Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign Dahlin to a 3 Year Deal with an AAV of $6M

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I think a 3 year bridge was always the best choice for both sides. I think 6M AAV was a tad high, (Dahlin is not 2.5 times better than Joker) but Dahlin has not done enough to justify an 8 year X 9-10M contract. Imagine if you sign that contract and he doesn't become everything you are hoping for. This team has had too many anchor contracts and KA is rightly trying to eliminate the ones he inherited and prevent them in the future. If Dahlin doesn't become a stud then the Sabers will have ways out in a reasonable time period. If Dahlin makes a big leap in the next year or two, you do not have to wait till the end of the third year to give him an extension. This was the right choice.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
That’s not why Reinhart left. He had a two year bridge deal. After we should have committed to him long term. Instead we went one year. He mentioned the team not willing to commit to him as part of the reason he wanted out.
Let's also be real and assume with Jack and Sam being close, Jack was in his ear telling him he was out the door. Our Captain, the leader of men.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Let's also be real and assume with Jack and Sam being close, Jack was in his ear telling him he was out the door. Our Captain, the leader of men.

It's so damn funny that fans convince themselves that this stuff was actually going on, when Reinhart didn't need Jack telling him anything, he had his own issues with the team that gave him his own motivation to leave.

But the cherry on top is making up this imaginary situation in your head, and then you're counting it against Jack as if it was factual. It's quite amazing the amount of scenarios and ideas that fans make up in their head, JUST so they can be angry with these players about.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That could happen. But honestly at the end of this 3 year deal, I think it's either long term extension or offseason trade.

Not much point in a 1 year QO just for a deadline move.
Good thing Kevyn made the brilliant decision to punt the next several seasons to save his completely unqualified ass. This is the worst organization in all of pro sports.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
That could happen. But honestly at the end of this 3 year deal, I think it's either long term extension or offseason trade.

Not much point in a 1 year QO just for a deadline move.
I don't have a problem with that. If he's not amenable to an extension he should be easy to move and fetch a nice return.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If these 3 years are our chance to show Dahlin he should commit long-term…then yikes. We’re gonna finish 30th-32nd this year, I’d guess 32nd.

So better hope we improve really fast.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Then he could hold out. The Sabres will never have more leverage than they did this summer-- Dahlin was an RFA with no arbitration rights and no offer sheet eligibility. Losing a partial season from him now would easily be preferable to losing years later because we folded under the weight of a feather.

I'm not going to be a team apologist here. This is a bad contract for the team in every regard, and there's just no reason for it to be.

I thought he could be OS this summer with 3 yrs. did something change? Risto after his ELC I think didn’t accrue a season and couldn’t get OS and his contract had only 1 UFA year.

I disagree on it being a bad contract. I’d rather sign someone to a 2-3 yr bridge Thrn 7-8 yr contract than do two 7-8 yr contracts.

Reactions: JThorne

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
It's a bridge deal that pays for potential, which literally makes no sense. Because he hasn't earned it with his play yet (even if part of that was because he had a shitty coach).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Check back in 2 summers when

1 Power is signed and has played
2. We know who are 22 and 23 picks are
3. Figure we have an Eichel return from a trade.

if you need to he can be traded.

Reactions: Bendium and elchud

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The galaxy brain takes I am seeing in this thread are making me want to slam my head against the wall until I'm unconscious.

Reactions: Onry

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
No player is going to take a discount to sign here, period. None of our RFAs did, they all got market (Asplund, Joker) or better (Mittelstadt, Dahlin). Until we have a consistent playoff team, no players will be doing us no favors contract wise.

There's an assortment of hometown discounts available to the Sabres to meet every situation.

s-l1600.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad