Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Dman IIya Lyubushkin (2 years, $2.75 AAV)

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
What about the advanced stats? I’m genuinely curious.
1657731719928.png

Looks like there wasn't much difference in shot attempts, fairly large difference in actual goals scored while they were together. But, real goals are so infrequent, there's always going to be some variability. The similar xGF would suggest him not killing the offense, as he's not the one expected to convert xG into real ones

His arizona stats make him look more like an offensive drag because all of the metrics are lower when he's out there.

And if there is some killing of offense, hopefully the defensive component makes up for it, Hey maybe it saves us on Power's next contract lol

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
View attachment 568497

Looks like there wasn't much difference in shot attempts, fairly large difference in actual goals scored while they were together. But, real goals are so infrequent, there's always going to be some variability. The similar xGF would suggest him not killing the offense, as he's not the one expected to convert xG into real ones

His arizona stats make him look more like an offensive drag because all of the metrics are lower when he's out there.

And if there is some killing of offense, hopefully the defensive component makes up for it, Hey maybe it saves us on Power's next contract lol

Thai is very helpful! Interesting

leafs fans will tell you he killed Reilly’s offense.

It looks like the advanced stats don’t really support what you are saying?

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Excellent signing! He is everything we needed in a RHD! We really needed a better penalty killer. Check! RHD. Check! 2nd pairing, or 3rd capable up moving up when needed. Check! Physical playing dman. Check! Term and AAV not restrictive to future cap or players. Check! BONUS: Russian to assist in building the future Russian connection this team has drafted. Check!

A+

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Excellent signing! He is everything we needed in a RHD! We really needed a better penalty killer. Check! RHD. Check! 2nd pairing, or 3rd capable up moving up when needed. Check! Physical playing dman. Check! Term and AAV not restrictive to future cap or players. Check! BONUS: Russian to assist in building the future Russian connection this team has drafted. Check!

A+

And despite what one negative Nancy said, he seems to pair fine with offensive players and doesn’t nerf their stats. Heck Toronto aquired him to pair with Reilly.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Bottom pair defender, slightly overpaid.

Happy with it the minute P.K. signs. Otherwise, it goes from a slightly overpaid bottom pair d I'm fine with, to Pegula being cheap on a top 4 add.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Bottom pair defender, slightly overpaid.

Happy with it the minute P.K. signs. Otherwise, I'll consider it a bad hole fill.
Yep. My immediate thought was we stil need a top 4 RD if we want to be taken seriously.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What are you talking about here, unhappy again? A good player, he has all the qualities that we need and of course he will not need to play 20+ minutes per game.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don’t think they are pushing out any of Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Joker, or Bryson as their five youngsters.

But who knows
Is Dahlin playing RD? It does change a lot if they decide to play him at RD moving forward.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Yep. My immediate thought was we stil need a top 4 RD if we want to be taken seriously.
I think KA looked hard at trades to make that 2nd pairing RD happen, but likely couldn't find the right player at anywhere near a reasonable price and term. If the cost creates other holes you have to fill that must be considered.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Really underrated, and quite happy with the cap hit and the term assigned to the deal. He was on my list for our team as the second best RHD option, based on team need and style of play. I love it!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
View attachment 568497

Go back to the season prior for Arizona if you don't mind. I recall he didn't have as much of a drag in '20-21 but I don't have them handy.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Is Dahlin playing RD? It does change a lot if they decide to play him at RD moving forward.
100% I think we saw the Sabre's plan for their #1 Pair with Samuelsson on LD and Dahlin RD, because both are capable of switching. Dahlin talked about preferring RD on offense and LD on defense. Normal 5 v 5 that means RD puts him on the offensive with Samuelsson having his back.

Reactions: Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
What are you talking about here, unhappy again? A good player, he has all the qualities that we need and of course he will not need to play 20+ minutes per game.
He’s a bottom pair RD at best. Brings physical play which is good. Jokiharju and Lyubushkin is pretty bad as your top RHD.

In a perfect world Jokiharju and Lyubushkin battle for 3 and 4 RD on the roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
View attachment 568497

Go back to the season prior for Arizona if you don't mind. I recall he didn't have as much of a drag in '20-21 but I don't have them handy.
In Feb I posted to go get him......can you beat that. :)

February 17th - 21/22 Roster Speculation Thread Part VIII

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He’s a bottom pair RD at best. Brings physical play which is good. Jokiharju and Lyubushkin is pretty bad as your top RHD.

In a perfect world Jokiharju and Lyubushkin battle for 3 and 4 RD on the roster.
Our top RHD RASMUS DAHLIN. And I'm sure of it. Let Jokiharju and Lyubushkin fight for a top 4 spot, also Bryson can play RD and Fitzgerald for a reserve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad