Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Mark Jankowski to 1yr 750k contract/Loan R2 to the Amerks

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I assume this means he’s getting called up.

EDIT: Or more accurately he is a Sabre right now since he signed with them. I don’t think being called up applies.

Last edited:
Reactions: jc17

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I've been wondering if they were going to do this. Jankowski's been good for the Amerks and has significant NHL experience. This clearly shows that they want to let the prospects marinate as long as possible and not rush anyone. To be honest, I don't mind sending R2 down either. He's been a little underwhelming and would probably benefit from some more time in the A to build up his ice time and confidence. Seems like a pretty smart move. If he plays well, he can stay up. If he doesn't, he probably wouldn't get claimed off of waivers anyway.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The move makes perfect sense. I wonder if Jankowski takes Hayden's place in the lineup?
He’s a center so probably not. This may get Girgs back on wing and reunite Girgs/Eakin/Okposo. They were only split up in an attempt to get better center play. They weren’t happy with what R2 was giving them there.

Hayden may still leave the lineup as this shuffling goes on.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Weird to me?

Playing great with Krebs. Veteran center, in a perfect spot for us in Roch...

Why sign him to bring him to Buf, unless someone was about to steal him from us??

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Weird to me?

Why sign him to bring him to Buf, unless someone was about to steal him from us??

He was known for his PKing in Calgary, even in Pittsburgh. It improves their options there. It doesn't seem that odd that playing well for a dozen games in the AHL got him an NHL deal.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He was known for his PKing in Calgary, even in Pittsburgh. It improves their options there. It doesn't seem that odd that playing well for a dozen games in the AHL got him an NHL deal.

Yeah, but it's not like we're in need of him. His best value right now is definitely helping Krebs along.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah, but it's not like we're in need of him. His best value right now is definitely helping Krebs along.

*shrug*

Maybe they made him a promise when he signed and he's fulfilled their criteria? It's not like Krebs has been a wreck in Roch. so far - he'll make it on his own, of that there should be no worry.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
*shrug*

Maybe they made him a promise when he signed and he's fulfilled their criteria? It's not like Krebs has been a wreck in Roch. so far - he'll make it on his own, of that there should be no worry.

Or....a Cody Eakin trade at peak value :D (One can hope)

Reactions: beerme1

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We needed another center to replace R2 and give us more depth at the position on the NHL roster. R2 needed to go down and get ice time.

These transactions accomplish those goals while keeping the kids in Rochester

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
We needed another center to replace R2 and give us more depth at the position on the NHL roster. R2 needed to go down and get ice time.

These transactions accomplish those goals while keeping the kids in Rochester

Thompson
Cozens
Girgensons
Eakin
Mittelstadt hopefully back soon.

I don't know about need another center...unless like I said above, Eakin isn't long for Buffalo.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Weird to me?

He was playing well enough in Rochester that he may have garnered interest from another NHL team. It would be make sense for them to allow KA to match.

Or was there an injury last night we don't know about? Mittlestadt had a setback?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'm looking at capfriendly and thinking, if this is a development year then you don't want Brett Murray or R2 being out of the lineup as the 13th forward for long.

Sucks for the Amerks, but it's about development.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Thompson
Cozens
Girgensons
Eakin

I don't know about need another center...unless like I said above, Eakin isn't long for Buffalo.

They prefer Girgs on the wing. They’ve used him at center twice in a pinch due to injury (Eakin) and poor play at the position (R2). But would have preferred R2 if he had shown enough. Now Jankowski takes that role.

When Mitts returns they have the option of moving Cozens to the wing if they want to. Not sure they would but its an option.

You’re very Amerks/Krebs centric in your thinking. Krebs should be able to figure out without playing with Jankowski. I liked them together largely because it was a stable linemate finally. Krebs had been moving around the lineup a lot when he got here.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thompson
Cozens
Girgensons
Eakin

Two thoughts - Gus is better on the wing and Mittelstadt is coming back off an injury that is usually rough to adapt to faceoffs. Also, Jankowski is a proven NHL PKer so it also gives them flexibility if they want to pull someone out who is seemingly only valued for their PKing like Bjork.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad