Sabres RFA QO list; McBain, Knapp, Conacher, MacKenzie, Crawford not qualified

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bagnall, Ruhwedel, McCabe are locks in Rochester. Ristolainen is 50/50. Pysyk will be in Buffalo.

To start the season...

Bagnall
Ruhwedel
McCabe
Ristolainen
Veteran
Veteran
Austin

Leduc in Elmira. This is ideal in my mind.

lol ... I almost asked who the hell "Veteran" was and does he have a brother ..... caught myself before sending tho.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Zadorov + Pysyk if they go sign a few UFA D men

Ruh, Risto, McCabe, Austin, Bagnall, JGL, Pysyk

The only locks right now for Buff are Myers and Weber, also having Z up if they think hes ready wont hurt the depth in Roch.

:shakehead

Bagnall, Ruhwedel, McCabe are locks in Rochester. Ristolainen is 50/50. Pysyk will be in Buffalo.

Someone gets it - there's no benefit to letting Pysyk play another year in AHL when he proved more than ready for full-time NHL duty. ;)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The Sabres need Pysyk. He can provide minutes of solid, consistent own-zone play that simply can't assume will come from anyone else. He's ready. Ristolainen is more up in the air, and I could see it going either way out of camp, but he'll see plenty of action with the big club one way or another.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
The Sabres need Pysyk. He can provide minutes of solid, consistent own-zone play that simply can't assume will come from anyone else. He's ready. Ristolainen is more up in the air, and I could see it going either way out of camp, but he'll see plenty of action with the big club one way or another.

Agreed. Pysyk is plenty ready, and he's old enough now to weather the storm next year without much repercussion.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Still at only 39 contracts with Zadorov and Ullmark included and assuming all of the qualified RFAs return. I'm not sure if this Conacher non-qualifying had anything to do with the 50 contract limit or not. I think it would have been worth it to qualify him, bring him back on that one year $925k deal, and bury him in the minors if he doesn't make the team or they can't reach the cap floor with him on the roster. Worst case scenario, he gets claimed by another team when we put him on waivers and he leaves the organization. If he doesn't get claimed, we have a great AHL scorer and veteran to play with Grigorenko or Larsson in Rochester. I know Reinhart has to be signed and they'll want to leave a few contract slots open to have some flexibility during the season, but will they really add 6-7 more players before the start of the season?

And they're nowhere near that 90 player reserve limit yet.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I'm sorry, but I do not even remotely buy the idea that a defenseman is going to make his goalie able to save the puck at a Vezina-level save percentage. It's much more easily attributable to just plain old luck.

As for why Corsi is used over goals scored metrics, it has to do with sample size. Goals are rare. Shots are much less rare. Shots correlate with goals. Goal samples are filled with far too much statistical noise, but shots are much less so. That's why shots are used for advanced stats rather than goals.

In McBain's case in particular, looking at his shot numbers and goal numbers indicates that the discrepancy between the two is due to an abnormally high save percentage. There is no reason to think that's reliable or sustainable or any indication of McBain's actual skill level.
If your central argument is a small sample size, increase the sample size and take a look at his stats in the 200+ games with Canes. He's got better stats when compared to, for instance, Justin Faulk or Tim Gleason and he's on par with most other defensemen.

He's not an elite player, but he's a decent bottom-pairing guy whose contribution this past season hasn't been as horrendous as one would assume judging by this thread.

He's not exactly going to create a gaping hole in the Sabres defense, but the overall quality of the D corps has decreased with him leaving, unless the plan is to spend money in FA and sign not one, but a few defensemen.

If that's not the case, with Ehrhoff/McBain gone (and McNabb, btw) the Sabres are left with Pysyk/McCabe/Ristolainen as the alternatives to the role Ehrhoff and McBain played on this team. And if you compare their stats and disregard their age or potential, it's pretty obvious that this move would only work in favor of the tank.

Bps21*

We can't seriously be having a McBain wasn't a tire fire conversation.

The nicest thing his numbers with the Sabres tell you is that his partner, Weber, was worse.

He was an unmitigated disaster...and he was so while he played the easiest competition of any D on the team.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
If your central argument is a small sample size, increase the sample size and take a look at his stats in the 200+ games with Canes. He's got better stats when compared to, for instance, Justin Faulk or Tim Gleason and he's on par with most other defensemen.

He's not an elite player, but he's a decent bottom-pairing guy whose contribution this past season hasn't been as horrendous as one would assume judging by this thread.

He's not exactly going to create a gaping hole in the Sabres defense, but the overall quality of the D corps has decreased with him leaving, unless the plan is to spend money in FA and sign not one, but a few defensemen.

If that's not the case, with Ehrhoff/McBain gone (and McNabb, btw) the Sabres are left with Pysyk/McCabe/Ristolainen as the alternatives to the role Ehrhoff and McBain played on this team. And if you compare their stats and disregard their age or potential, it's pretty obvious that this move would only work in favor of the tank.

He brought something we didn't have elsewhere. His offensive contributions were tainted by his abysmal defensive play and the fact that a lot of what he created for the offense was rarely capitalized on.

I'm indifferent.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
:shakehead

Someone gets it - there's no benefit to letting Pysyk play another year in AHL when he proved more than ready for full-time NHL duty. ;)
He would still have to earn the spot in camp over Z and Risto, we sign 2 or maybe 3 vets for the D Corp, one of the signings will probably be for the #7, unless they keep Ruh up for that instead of being in Roch, barring any injuries Z, Risto, and Pysyk won't all be up and play in Buff at the same time, Z may get his 9 and go back to London.

Pysyk may have the advantage having more experience, but I dont think he would be guaranteed a spot on the roster before camp.

How much longer is he waiver exempt, cause that may also work in his favor.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He would still have to earn the spot in camp over Z and Risto, we sign 2 or maybe 3 vets for the D Corp, one of the signings will probably be for the #7, unless they keep Ruh up for that instead of being in Roch, barring any injuries Z, Risto, and Pysyk won't all be up and play in Buff at the same time, Z may get his 9 and go back to London.

Pysyk may have the advantage having more experience, but I dont think he would be guaranteed a spot on the roster before camp.

He may not be guaranteed a spot but he should be penciled in for one, while Zadorov merely has an outside shot.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND

He's exempt for the rest of the season or until he plays 80 games this year, so that won't really be a factor. He'd be able to be sent down any time during the season (until after those AHL roster rules go into effect late in the season).

He's definitely by far the most likely of those three to be on the roster this year, and he's about as close as he can be to having a guaranteed roster spot IMO.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad