will occur but you only start the season with 23 players. Teams carry 14 forwards and I listed 13 above. They’ll likely need a 4th line center. It could be Asplund, Jankowski or sliding Girgs to center but its not going to be Hino.

I’d forgotten about Murray which would make 14 forwards. It will be interesting to see how they view him. I prefer Hino over Bjork as well.

Sign Larsson and reunite LOG for the 4th line.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Skinner/Mitts/Tuch
Krebs/Tage/Olofsson
Quinn/Cozens/Peterka
Girgs/XXX/Okposo

Asplund/Bjork

I don't know where exactly Hino fits either beyond this season but it is good to see a lineup where he'd be depth beyond the above. If signed, he'd likely play a decent amount due to injuries. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: joshjull

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Screw trading this guy at the deadline.

They need to resign him & find a way to fit him into the lineup moving forward.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It makes a lot of sense to re-sign him, but I think Adams will be too greedy for picks, I hope I'm wrong.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
It makes a lot of sense to re-sign him, but I think Adams will be too greedy for picks, I hope I'm wrong.
I mean a 4th or 5th has a 2-3% chance to make it ? Is there room for him on the roster for next season if Quinn/JJ up ?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I mean a 4th or 5th has a 2-3% chance to make it ? Is there room for him on the roster for next season if Quinn/JJ up ?
Well, we can't be sure that both will be in the NHL right away, nor do we know if a guy like Olofsson will be in the lineup next season. Injuries also have a big impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad