Sabres Shootouts

StarvingHysterical

Oct 18, 2014
Has anyone noticed the Sabres aren't that bad at shootouts? Is this true? And why would this be when they're bad at most everything else? Are they gaining confidence from having gotten to the shootout in the first place? Any critical analysis for why this is? Thanks.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
I'm pretty sure we've been quite successful at shootouts since their conception, for whatever reason. Miller is the all-time leader in shootout victories, we seem to always have decent shooters, almost niche shooters (thinking Kotalik), if we make it past overtime, I've always liked our chances. It seems like we've found another ace in Girgensons.

Good teams =/= good shootout teams, though. I remember Edmonton going on a tear in the shootout, something like 15 straight victories, back when they drafted Hall or close to that time.

Bps21*

Which basically means they're even worse at actual hockey than they even appear since this skills competition artificially inflates their point totals.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
It doesn't say anything about how good or bad the team has been.

It just means that the Sabres have tended to have goalies (primarily Miller) who are above average at stopping penalty shot situations.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
what's interesting to me is everyone thought that this year we wouldn't get as many shootout victories without miller, and yet we've won both shootouts we've made it to. Go figure.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
what's interesting to me is everyone thought that this year we wouldn't get as many shootout victories without miller, and yet we've won both shootouts we've made it to. Go figure.

Are you comparing results of 13 games in vs. results of 82 game seasons?

Save this post until game 82. You may turn out to be right in the end. Nothing wrong at having that opinion over the summer. 13 games in is jack squat.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

Save this post until game 82. You may turn out to be right in the end. Nothing wrong at having that opinion over the summer. 13 games in is jack squat.

Might be right in the end about what? All I said was that we're expecting the sabres to lose more shootouts, and we ironically haven't lost any yet. That's not a statement that one needs to wait 82 games to determine if it is right or wrong. It just is.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY

Enroth has always been pretty solid in shootouts. I don't see our percentage of shootout wins changing that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad