Sabres salary cap issues

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
There are no issues. We will be cap compliant without having to lose a quality contributor. And next summer we will have space to go hard after a marquee UFA even assuming Reinhart gets 7 mil per.

The Sabres have ONE contract longer then this upcoming year that can be considered bad. The rest, like Scandella, Bogo and Sobotka are gone next summer. The fact we have over 12+ mil tied up in 3 guys who honestly aren't even worthy of being on the 23 man roster is the only issue we have with the cap. And they are gone next July 1st. Hell, just from those 3 contracts alone will cover the entirety of Reinharts raise (3-4 mil) and most of a big ticket UFA next summer (Like a Taylor Hall for 11-12 mil per)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What issues? I'm confused here I guess

People are simply looking at CapFriendly, they see that the roster that CapFriendly has (13 F 9 D & 2 G) is over the cap and they go :scared:

The thing is that they can make some really simple moves like waiving Hunwick and Nelson to Rochester and they are cap compliant.

And given that they have 10 of those 24 players currently listed on the roster as UFAs next summer, there is plenty of cap flexibility for next summer when Reinhart, ERod, Mitts, Montour, and Ullmark will need new deals.

The toughest part about the cap situation for this year is that they are so close to the cap that bonuses for Dahlin and Mitts have a chance of hitting next year's cap.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Denial is a powerful defense mechanism The passengers on the Titanic were the last to realize the ship was sinking. The bankers didn't see the financial crisis coming until they were consumed by it. Charles Manson didn't think he was crazy. Is it getting warmer? Are we in salary cap hell and don't realize it?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Denial is a powerful defense mechanism The passengers on the Titanic were the last to realize the ship was sinking. The bankers didn't see the financial crisis coming until they were consumed by it. Charles Manson didn't think he was crazy. Is it getting warmer? Are we in salary cap hell and don't realize it?

nah, just regular Buffalo Sports hell.

"This year will be different, I can feel it!"

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
We have $37 million of our current $82 million cap hit coming off the books next season. I fail to see how we're in any sort of cap danger.

realistically in 2020 after signing RFAs they may have $10M-$12M to play with assuming no trades occur of current roaster controlled players in 2020.

Any trades of non UFa players out or salaries coming back dfor 2020 will affect that $10-$12M space to play with.

Dahlin ELC space-->UPL ELC space
Dahlin new contract= cap increase for 2020 and 2021 and Hutton coming off the books.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, I went to Cap Friendly today to see about the Sabres cap issues.

If you take the roster that CF has for the Sabres today that is over the cap, you demote Hunwick & Nelson and promote VO, you are $60k below the cap.

And that is with Bogosian back from his injury.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
So, I went to Cap Friendly today to see about the Sabres cap issues.

If you take the roster that CF has for the Sabres today that is over the cap, you demote Hunwick & Nelson and promote VO, you are $60k below the cap.

And that is with Bogosian back from his injury.
Bogosian being out only makes the cap easier to manage if you can get a long-term injury exemption on him, which requires a physician's opinion that he'll be out at least 24 days. If he's projected to only miss two weeks at the start of the season, or a similar non-LTIR eligible amount of time, then Bogosian being out makes things more difficult.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Bogosian being out only makes the cap easier to manage if you can get a long-term injury exemption on him, which requires a physician's opinion that he'll be out at least 24 days. If he's projected to only miss two weeks at the start of the season, or a similar non-LTIR eligible amount of time, then Bogosian being out makes things more difficult.

Don't rookie bonuses bounce to next year once you use LTIR

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Only way we're in cap hell is if we continue to play terrible and have to overpay guys to get ourselves out of a competitive rut. Otherwise, thinking we are in cap hell because we are against the cap in the year before a lot of contracts come off the books is comical.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
we are obviously absolutely in salary cap danger if we are over the cap today, before the season has begun. how could botteril let this happen? I thought he was a cap genius

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
we are obviously absolutely in salary cap danger if we are over the cap today, before the season has begun. how could botteril let this happen? I thought he was a cap genius

MF0Gqz5.gif

Reactions: Dingo44

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Do we have anyone unsigned? Cap hell? We can just send down two useless players like already said in Sobotka and Hunwick. Cap hell is Toronto.

Assuming the cap only goes up the 2 mil it did this past year (will likely go up more then that) the Sabres will have over 48 million in cap space. The only players that need new deals that are core pieces is Reinhart, Montour and Mittelstadt. At most that will be ~14 mil. The UFA/RFas are guys like Sheary, Vesey, ERod, Ullmark,Girgs and Larsson. So pretty much easily replaceable players. After re-signing the players that matter and the UFAs the Sabres will have enough money to go after 2 big $ prize free agents next summer.

Cap hell? No, this team is finally trending in the right place with the cap. Only Okposo has a bad contract. We will have the $ to go after the Halls, Backstroms etc. Getting them to want to come to Buffalo is the only issue not the salary. My guess is Botts does nab one of the premier free agent forwards Next year and keeps a few mil off the books for the following year in order to afford Dahlins likely 11+ mil aav deal.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Do we have anyone unsigned? Cap hell? We can just send down two useless players like already said in Sobotka and Hunwick. Cap hell is Toronto.

Assuming the cap only goes up the 2 mil it did this past year (will likely go up more then that) the Sabres will have over 48 million in cap space. The only players that need new deals that are core pieces is Reinhart, Montour and Mittelstadt. At most that will be ~14 mil. The UFA/RFas are guys like Sheary, Vesey, ERod, Ullmark,Girgs and Larsson. So pretty much easily replaceable players. After re-signing the players that matter and the UFAs the Sabres will have enough money to go after 2 big $ prize free agents next summer.

Cap hell? No, this team is finally trending in the right place with the cap. Only Okposo has a bad contract. We will have the $ to go after the Halls, Backstroms etc. Getting them to want to come to Buffalo is the only issue not the salary. My guess is Botts does nab one of the premier free agent forwards Next year and keeps a few mil off the books for the following year in order to afford Dahlins likely 11+ mil aav deal.
I was joking bruh. put ur pants back on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad