Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign Dahlin to a 3 Year Deal with an AAV of $6M

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
In my opinion, although glad Dahlin has signed, he has not performed at a level worthy of the new contract. Further if he needs better players around him to excel then he will find it even more difficult to justify it. I would really like to see him get a better first step, a harder shot from the point, and better defensive awareness. I admire his mobility, vision etc., but that is not enough...

Reactions: Bendium

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
In my opinion, although glad Dahlin has signed, he has not performed at a level worthy of the new contract. Further if he needs better players around him to excel then he will find it even more difficult to justify it. I would really like to see him get a better first step, a harder shot from the point, and better defensive awareness. I admire his mobility, vision etc., but that is not enough...
OK one more time for the people in the back:

DAHLIN WAS LITERALLY BEING SABOTAGED AND DESTROYED BY THE BIGGEST IMBECILE TO EVER COACH IN THE NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE AND THE SECOND THIS CONMAN FRAUD WAS FIRED HE WENT BACK TO LOOKING LIKE THE GUY IT WAS BULLSHIT DIDN'T WIN THE CALDER.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I accept that he is overpaid by 1 million a year.

So what? Why so mad? Its not 6 more years of Skinner

Is this about 1 million (or 2, whatever) for the yacht fund? What am I missing?

Reactions: Ralonzo and JThorne

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
It's not the money, it's the term that's disappointing.

I agree. But 3 was the only number that both sides would accept.

Its like the return for Reinhart. Its all very disappointing.

I dont think KA is an idiot. Im sure he wanted a differently shaped contract.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Contracts have to be taken in context. I agree the coaching Dahlin and others--even Ristoleinen {although most posters here blame him for his issues as much as coaching if not more}-received was below par. What I pointed to had more to do with his skillset-things he can work on on his own-save and except conforming to a proper defensive scheme. He is after all a defensemen--someone I would like to trust on the ice when the Bruins, the Leafs, the Bolts or Avs are pressing for a tying goal. He has the size and youth on his side and hopefully he will develop-but right now I have no faith in him being first on the puck in our end, winning battles on the boards, clearing out the crease etc..He should improve from his horrible giveaways and I am all in favour of giving him a green light to take the puck and go if he has the right partner on D and someone on the forward line to cover for him if needed. After all I loved seeing Gil do that as a rookie and even a conservative Imlach let him do just that. I am excited about Dahlin's talents and hope he develops into what we thought we were drafting-a generational defensemen.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
It's not the money, it's the term that's disappointing.
Im sure the sabres wanted a 1x2.5 or a 2x2 but guess who wasnt going to sign that? Im sure the Sabres would have gone 8x5M but also guess who isnt signing that? You act like the team can just say heres the contract, sign it. You have a 1OV pick that was good before and after RK. Shut up with the 3 year term.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Im sure the sabres wanted a 1x2.5 or a 2x2 but guess who wasnt going to sign that? Im sure the Sabres would have gone 8x5M but also guess who isnt signing that? You act like the team can just say heres the contract, sign it. You have a 1OV pick that was good before and after RK. Shut up with the 3 year term.

$6 Million for 1 or 2 years would've been preferable. $8 by 5 would've been awful because it only buys 1 UFA year. There's a couple posts here that are like yours. "wOuLd YoU rather tHeY pay $12 mIlLiOn??" "hE wAsNt gOiNg tO sIgN for $2 mIlLiOn" while throwing out random numbers.

I'm not necessarily even saying Adams failed here but the contract is more favorable to Dahlin than the Sabres. It walks him to potential arbitration or offer sheet with a big QO. But it's not surprising.

It's whatever. The Sabres better be in better position by the time Dahlin's bridge ends.

Reactions: Zman5778

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
$6 Million for 1 or 2 years would've been preferable. $8 by 5 would've been awful because it only buys 1 UFA year. There's a couple posts here that are like yours. "wOuLd YoU rather tHeY pay $12 mIlLiOn??" "hE wAsNt gOiNg tO sIgN for $2 mIlLiOn" while throwing out random numbers.

I'm not necessarily even saying Adams failed here but the contract is more favorable to Dahlin than the Sabres. It walks him to potential arbitration or offer sheet with a big QO. But it's not surprising.

It's whatever. The Sabres better be in better position by the time Dahlin's bridge ends.
Again the Sabres likely wanted a 2 year deal which was declined (obviously). You either have another hold out going into camp with your best player or bet on the team getting better in the 3 years you sign him for. The player earning a big pay day is a large part of that. Agents get paid to do a job, and a 4 year contract gave Dahlin the absolute maximum amount of leverage. a 3 year deal is a good compromise between a 2 and a 4. I said 8 x 5M not 5x8M. That would be stupid and only the Leafs manage to give their superstar a 5 year max AAV deal because they got bent over.

Reactions: JThorne

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
Dahlin Eichel and Reinhart

The difference, of course, is that Dahlin's suffering this organization's cumulative incompetence was shorter for him. Hopefully, they have found their way to work to improvement before he and the current crop break too

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
The difference, of course, is that Dahlin's suffering this organization's cumulative incompetence was shorter for him. Hopefully, they have found their way to work to improvement before he and the current crop break too

The part that i am fully on Eichel s side is replacing Berglund for whatever price and dumping Hutton and even not firing Kreuger.. No win now when we could've... Hopefully this bs us behind us.. It's clearly affected trust.. Thanks For Donny., his attitude is what Dahlin and the kids need.. Risk without worrying about mistakes.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
This contract's AAV looks horrible in hindsight when Hughes signed for 3 more years than Dahlin at a million and a half more.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
This contract's AAV looks horrible in hindsight when Hughes signed for 3 more years than Dahlin at a million and a half more.
Maybe Hughes would like to stay in Vancouver for this period, but Dahlin is not or does not yet know.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

It looked horrible at the time. The Sabres lost every aspect of this contract negotiation. Term sucks -- the only worse term they could've gotten than 3 years was 4 -- and the AAV is a clear overpay for RFA years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad