Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Vinnie Hinostroza (1yr, $1.05 mil)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pegula won't pay him $1.8M to play in the AHL. I hope they pay him $600K to buy him out.

They're going to have to pay someone though. They will still be getting to the cap floor.

Also funny that Bjork would be the man tossed out if Hino stays since he's the one who talked to Hino about coming to Buffalo.

• Haha
Reactions: Team Cozens

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Can't see anyone taking Bjork, unless you throw in a pick.

It's been mentioned here before. You buy out Bjork.

Cost is $600K. Saving $1.2M in Pegula bucks. You then sign Hino for $1.2M which is a raise for him. Pegula comes out even. Makes hockey sense and financial sense.
Send him to Rochester and he can still contribute $600K or so towards reaching the cap floor.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Vinnie's speed is exactly what this team need to retain. I personally would keep him over Asplund or VO.
1000% agree re: speed and the value of it, especially to the current Sabres.
I would keep Hinostroza over Asplund, if it came to that. I think a fully healthy VO is worth more than Hinostroza.
I don't think, right now, those decisions will need to be made unless either VO or Asplund are used to bring in a Vet RD.
Can't see anyone taking Bjork, unless you throw in a pick.

It's been mentioned here before. You buy out Bjork.

Cost is $600K. Saving $1.2M in Pegula bucks. You then sign Hino for $1.2M which is a raise for him. Pegula comes out even. Makes hockey sense and financial sense.
Assigning Bjork to Rochester makes more sense.

Reactions: Team Cozens

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Scott Wilson made $1,050,000 when he was waived to Roch
Right, he made his NHL salary in ROchester, but that NHL salary was likely also the Vet minimum given his age. Bjork is over the vet minimum. I don't know if the OP was referring to a Sabre being paid on a 1-way in Rochester/AHL/elsewhere, or Sabre (Moulson) being paid more than the minimum 1-way contract for their age / service / QO level in Roch/AHL/elsewhere.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Moulson off the top of my head. Maybe someone more recent...

Edit: Maybe Scott Wilson, although he was probably Vet minimum given his age.
My point exactly. Those moves are ancient history. Anything since Pegula went with the "effective, efficient, economic"?

JSD and CJ Smith were also on one-way contracts, but they were also not Kevyn Adams signings. Has KA acquired anyone or signed anyone to a one-way contract and assigned them to the AHL?

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My point exactly. Those moves are ancient history. Anything since Pegula went with the "effective, efficient, economic"?

JSD and CJ Smith were also on one-way contracts, but they were also not Kevyn Adams signings. Has KA acquired anyone or signed anyone to a one-way contract and assigned them to the AHL?

Not this season, no.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
When was the last time the Sabres bought a player out?
Touche.
But the economics make sense.

$600K buyout cost
$750K Hayden (not a huge Hayden fan, but he is a better 13th forward option than Bjork)
-----------
$1.35M

Saving $450K in real money. (Bjork making $1.8M)

Sign MacInnis/Janko/Malone who will be fine for Rochester rather than Bjork.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Touche.

$600K buyout cost
$750K Hayden (not a huge Hayden fan, but he is a better 13th forward option than Bjork)
-----------
$1.35M

Or you waive him and maybe someone claims him anyways and we make 15k.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Touche.

$600K buyout cost
-----------
$1.35M

You're forgetting Boychuk. $5 million for a player that contributes nothing but cap relief. Bjork can actually contribute in Rochester and be a potential call up.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
You're forgetting Boychuk. $5 million for a player that contributes nothing but cap relief. Bjork can actually contribute in Rochester and be a potential call up.
You're forgetting Boychuk's salary is $1.25M. There are reports that 60% of that is insured.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
You're forgetting Boychuk's salary is $1.25M. There are reports that 60% of that is insured.
Regardless they're paying a guy to do nothing and they're probably going to have to do the same next season. Pegula isn't going to interfere with how GMKA manages the cap. I don't think what they do with Bjork is significant.

Reactions: Digable5

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Hinostroza this year is a perfectly cromulant bottom 6 player on any but the absolute strongest of teams

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I have very little interest in signing Hinostroza unless there’s more roster turnover than I’m anticipating. We need to start increasing our standards.
Last time someone scored at Hino's pace on the 3rd line was Stafford in 06/07...and that's when the Sabres were good. I'm not sure what you're expecting for a 3rd liner?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Last time someone scored at Hino's pace on the 3rd line was Stafford in 06/07...and that's when the Sabres were good. I'm not sure what you're expecting for a 3rd liner?

And it's not like he's getting his points on the PP - it's all 5-on-5/ES production and 17 primary points is just fine.

Reactions: Kyndig

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I have very little interest in signing Hinostroza unless there’s more roster turnover than I’m anticipating. We need to start increasing our standards.

This is a bit silly. We are still going to have a tough time attracting quality free agents to come here even with our influx of high-quality youth on the horizon. If you can sign Hinostroza to a 2-yr deal for ~$4M I think you take that and run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad