Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign Dalton Smith to 2-way NHL Contract

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
If Krueger didn't agree with the callup, why even play him? Could have gone 11-7

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If Krueger didn't agree with the callup, why even play him? Could have gone 11-7
Well, he played a minute and a half, it just looks weird. Miller is regularly a healthy scratch, Bogosian asked for trade, but then he played again, I don’t like some of Krueger's decisions, but maybe he asks for help in this way. I just don’t know what kind of relationship there is between GM and the head coach, they say in the press that everything is fine, but how it’s actually not very clear.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This is some kind of idiocy, the guy played a minute and a half and did not even really get into a fight. I have an increasing feeling that Krueger is not very happy with Botterill.
Not sure how long you've been watching the NHL, but Krueger reminds me a bit of Muckler in the way he is perfectly happy using 3 lines, double-shifting his star player, etc. Back in the day of Lafontaine-Mogilny, you would see tough guys get little to no ice time on the bench. Ruff even did this to some degree with Peters, who was kind of at the end of the tough-guy era. Of course, it remains to be seen if the NHL still has a place for this type of role, but I don't think anyone would deny what is happening is impacting the W/L column, and when you start to lose man games, something needs to happen.

I see this more of Krueger/Botterill addressing teams taking way too many liberties with the Sabres offensive forwards. Skinner has been brutalized out there, Dahlin could have been a franchise-altering situation. When the league isn't doing anything, then the team has to try and address with the tools that are available.

Reactions: jd1970

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
Not sure how long you've been watching the NHL, but Krueger reminds me a bit of Muckler in the way he is perfectly happy using 3 lines, double-shifting his star player, etc. Back in the day of Lafontaine-Mogilny, you would see tough guys get little to no ice time on the bench. Ruff even did this to some degree with Peters, who was kind of at the end of the tough-guy era. Of course, it remains to be seen if the NHL still has a place for this type of role, but I don't think anyone would deny what is happening is impacting the W/L column, and when you start to lose man games, something needs to happen.

I see this more of Krueger/Botterill addressing teams taking way too many liberties with the Sabres offensive forwards. Skinner has been brutalized out there, Dahlin could have been a franchise-altering situation. When the league isn't doing anything, then the team has to try and address with the tools that are available.
Late in the game, they went after Dahlin's head again.
He'll gave to learn to take care of himself.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
$700k is a yearly salary. He gets about $3.7k per day on the roster. If/when he goes back to Rochester his salary will drop to about $700 per day. So Smith earns an extra $3k for every day he spends on the NHL roster, beyond what he makes as his minor league salary.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Funny to see the Sabres and their PR social media accounts have not made a post about Smith being on waivers, which seems like for assignment.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
He will end his NHL career with more PIM than minutes played, I said it as a joke before, but I think it's going to be a reality. That has to be a first, right?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He will end his NHL career with more PIM than minutes played, I said it as a joke before, but I think it's going to be a reality. That has to be a first, right?

There are definitely some guys in the '70's and '80's who had that sort of call-up-to-chuck moments.

Reactions: Chippah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad