Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Robin Lehner to a 1 year, 4M deal

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I think at this point everybody is pretty set in their opinion of Lehner. The data has been presented and interpreted and nobody's going to change their opinion without new data after the season starts. Arguing the same points loudly over and over again isn't going to convince anyone.

:deadhorse

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You think data will change peoples opinions, that's cute. :sarcasm:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
While I agree that was probably his intent, the article follows it up with him saying "this is how Housley wants to play"... which sort of implies that Bylsma didn't.

wgr said:
“If you watched the Stanley Cup Playoffs last year all the good teams like Pittsburgh, everyone defends, everyone comes back and everyone plays as a five-man unit and its fast forward and fast back to the defensive zone and I think that's what Phil wants. He doesn't want us to play slow, he wants to play fast and everyone attacks and everyone defends and we didn't do that last year.â€

I agree that Bylsma didn't have a fast team, didn't coach a fast paced system. Lehner's quote still seems aimed at the players not wanting to play as a 5 man unit last season, forwards weren't rushing back often enough to cover the defensive responsibilities they did have.

Lehner also said it wasn't the defenders; he had not issues with them. Seems it's about certain forwards willingness to rush back or make contact on the forecheck.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
A good goalie fixes all of those.

I'm a goalie. Your statement is true for the Hasek's and Price's of the world. For the rest of the mere mortals from the NHL level down to beer league, none of that is true. System and a good defense limits high percentage shots, second shots, lateral passing, net front activity, etc. All of that makes the goalies job easy and very technical. Corey Crawford is the best example, at the highest level of play, of a goalie who plays on a team which limits his high danger shots to a manageable number.

The PK is the most striking example of how team play effects the goaltender.

The myth is that goalies can turn the outcome of every game by being great. Those goalies exist. But you can count them on your hands over the past 30 years. And for fans, I get it. You see highlight reals, big saves, etc. and think that the goalie is pulling the team. In some cases it's true. Mostly, it's not. Mostly, the team is limiting chances so the goalie can make saves.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
How many games do you see this guy starting? I am trying to choose between him or Mason in a deep fantasy league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad