Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign D Connor Clifton to a 3 year deal worth $10 million ($3.33M AAV)

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't know about "sucks" but he was a 3rd RHD in Boston and got benched for most of their playoff series loss to FL. He gets by on playing/hitting above his weight class, but very often wanders out of position. I think a D-man like that going to a new team that's just starting to learn a defensive structure is a bad combo. His energy is off-set by routinely leaving guys open or not forcing them into difficult areas of the ice.

This summer I hope for KA to target a UFA like Pesce, Matt Roy, DeMelo, or maybe Hanifin. Joker can slot down to 3RHD. I know this is like hoping I win the lottery tomorrow though, so...
Thanks for regurgitating the same thing everyone else has already said about him in this thread. Lazy stuff.

He played for TWO MORE minutes per game all season on a team that broke records for number of wins, so I’m not buying any of what you are selling.

He was able to eat up a ton of minutes for them because they knew how to use him, and had a well-built team around him so that they could leverage his strengths, and mitigate his weaknesses. They have a well-balanced team, good culture, and good coaching, and we have none of that and it shows.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Thanks for regurgitating the same thing everyone else has already said about him in this thread. Lazy stuff.

He played for TWO MORE minutes per game all season on a team that broke records for number of wins, so I’m not buying any of what you are selling.

He was able to eat up a ton of minutes for them because they knew how to use him, and had a well-built team around him so that they could leverage his strengths, and mitigate his weaknesses. They have a well-balanced team, good culture, and good coaching, and we have none of that and it shows.
Uh...ok? Damn it's like you think I'm looking for some argument here. I'm not, and how would I know what you've read in this thread or not?

At risk of "regurgitating" something I've already posted, I think he and EJ are MUCH better than the depth we rolled out last season. OTOH, I never thought he would be a good option for 2nd pair, and now after 20 games I think he's the best option as the 7th guy. Forget about Boston, right here in Buffalo after 20 games he looks better than Bryson and that's it. For sure with better coaching etc he would likely be better, like everyone else. For now, he doesn't look so good. By all means have your own opinion. I sure as shit aren't trying to sell you mine.

Reactions: HaNotsri and zuikan

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Uh...ok? Damn it's like you think I'm looking for some argument here. I'm not, and how would I know what you've read in this thread or not?

At risk of "regurgitating" something I've already posted, I think he and EJ are MUCH better than the depth we rolled out last season. OTOH, I never thought he would be a good option for 2nd pair, and now after 20 games I think he's the best option as the 7th guy. Forget about Boston, right here in Buffalo after 20 games he looks better than Bryson and that's it. For sure with better coaching etc he would likely be better, like everyone else. For now, he doesn't look so good. By all means have your own opinion. I sure as shit aren't trying to sell you mine.

He’d probably also look better playing his natural right side, as opposed to the left side

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Has he been playing with Power lately? If so, how has he looked?
He has simplified his game and it is markedly improved. Short crisp outlets. In and out on pinches. Physical in front and behind his own net. I believe this is the guy they were getting from the get go. He masks some of Power‘s shortcomings. Power has been a tad more aggressive when they are paired together. If he avoids the brain farts, he can contribute significantly. His last two games were his best so far.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He has simplified his game and it is markedly improved. Short crisp outlets. In and out on pinches. Physical in front and behind his own net. I believe this is the guy they were getting from the get go. He masks some of Power‘s shortcomings. Power has been a tad more aggressive when they are paired together. If he avoids the brain farts, he can contribute significantly. His last two games were his best so far.

He's had some timely transitions and pinches in this stretch too.

I like that he consistently looks for opportunities to put people off balance or on their ass - something I wish more of the defense did as a matter of course, not as a "must seek out killing someone".

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Cliffy/EJ on the PK have replaced Boosh/Joki/Fitz and that's been a marked help in getting the PK out of the doldrums. Jokiharju went from one of their top 3 PK defensemen to 6th this year in SHTOI/game. And of course, the drifting puck watching of Fitz and Boosh's over zealous pursuit are now not part of the equation too so that's been helpful.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Cliffy/EJ on the PK have replaced Boosh/Joki/Fitz and that's been a marked help in getting the PK out of the doldrums. Jokiharju went from one of their top 3 PK defensemen to 6th this year in SHTOI/game. And of course, the drifting puck watching of Fitz and Boosh's over zealous pursuit are now not part of the equation too so that's been helpful.
Sadly whatever improvements we've gotten from the bottom 3 or 4 on D have been more than offset but the regression of our top 3. Hopefully they all start trending up to finish off the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad